• Alpay
    • Olof Mellberg
    • Ronny Johnsen
    • Liam Ridgewell
    • Martin Laursen
    • Curtis Davies
    • Zat Knight
    • Gary Cahill

...Southgate comes second only to McGrath in the list of defenders I've seen in our colours, superb player.
Not in my book. He was a very good player, but personally I'd say Martin Laursen and Allan Evans definitely, and by a distance, and possibly Olly were all better defenders than Gareth Southgate.

I voted for Laursen and Olly.

Southgate and Mellberg for me. Southgate wasn't as good a defender as say, Ollie and Laursen, but he made up for it by being a much better footballer. He and Ehiogu were pretty much the perfect defensive pairing in my opinion. The solid-as-a-rock, tackle an oncoming steam train type (Ehiogu) and the cultured ball player (Southgate).

Southgate was the best player. Southgate and Laursen would be the best pair. Id give Southgate the captains armband too.

agreed Voted for Southers.

Laursen would be my 2nd pick

Totally agree and said much the same earlier in the thread.

Southgate comes second only to McGrath in the list of defenders I've seen in our colours, superb player.

yep.

I think the fact that it looks like he isn't going to make it into the first 11 in our team is a sad indictment on us fans.

Before condemning all Villa fans take a look at what the poll is about. I doubt you would have liked Southgate's contributions to Villa in this decade.

Mellberg represents the 00's for Villa,and not just the defensive line. If not for him we would have been in the fizzy pop league. Excellent and underrated player due to the cack he was surrounded with. True legend.

I think the fact that it looks like he isn't going to make it into the first 11 in our team is a sad indictment on us fans.

How when the poll is about this ten years? If it was the 90's then fair enough but Southgate wasn't with us long in this decade after handing in a transfer request at the end of the 99/00 season before leaving in 2001.

Who voted Cahill? Get over it man!!!
Well clearly there's someone else who's allowed himself to be swayed by an own goal and voted for Ridgewell!

Changing the subject, one thing that does my head in is when I stumble on a little batch of Villa clips on YouTube and the obsession that some bluenose bastard(s?) has with posting 'greatest goal ever'. You click on it and there's Olly preparing to take a quick throw...

:rant:

Well, for me Laursen and Mellberg. It just has to be.

Southgate was awesome, but when he left it did leave a sour taste in my mouth.

So I voted for Olly, because for two or three years he wasn't far of Laursen like excellence (and Laursen will probably piss this one).

Can't believe Mellberg is getting more votes than Southgate.

Over the course of their respective Villa careers then I think Southgate and also Ehiogu where better, however if you are talking about post 2000 then Olly is a MUST for a team of the 2000's. He was with us for a long time in that period, through some pretty shit times too. Always gave his all.

Southgate was here for what 1.5 seasons after the turn of the millennium so I think that's why he is not ahead of Olly.

I suspect if there was a poll for the team since the Premiership began then I think Southgate would beat Mellberg overall.

Although saying that a lot of fans will be swayed by the way Southgate left the club versus the way Mellberg left.

Would be interested to see how a poll of the best team since the formation of the premiership would progress...

Can't believe Mellberg is getting more votes than Southgate.

I can. I think Southgate was brilliant, but better before the turn of the decade. Mellberg almost single handedly kept this club in the premier league in the year of Taylor II and was a friggin monster for a couple of seasons under DOL too.

Plus he's a legend. Any best XI without him would be wrong.

Actually you guys have a fair point. Most of Southgates achievements were before year 2000, i kind of considered the 4th/5th place finish, FA cup semi final etc to be in the last 10 years. Time flies, eh? :)

However, that aside, leading us to an FA cup final and generally being a big player, influential captain that cemented himself as a solid England international, i'd still favour Southgate over Mellberg. Mellberg was unlucky enough to be around at a really bad period and though he was a shining light in generally bad times, i personally just think Laursen/Southgate should represent the two best centrebacks.

Not in my book. He was a very good player, but personally I'd say Martin Laursen and Allan Evans definitely, and by a distance, and possibly Olly were all better defenders than Gareth Southgate.

I voted for Laursen and Olly.

Fair enough mate, horses for courses. Allan Evans was a very good player I remember that but was just a little early in my football watching days to make a meaningful assesment of him in relation to players of later years.

I loved Mellberg but I honestly don't think he was a better defender or all around player than Southgate although I do conceed that PB is right Southgate was more of a 90's player than a 00's.

So on that basis and that basis alone I will change my original vote from Southgate to Mellberg as a partner to Laursen because PB is right, in the context of this poll its the right decision.

I voted for Southgate as I think he's the best player on the list. However, just as I'd submitted my vote I changed my mind considering the time the question was meant to cover. for me, the two best defenders during this decade has to be Laursen and Mellberg. Wouldn't beat Southgate-Ehiogu in their prime, though.

Â