Peace Cup - Porto - 2009/07/31 - Ratings and reactions.

LancsVillan

Grygera with a dirty cynical tackle on Ronaldo. Totally unnecessary. Ronaldo goes down with one of his 'no this time I'm actually hurt' dives.

Yeah Camoranesi had a good game tonight. Giovinco looks like a real talent. Just watching that on goltv online. A number of times the commentator said something which really warms the heart....

When watching Juventus vs Real Madrid:

'And Aston Villa awaits the winner in the final'.

How many times are we ever going to hear that? **** get in there!

I've been saying for around 18 months now Nigel a compete waste of time playing centre mid. You could argue he's a waste of time as a footballer but that would be slightly harsh. He's quick, he can harass people well and stick a challenge in if the opposition player is devoid of any courage or skill; beyond that he's useless.

Not sure if his future is as a full back or even right mid? But as a central midfield player, he's a joke. Said it so many times, his touch isn't bad but he has to position himself facing the ball and NEVER takes it on the half turn opening himself up to drive forwards he traps the ball under his feet, then moves himself around it, like a child when they first learn to play football. If he doesn't get tackled or just save time and pass it to the opposition he has a dirty little habit of giving it to someone else who is under monstrous pressure by one or even two men and invariably they then lose the ball. Funny thing is, the other players must notice this. Surely in training they notice he can't do anything with it?

He breaks up our attack play just as much as he may break up the oppositions. I am not a fan. I'd say get rid but then we'd only have two fit first team centre mids. Whether he needs a move to spark his career back on track, or maybe a permanent conversion to a full back, I just cannot see him being a success at Aston Villa. I think he'll b gone within 12 months.

Sadly for you he will probably be our captain going into the season.

Ronaldo goes down with one of his 'no this time I'm actually hurt' dives.

Nicely put. :D

Those darned girlfriend visits. Made me forget the whole match! From the highlights I'd say this is really something to build on. If someone could remind and put a link out if the match reprise is online somewhere tomorrow, I'll be grateful.

From Portugoal.com:

The Portuguese side were enjoying more ball possession with the three substitutions, but rarely threatened the Premier League side’s net. Hulk was the focal point for Porto to try and reverse the result, but the Brazilian was proving ineffective against Villa’s stingy defence.

We have a stingy defence! That's something for sure.

UTV!

Don't get the stick Carew is getting at all. He was basically the player who got our side forward by holding off 2-3-4 Porto players all the time, and got free kicks moving us forward. You saw Robertson cheering him on every single time very impressed. He does lots of work for the team without scoring.

Albrighton - another sterling performance, not the quickest of players, but he knows where his team mates are, and his crossing from standstill and at pace is nearly always threatening to the other team. And a great ball in for Heskey's goal.

On the goal where Ashley Young scores against Atlante, he looked very fast. Is he not?

Albrighton - another sterling performance, not the quickest of players, but he knows where his team mates are, and his crossing from standstill and at pace is nearly always threatening to the other team. And a great ball in for Heskey's goal.

On the goal where Ashley Young scores against Atlante, he looked very fast. Is he not?

He went on one dash down the entire wing from well inside his own half to the corner flag at frightening pace, I couldn't belive he was that fast and left his marker for dead, unfortunetly on that occassion his final ball was poor but still he does look to have some rather good pace.

I've been saying for around 18 months now Nigel a compete waste of time playing centre mid. You could argue he's a waste of time as a footballer but that would be slightly harsh. He's quick, he can harass people well and stick a challenge in if the opposition player is devoid of any courage or skill; beyond that he's useless.

Not sure if his future is as a full back or even right mid? But as a central midfield player, he's a joke. Said it so many times, his touch isn't bad but he has to position himself facing the ball and NEVER takes it on the half turn opening himself up to drive forwards he traps the ball under his feet, then moves himself around it, like a child when they first learn to play football. If he doesn't get tackled or just save time and pass it to the opposition he has a dirty little habit of giving it to someone else who is under monstrous pressure by one or even two men and invariably they then lose the ball. Funny thing is, the other players must notice this. Surely in training they notice he can't do anything with it?

He breaks up our attack play just as much as he may break up the oppositions. I am not a fan. I'd say get rid but then we'd only have two fit first team centre mids. Whether he needs a move to spark his career back on track, or maybe a permanent conversion to a full back, I just cannot see him being a success at Aston Villa. I think he'll b gone within 12 months.

Sadly for you he will probably be our captain going into the season.

Maybe look at the coaches who are not doing their job and correcting his negatives. Or maybe they have been working on his positives off breaking up play which he seems to have done very welll in last two games. And maybe he is going to be the inspirational captain to take the team forward.

The criticism of NRC so far is both harsh and justified. He does some things as well as anybody in the game. However, those things alone often prove fruitless in the system we're playing, and those things which he does poorly are highlighted. Relying on him to carry the ball forward and distribute will not work, it seems.

Playing him in the right three-man midfield would be successful, I think, as long as his ONLY responsibilities are harrying opponents and winning the ball. If we were to let him just sweep up behind a player who retains the ball and connects the play to an actual attacking mid, he'd be quite useful.

With who we have now, they'd have to line up:

----NRC--------

-----------------

--------Petrov--

-----------------

--Sidwell-------

Swap in an ideal new signing or two, and it could be beastly.

A similar system works very well for Liverpool. Though Mascherano is a better player technically, he plays very much the same role as NRC would. In any game where the opponent is pressuring, he just wins the ball, gives it to Alonso, who in turn gets it to Gerrard or the wings. We have great wingers and a midfielder who loves hanging around the attack in Sidwell, so it could suit us just as well.

So funny people are finding him poor this tournament. I've found him superb and one of our better players.

This. I hope he starts every game and gets the captaincy, he is the best natural leader in the squad and i think he will bring us together as a team.

----------

Good stuff tonight!

Kids look very good, top attitude.

I worry about our ball retention still. Now, this is pre-season and we were playing a very good side but still I want us to keep the ball to give ourselves a rest almost. We defend for long periods, looking fairly comfortable, then break very quickly and its all rush rush, very exciting tomfoolery. Whilst that is sometimes the right thing to do in that circumstance, and it does suit our style of play, if we don't score off the attack, or win some sort of set piece up the other end we lose the ball and are then subjected to another 3 or 4 mins of defending outside our own box! Just a little thing I'd noticed about our play. We need a top midfielder coming in with Barry's ball retention qualities to try to move on in this department from last year, not in a month of Sundays can I see this happening sadly.

Yes, he is not a Villa player. Des Bremner never broke up play at all and was a brilliant passer of a ball. NRC is superb for our team IMO, he chases everything. Fans want someone else, but the duo of NRC and Sidwell were excellent against a very good team

----------

Good stuff tonight!

Kids look very good, top attitude.

I worry about our ball retention still. Now, this is pre-season and we were playing a very good side but still I want us to keep the ball to give ourselves a rest almost. We defend for long periods, looking fairly comfortable, then break very quickly and its all rush rush, very exciting tomfoolery. Whilst that is sometimes the right thing to do in that circumstance, and it does suit our style of play, if we don't score off the attack, or win some sort of set piece up the other end we lose the ball and are then subjected to another 3 or 4 mins of defending outside our own box! Just a little thing I'd noticed about our play. We need a top midfielder coming in with Barry's ball retention qualities to try to move on in this department from last year, not in a month of Sundays can I see this happening sadly.

Just got in and have had a drink.

Cheating is as natural to the Portuguese as being willfully awkward is to the French, or heroin is to the Scotch, it's the national characteristic.

Pleased as punch to see Albrighton, Clark and Lichaj getting good reviews and it sounds like big Shane did okay too.

Cracking stuff, looking forward to the final!