Peace Cup - Porto - 2009/07/31 - Ratings and reactions.

LancsVillan

Sounds like the Portuguese have been their usual snidey, cheating, diving, fucktard selves

Even worse than that Rob. It's one aspect of European football that I really hate. Behaving like that in a sodding friendly.

The kids did the business again today.

Albrighton and Clark were very good and it was good too see Guzan be so commanding.

Reo-Coker and Sidwell looked very goodin the middle together.

Cuellar also had a great game.

Bring on Madrid (or Juve)!

Guzan, Clark, Cueller, Albrighton were brilliant.

NRC played well, busy as usual, he just cannot pass to save his life. Sidwell, Licach played well. Same Shorey. Heskey was decent. The ones who was a bit of a let down were Carew and Young, for me.

Good goal from Juve.

Guzan - give him the No 1

Cuellar - keep him in central defence.

Send them both to the dentist.

Well done boys. Those cheating pricks can stick it where the sun don't shine. Serves them right for wearing Blues shirts too.

Missed the game. Why did Heskey get sent off?

Stupidly gave someone a gentle shove in the face, the player went down like he'd been poleaxed, predictably.

Guzan superb but the unsung HERO for me, 19 year old Ciaran Clark born on my 10th birthday. Played nearly 70 minutes of that match, a baptism of fire against quality opposition who were despite the friendly tag desperate to score. On that showing the boy has some serious, serious potential.

My first reaction - Porto can go **** themselves

But onto the Villa - really gritty performance. Once we lost Heskey, and substituted Carew and Young, it turned very scrappy for us, but I think the youngsters really did themselves proud.

Guzan - MOTM, fantastic performance, beaten by a good penalty, but he looked calm, dominant, didn't put one foot wrong as far as I could see. His kicking looks a lot better two, finding Carew or Heskey most goal kicks in the first half. Hope to see more of him this year.

Lichaj - you can tell he's still young and learning, beaten by the winger on a few occasions, sometimes was a little out of position, but he kept going, made some good tackles at times and looks like he could develop into a real prospect.

Davies - didn't look too good before his injury, almost like he's taken on Zat's title of 'Bambi on Ice'. But I'm sure he'll be good this year, hopefully not injured for too long.

Cuellar - thought he played very well, very solid leading our backline, like a different player from the one we signed last season. Hopefully the doubters have seen that he can play well for us - but it might just be because we were playing in Spain...

Shorey - decent performance, kept hold of the ball well, tracking back wasn't too shabby, showing signs he can effectively provide competition for Bouma

Albrighton - another sterling performance, not the quickest of players, but he knows where his team mates are, and his crossing from standstill and at pace is nearly always threatening to the other team. And a great ball in for Heskey's goal.

Sidwell - ran his heart out, even at the end. Good to see him give Hulk a slap after being barged off the ball earlier. Nice finish from six yards, could have easily hit it low into a players leg but aimed into the roof and got us the winner. Some good tackles and headed clearances in there too.

NRC - took on the captain's role well, like Sidwell ran all game, made some good tackles, but did miss a few, and as we all know he ain't really a passer. More than good enough to step in for Petrov during his injury.

Young - looks class nearly every time he touches the ball. One of the best dribblers in England IMO, and his dead-ball deliveries seem to have improved from the end of last season.

Carew - bit of an off game, held the ball up well but made a few bad touches and passes. But always causing trouble with his presence.

Heskey - played well until his sending off, chasing balls down, holding it up, running into space. If he was racially abused by that Porto player then that player got what he deserved. Stupid obviously, and a definite red card. But racism should not play any part in life, let alone football.

Subs:

Clark - looked very tidy, wasn't scared by the big stage, made his tackles, blocks and headers very effectively. Hoping he's really going to develop into a very good player for us.

Lowry, Herd, Bannan and Weimann didn't play long enough really to make an impact. By the end we were holding on, so it was difficult to tell who made what challenge/header/clearance.

Overall very pleased, good learning curve for the younger lads (if they sort of ignore Heskey's indiscretion), and we're through to the final. If it is Real we play, shame Petrov won't be there for round two with Ronaldo.

I watched NRC, and hardly a single pass of his went to a Villa player. There's no point WHATSOEVER in winning the ball, if you just give it straight back to the opposition.

Commentators are tops. Maybe NRC does have to play he gives us snap and tempo. He also gets us the ball back!

Does nothing with it when he gets it and needlessly challenged to put us under a little pressure at the end. Easy to see why he never got many games last season and why he should be replaced for me.

Good result and Goo'san' played very well and looks a decent keeper all round.

LancsVillan

NRC is in the team to win the ball and then give it to someone else with more skill. The problem is Sidwell is caught out up front to often and can't get back in position in time. NRC gave away a soft pen at the end because we had palyed most of the 2nd half with 10 men and he had covered more ground tham enyone else on the field. Also he was fouled before the pen but the ref missed it!.

I watched NRC, and hardly a single pass of his went to a Villa player. There's no point WHATSOEVER in winning the ball, if you just give it straight back to the opposition.

Seriously man give the lads some credit tonight as it is definitely due

Very good performance and Reo Coker was a big part of that

Well he doesn't give it straight back, also let's be honest, there was absolutly nothing from JC today, he was woeful, unlike usual :(

Reo-Coker as long as he keep it simples has to play, him and Sidwell close the ball down brilliantly, it keeps defence more confident and stable as players aren't just running through the midfield like usual.

OKAY His passing is poor, but once a midfielders gets past his midfield man, like so many people did last year (Petrov being slow) then our defence were dragged out of position. Reo-Coker keeps our midfield and defence stable.

I don't watch Portuguese football but Porto and the national team are the worst diving, simulating cheats. We need to get used to playing sneaky teams like this. It's all good practice for the Europa league.

Bring on Madrid.

They are the biggest cheats in Europe.

Well done lads.

I think you're harsh on Nigel there Risso.

I thought he played well at times, and certainly, the midfield generally had a good game, though I admit I was only half concentrating.

positives - guzan, albrighton, cuellar, clark, nigel for me too.

the fact carew and ahs weren't at their best isn;t a great concern as we know what they can do.

Lichaj wasn't great really though. Shame Bannan didn't get more time to show what he can do.

Commentators are tops. Maybe NRC does have to play he gives us snap and tempo. He also gets us the ball back!

Does nothing with it when he gets it and needlessly challenged to put us under a little pressure at the end. Easy to see why he never got many games last season and why he should be replaced for me.

Good result and Goo'san' played very well and looks a decent keeper all round.

I agree, i normally put that myself but we have played a little betetr with him in. Maybe its just that people are stepping it up now we are further into pre season.

Very pleased!

Guzan was absolutely immense. Very commanding too.

Also highly impressed with Cuéllar and Clark. Davies hasn't been playing well for a while now and we looked steady with those two at the back. Obviously Clark isn't ready to fill Laursen's boots just yet though, in case anyone thinks that's what I'm suggesting!

I'm really not a fan of Heskey, but I thought he played well until his sending off. Should have remained calm - whatever was said to him, he's a professional and should have been able to ignore it. That said, I'm sure it wasn't something particularly nice judging by the attitudes of the Porto players. Disgusting.

Sidwell and NRC were quietly effective in the middle again, but NRC still lacks in passing ability and we need to retain the ball better as a team, which NRC certainly doesn't help with.

Lichaj still looked fairly out of his depth at times but was never majorly caught out and had a decent game. Shorey played quite well, too. Albrighton looked very impressive but faded as I expected, and Young was his influential self whilst on the pitch. Carew was quiet, in general.

Well done Villa!