• Journey
    • Duran Duran
    • Van Halen
    • Def Leppard
    • Dire Straits
    • INXS
    • The Style Council
    • Other

I'm the only one that voted for Van the Man?

There's only one Van the Man, and he ain't no fretboard-twiddling, Jacko-collaborating, poodle-rock ponce.

But is he a Guilty Pleasure, though?

Nah. All pleasure no guilt. Had Astral Weeks on in the car this morning. Marvellous.

Well, yes. A contender for Greatest Album Of All Time without a doubt. But he's been churning out identikit Rent-A-Van albums for about 20 years, now, the miserable old git.

I gave up after "Enlightenment" (but I should really have given up after "Inarticulate Speech").

Oh I dunno. Back On Top is a cracker. But yeah, they do all sound the same. Good job that sound is a great one innit?

... Astral Weeks.... A contender for Greatest Album Of All Time without a doubt. But he's been churning out identikit Rent-A-Van albums for about 20 years, now, the miserable old git.

I gave up after "Enlightenment" (but I should really have given up after "Inarticulate Speech").

Should have given up after Astral weeks (Van and You). And it's more like 40 years....

But I'd be quite interested to hear what else they had to offer. So what album would you recommend to "sell" them to me?

Guess the thing with them is you either love them or hate them ... They are more of a live band than studio I think , you appreciate Adamson's guitar work more when it's in the flesh so to speak ...

Album wise it's hard to call really .. Steeltown was a work of Genius but it's quite dark and firmly belongs in the 80's tbh (think it would be hard to relate to the tone of the album now ,it's belongs very much in a anti Thatch \ Reagan type era ) so probably not an album to sell newbies with , you kinda have to go into prepared to give it a chance .. for BC fans it's the one that always wins the Fav album polls

The Seer was commercially successful but to the point that i don't really like it any longer ..little bit too mainstream and over played

Peace in Our time was butchered by Peter Wolf so makes them sound like Starship .. but has some of my favourite songs and thankfully the non Wolf versions are now out there and sounding all the better for it

I'd say Buffalo skinners has some good thumping tracks and was produced by the band themselves and probably the closest to their live sound you can get on album ( seven waves is a great one for your ipod to go running to )

I also like Driving to Damascus , the last album they made .. lyrically it sort of talks to you and makes you feel , "that's my life he is singing about "...

... Astral Weeks.... A contender for Greatest Album Of All Time without a doubt. But he's been churning out identikit Rent-A-Van albums for about 20 years, now, the miserable old git.

Should have given up after Astral weeks (Van and You). And it's more like 40 years....

Not even a fan of Moondance Blandy?

But I'd be quite interested to hear what else they had to offer. So what album would you recommend to "sell" them to me?

Guess the thing with them is you either love them or hate them ... They are more of a live band than studio I think , you appreciate Adamson's guitar work more when it's in the flesh so to speak ...

Album wise it's hard to call really .. Steeltown was a work of Genius but it's quite dark and firmly belongs in the 80's tbh (think it would be hard to relate to the tone of the album now ,it's belongs very much in a anti Thatch \ Reagan type era ) so probably not an album to sell newbies with , you kinda have to go into prepared to give it a chance .. for BC fans it's the one that always wins the Fav album polls

The Seer was commercially successful but to the point that i don't really like it any longer ..little bit too mainstream and over played

Peace in Our time was butchered by Peter Wolf so makes them sound like Starship .. but has some of my favourite songs and thankfully the non Wolf versions are now out there and sounding all the better for it

I'd say Buffalo skinners has some good thumping tracks and was produced by the band themselves and probably the closest to their live sound you can get on album ( seven waves is a great one for your ipod to go running to )

I also like Driving to Damascus , the last album they made .. lyrically it sort of talks to you and makes you feel , "that's my life he is singing about "...

Hmmm. You haven't sold them to me. :notsure:

Hmmm. You haven't sold them to me.

well i could have lied i suppose .. it's a taste thing so i can't force people to like them , you either like them or you are tone deaf like bicks :winkold:

Hmmm. You haven't sold them to me.

well i could have lied i suppose .. it's a taste thing so i can't force people to like them , you either like them or you are tone deaf like bicks :winkold:

Y'see you came in too apologetically. Especially for someone like me who hates the "80s sound". Christ I even hate the 80s sound of my OWN 80s band.

I was kind of hoping there would be some undiscovered gem from the 90s that I might have liked.

I think I'll check out "The Crossing", anyway.

Cat Stevens. My dad always used to play his albums when we went to Cornwall for our summer holidays, and I always associate his music with driving on a sunny morning, at about 8am and seeing the sea between the hills. Subsequently became one of my favourite artists but always one of those I don't admit to listening to, and I've no idea why. I even like the more religious stylings he had, and thats as someone who hates anything religious with a passion.

that's def nothing like an 80's sound .. a few plays of that will have you wearing a kilt and hating Clarkson :-)

bit if you are going that route , follow on and check out Steeltown

that's def nothing like an 80's sound .. a few plays of that will have you wearing a kilt and hating Clarkson :-)

I'll no' wear a kilt. But I already hate Clarkson, so there's hope.

Is the Greatest Hits album worth a punt?

1. Save Me

2. In A Big Country

3. Fields Of Fire

4. Chance

5. Wonderland

6. Where The Rose Is Sown

7. Just A Shadow

8. Look Away

9. King Of Emotion

10. East Of Eden

11. One Great Thing

12. The Teacher

13. Broken Heart (Thirteen Valleys)

14. Peace In Our Time

15. Eiledon

16. The Seer

17. Harvest Home

Is the Greatest Hits album worth a punt?

only covers the first 4 studio albums .. the stuff on the GH is less Scottish sounding than The crossing though ...

• 12 years later...
Â