• Duran Duran
    • Van Halen
    • Def Leppard
    • Dire Straits
    • INXS
    • The Style Council
    • Other

They're all dreadful.

Eddie Van Halen did come up with some top riffs, though, I suppose.

I guess I'd say a spot of Hawkwind from time to time would be mine :oops:

Thing is, this gets very generational. There are bands from "my" era (60s/70s) that were naff then, but are cool now. And vice-versa.

Like ABBA. Everybody seems to like them them now, but they were SO uncool in the 70s they would have been a real guilty plasure (they were for me).

Or the fact that as a long-haired trench-coat wearing progressive rock freak, I had to keep it quiet that I liked a bit of soul and reggae. Wouldn't be a guilty pleasure nowadays.

Thing is, this gets very generational. There are bands from "my" era (60s/70s) that were naff then, but are cool now. And vice-versa.

Like ABBA. Everybody seems to like them them now, but they were SO uncool in the 70s they would have been a real guilty plasure (they were for me).

Or the fact that as a long-haired trench-coat wearing progressive rock freak, I had to keep it quiet that I liked a bit of soul and reggae. Wouldn't be a guilty pleasure nowadays.

I'm pretty sure ABBA are still uncool :lol:

I'm the only one that voted for Van the Man?

There's only one Van the Man, and he ain't no fretboard-twiddling, Jacko-collaborating, poodle-rock ponce.

It was just a name I made up for him on the spot. Thought it was catchy, clearly not.

(but that was right????)

I'm pretty sure ABBA are still uncool :lol:

Well, yeah. I think they've gone right through the cycle -

uncool --> cool in an ironic cheesy way --> classic melodic pop and therefore quite cool --> cool in an ironic cheesy way (again) --> becoming really annoying because of "Mama Mia" therefore uncool, etc.

"Cool" was probably the wrong word - what I was getting at was that for quite some time they stopped being a "guilty" pleasure.

There's only one Van the Man, and he ain't no fretboard-twiddling, Jacko-collaborating, poodle-rock ponce.

But is he a Guilty Pleasure, though?

most of the ones in the poll. Some Girls aloud tunes are alright. But the videos are better.

Sugababes are probably the best girl band, but I don't really see them as a generic girl band, they offer much more than that.

Nah. All pleasure no guilt. Had Astral Weeks on in the car this morning. Marvellous.

• Like 1

Nah. All pleasure no guilt. Had Astral Weeks on in the car this morning. Marvellous.

Well, yes. A contender for Greatest Album Of All Time without a doubt. But he's been churning out identikit Rent-A-Van albums for about 20 years, now, the miserable old git.

I gave up after "Enlightenment" (but I should really have given up after "Inarticulate Speech").

All those listed are crap, I even consider the Style Council to be Wellers shit period

Modernism: A new decade is a fantastic record. Amazingly, Polydor rejected it because it didnt sound like "classic" Paul Weller. Its full on house music. A real departure from what Weller fans probably would have wanted, but it was criminal it didnt get released until The Style Council box set came out in about 2000.

I dont think I have a guilty pleasure. Im generally comfortable with other people knowing what music I listen to. I guess I like Lily Allen more than most people on here probably do. Ill say her.

did someone say Big Country :wave:
Ah, Tony. I've been meaning to ask you about Big Country.

They're a band that somewhat passed me by - I'm familiar with "In a Big Country" and "Fields of Fire" and... well that's about it, really.

But I'd be quite interested to hear what else they had to offer. So what album would you recommend to "sell" them to me?

Â