Villa sign de la Red

BOF

Aston Villa have completed the pre-contract agreement to sign Real Madrid ace Ruben de la Red, to be finalised when the window opens in the summer.

de la Red (23) can play as a defensive or attacking central midfielder and Villa were rumoured to be after him last summer. It is widely accepted that Gareth Barry will be moving on in the summer and Villa have wasted no time in going back to Ruben as a direct replacement for the England man. Apart from a season with Getafe, de la Red has only ever played for Real Madrid and Martin O'Neill is delighted to finally get his man - "He is a huge talent and I expect him to become a mainstay in the centre of our midfield for many years. It is true that I tried last summer but Real were understandably reluctant to release one of their bigger prospects at the time. Now he is available and I am delighted to be able to come to an agreement with Madrid". de la Red was equally enthusiastic about the move - "It is a pride for me that O'Neill was interested so much in me last year. For me Real Madrid was the number one choice, but Aston has improved, that is clear. It is a great time to join this great club".

The fee is believed to be in the region of £10m and he has signed a 3 year contract.

Thats not funny because De La Red has serious injury problems which could affect his potential career!

not funny because the blokes injured? How does that work

Does that mean you can only tell Michael Owen jokes for one month a year

Thats not funny because De La Red has serious injury problems which could affect his potential career!

not funny because the blokes injured? How does that work

Does that mean you can only tell Michael Owen jokes for one month a year

Mate, the guy had a heart attack on the pitch so it isn't your Michael Owen hamstrings if you know what i mean, the guys lucky to be alive never mind playing football!

i don't get what's supposed to be funny about this?!?

Think it was the most Unlikely to happen.. MON sign a player on pre-contract?? very Unlikely.!MON to sign a Player south from Dover? Very Unlikely

So fun? nah more sad really :-)