Nice Looking Two Up Top

Claret&Blue

Who would you put up-front when Baros arrives?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you put up-front when Baros arrives?

• Super Kev - Angel
    • Super Kev - Mee-lan
    • Angel - Mee-lan
    • I'm an annoying pessimist and I still don't think Milan will sign
    • All three!

Without JPA we'd have been relegated in one of those years or another.

This could well be the stupidest thing i've ever read

:evil:

That's my opinion LBJ. I'm not saying he's done anything spectacular but I think without the goals he has scored we'd have been in trouble.

Some people love angel way to much, he has failed as a striker so now you want us to try him in another position. Anyone who has villaworld go and watch the highlights of the villa blues game the season before last were your saviour JPA missed an absolute sitter that would have won us the game. Imagine someone like barry or hendrie had done the same miss they would never be forgiven

Yes, some people do love Angel maybe TOO much but boy oh boy, do some people hate him with a passion as well! Why is that, how can he be so disliked by certain people. He plays no worse than many others in the team at times yet he seems to get the majority of the flack. All the goals that go in against us seem to be JPA's fault - rarely do the defenders get any stick - Mellberg, boy, nobody EVER gives him grief!

Its a wind up, Hev. Don't you pay it mind.

Note to LBJ23 - "This could well be the stupidest thing I've ever read" - is not an appropriate response on this forum. Thats a warning, next offense will warrant a yellow card.

Hev said:

He plays no worse than many others in the team at times yet he seems to get the majority of the flack.

Both he and Jlloyd were equally terrible on Saturday. It's a toss up as to who was the least use on the pitch. At least Samuel has time on his side, I fear we've seen the best of JPA at Villa, and it was two years ago.

JPA's never been the quickest, but I think the injuries have taken their toll, and he's just too slow. The mind's still sharp, as his run past a couple of defenders showed, but he's too easily to deal with for the majority of Premiership defenders now.

If JPA was that bad on Saturday how come he was instrumental in the KP goal? Angel lays the ball off the Hughes who crosses inch perfectly for KP who had eluded the defence at the far end of the defensive line. Or is it only the cross and shot that count these days of goals and asists, the person that spots the full back running up the wing and lays off the inch perfect ball so the full back can cross is obviously not very good and should be dropped

And what did he do for the following 85 minutes? How many passes before the goal do you count Bicks? A little lay off to the person who actually put the cross in isn't enough for our number one striker, I can't remember a single shot he had in the whole game.

I'm with you on this one, Bickster. JPA didn't have that bad game on Saturday as everyone seems to think. Almost everyone. He didn't have a perfect game, not even very good, but he fought hard for the balls up there against defenders tall as that tower in Paris. He didn't win so many, but at least I think he tried. Please, don't judge him after one game that he didn't happen to score. He won't score every game. No-one will. Give him a break and let him prove himself. I personally think he and KP will start on OT even if Baros signs in time, and then we'll see.

If JPA was that bad on Saturday how come he was instrumental in the KP goal?

Jesus Christ, instrumental? Hardly, you could have made that pass Bicks.

I can think of at least 5 players in our squad who would have cocked it up

bickster wrote:

Maybe not instrumental but he was there and he took the pass as he should do. He both came in to position and he found Hughes. Don't say that you have to cheer him up just because of that, but you can't take him out and say he's finished either. As I said, I think fought pretty well. It's not just up to him. Still, KP was of course the better of them by miles, but still.

This is my 200th post. Does this mean I'm in the reserve team now? :)

Pelle said:

Please, don't judge him after one game that he didn't happen to score.

What about most of last season when he was awful. After a full pre-season I thought he was supposed to come back sharp as a tack. He looked like he was trying, but any decent defender will have him in their pocket this season. Then there are the constant offsides.....

Then there are the constant offsides.....

The whole team was only offside 4 times in the whole match and I distinctly remember one of those being KP (the others I don't remember) but even if all the other three were JPA, thats an offside every 30 minutes, constant I think not.

I'm not saying JPA had the best game ever, he had a quiet game for sure but the amount of stick he gets is unwarranted and after one game into the season its a bit sensationalist to say the least

I can think of at least 5 players in our squad who would have cocked it up

Who might have cocked it up you mean? I don't even know how he played, haven't seen the game. But to say he was instrumental in that goal, well, sounds like you are clutching at straws Bicks.....

Pointless trying to argue but here goes,

It has been said before but KP had ONE (very easy) chance on Saturday which he took, JPA had 0 Chances.

KP did what Angel had to do a lot of last season and that was drop deeper into midfield to become involved in the game, whilst this made KP look good as his general play was excellent, it left JPA alone up top while we hit long balls at him.

Baros and KP will score no more goals than JPA unless they get the service, if the service improves they will all score goals no doubt about it.

Playing all three just isn't an option. I remember when Brian Little tried to shoehorn Milosevic, Yorke and Collymore into the same team with disasterous consequences. If we do get Baros, it'll be a seat on the bench for Angel.

I think it depends how you play all three and which teams you play them against, also how prepared the three in question are prepared to learn "new tricks". If we're playing three upfront a la chelski, I can see it working against certain opposition against others I doubt it will work at all

But in pre season didn't O'Leary say that Angel was his number one striker so surely he won't drop him for Baros. But goals talk and if JPA starts scoring again it will give D'OL i nice headache of who to play upfront. Agree with Risso three upfront wouldnt work.

If we're playing three upfront a la Chelsea,

It's a bit different if you've got the two fastest wingers in the prem as part of your front three, and the likes of Lampard, Makele and Cole in midfield! It just wouldn't work with the three players we've got. All three do their work in the penalty area, and only one has any real pace. None of them would want to do any work on the wings. And our midfield just wouldn't cope with the extra workload. Can you imagine a midfield three with one of them being Solano? We'd get torn a new hoop every match!

It's a nice idea, but it smacks of the manager not having the balls to drop someone, which I'm sure isn't the case.

Hmm, I wouldn't play solano, I'd play two holding players (DJDJ / Gav / Barry) alongside Berger / Hendrie / Davis

And as I said, I also wouldn't play it every game only against weaker teams. I'd say 70% of our games would still be with two upfront

And that would be down to form but I do agree with what PB said earlier on in the topic that Milan is being bpought with Angel in mind to partner him

Â