Running

trimandson

Do you run with other people? I think thats the only way to really improve things is to train with others. I love running for its solitude, but it certainly doesn’t make you quicker

No, just myself late at night.

It's for the Army, 10:30 is a pass so I'm happy with my time, I just want to get as quick as I can before I apply.

On the day I'll be running with a whole bunch of people and the Army staff will be shouting so there will be plenty of motivation, that will probably take a hefty chunk of time off itself.

Ah, OK. I was about to ask why you were doing such short runs, but that answers my question.

I have no idea of my 1.5 mile time, as I rarely run less than five miles.

I agree with Paul about running partners, BTW.

Apologies for lack of update lately, PC melted.

Si and I did the full 10k on Wednesday night in under an hour :) without walking :)

Well chuffed man :D

It was an absolutely great feeling getting under the hour mark for the 10k. Oh, and I should point out that when Mr.Trim says 'without walking' he means we didnt have any of our 10-20 second breaks. :D

Mooney, what did you do the other day? Saw your FB status.

I was away on the weekend but managed a 2.5m (I think) interval run from lamp post to lamp post, still walk run and not jog run, that's **** hard man.

Just played 60 minutes of 6-a-side and when I finished did a 1.5m as quick as I could without spewing up the biggest hill I could find, didn't time it, but felt the effort for sure.

Looking forward to 10k on Wednesday/Thursday with Si again definitely :D

Rest tomorrow

PS - Still no beer after 11weeks, and 364 days smoke free :D

Mooney, what did you do the other day? Saw your FB status.
Our club's in a cross-country league (over five races), and it was the first race of the season. Short course - just under five miles - but running in mud saps your strength.

Races like this make a nice change from the usual 10K etc. road races - they're not about times, PBs, etc., they're about position, getting points for the club.

Haven't seen the results yet, but as we had the race winner (admittedly a - legit - ringer) we should be up there at the top of the table.

I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack, as usual.

There was one moment that was a contender for the "Things that piss you off but shouldn't" thread: Running on a narrow track through some trees and there was this young-ish woman running behind me. She comes out with: "Your elbow is in my face!"

My thoughts on this were "Well **** back off then, or try and find a way round me" - but I didn't say it. I moved to one side and let her go past. Then about 20 yards further on the track widened out, so I went back past her at some speed and left her for dead, saying: "THAT enough room for you?"

Cheeky cow.

Does anyone have any tips for improving one's motivation?

Can't get my arse out of the house at the mo'!

I cannot recommend getting a running partner highly enough.

There is no way I would have been at the level I'm at now (regular 10k runs) on my own, It just gives you so much more enthusiasm when you're running with someone else, and the shared sense of satisfaction as you break another PB or distance record is superb.

Anyone who runs is a nutter. I ran 2 miles as quick as I could the other day in order to settle a bet. I did it in 12 minutes 10 seconds and I nearly collapsed afterwards. Is it the pain you enjoy or what? I'm not really getting what the hook is.

If you can't get yourself a running partner, get yourself an i-pode type music thingy.

always helps, but is really only a help once out the door, and running ...

I've got one, I like it, but I don't know whether it stops me from monitoring my breathing due to the fact I'm concentrating on my music instead.

...or maybe thats just me :oops:

If you can't get yourself a running partner, get yourself an i-pode type music thingy.

always helps, but is really only a help once out the door, and running ...

I've got one, I like it, but I don't know whether it stops me from monitoring my breathing due to the fact I'm concentrating on my music instead.

...or maybe thats just me :oops:

you don't need to monitor your breating mate! I'm sure you'll know if/when you've stopped breathing .... :winkold:

I ran 2 miles as quick as I could the other day in order to settle a bet. .

how did you work out the exact mmmmm-mileage?

Track. 2 miles = 3219m so 8 laps + 19m is as near as damn it 2 miles.

ah track.

I guess that might be slightly easier/faster than road running, but even so, that's a really good time, especially if you're not a "runner" as such.

running 2 miles that quickly would knacker most casual runners.

I ran 2 miles as quick as I could the other day in order to settle a bet. .

how did you work out the exact mmmmm-mileage?

Track. 2 miles = 3219m so 8 laps + 19m is as near as damn it 2 miles.

ah track.

I guess that might be slightly easier/faster than road running, but even so, that's a really good time, especially if you're not a "runner" as such.

running 2 miles that quickly would knacker most casual runners.

I keep fit, (martial arts, racket sports, football or the gym at least 10 hours a week total) just never with running. I thought this might help to encourage me to start but it didn't. I obviously need to find a hot running partner to make me ignore the pain. :lol:

Â