Running

trimandson

Strained a muscle in my calf today, which should keep me laid up for a week or two. I switched to a forefront running style several years ago and that's done wonders for me in regard to avoiding injury, but I guess no one is immune from the occasional tweak or knock. In my case, I think it may have been from overtraining, as it came after a couple fifteen mile runs in short succession.

I guess I'll focus on hitting the gym and doing some low-impact cardio (which I actively loathe—I get no gratification from cardio without the feeling of feet actually hitting the ground) in the meantime.

Edited by JamieZ

Strained a muscle in my calf today, which should keep me laid up for a week or two. I switched to a forefront running style several years ago and that's done wonders for me in regard to avoiding injury, but I guess no one is immune from the occasional tweak or knock. In my case, I think it may have been from overtraining, as it came after a couple fifteen mile runs in short succession.

I guess I'll focus on hitting the gym and doing some low-impact cardio (which I actively loathe—I get no gratification from cardio without the feeling of feet actually hitting the ground) in the meantime.

The nice thing for me about being a triathlete is you always have something else you can move to if you are injured. I have been struggling with an achilies issue for over a month now but my cycling and swimming have certainly received a boost.

• Like 1

Been a long time since I was running, back then I could eat what I wanted and not put it on. After a long time with no running, I need some diet tips. I used to run for my county, when at school, and used to eat things like salad, eggs, tuna, rice. What is the thought nowadays? Fwiw, when fit between the age of 18 and 24 I could eat anything, as I said. Just looking for good diet foods, fibre etc.

Sorry to be a pain.

Eggs are my go to food - I try and eat them everyday as they basically stop me from getting hungry.

Try to avoid Low Fat foods - basically they are full of sugar - just eat less (a good example being greek yogurt).

Lots of fruit and veg.

Wholemeal bread, rice and pasta

Sweet Potatoes are also a winner.

I've been eating less for a week now, even ignore hunger (well, I have a rice cracker). Pretty much eating those things, except for sweet potatoes.

What do you think of quorn mince, I heard that is high in fibre?

three 5 k runs this week .....my breathing seems to have sorted its self out ....gone from gasping to steady .....run times are staying generally the same, I find using the runkeeper app is good enough with the 5 min audio updates, I feel I can do more than the 5k but will leave it for another week and attempt a 10k

I've been eating less for a week now, even ignore hunger (well, I have a rice cracker). Pretty much eating those things, except for sweet potatoes.

What do you think of quorn mince, I heard that is high in fibre?

You should be able to get plenty of fibre from veg.

I dont eat Quorn, not a huge fan and would rather eat good qualty lean mince.

As far as running goes it looks like I might need orthics as I went a saw a proper sports physio regarding my achilies (turns out its the muscle behind the achilies that is causing the trouble) and that my (over dominant) right leg is 15mm shorter than my left so I currently have a wedge in my shoe. Tried running with it this morning and it digs into my foot a bit so may need something made for my shoe, it certainly levels me out a bit. Going to run Bushy Park Parkrun tomorrow morning and see where I am form-wise as I have my first triathlon in a year next weekend and trying to decide how I should race. If my running isnt quite up to scratch I will go and smash the bike leg and jog out the rest of the race.

• Like 1

Hope you get your foot sorted. I've written a bit of a blog about my issues with my foot: denjamouse.wordpress.com, it's one of the worst things to overcome. I'm doing running on a monday, football tuesday, bike wednesday, rest thursday, bike friday, run saturday, bike sunday. I'm just trying to get my foot to accept what is happening to it, after such a long period of pain/pins and needles/going dead, it is now starting to accept it... I hope.

Seem to have got "runners knee" I did a nice 5k yesterday in real muggy weather while suffering from doms after leg day in the gym .....the knee this morning was in a good bit of pain ....still did an 11 hour shift on my feet at work so its not unbearable .....im in two minds if I should bike to work and back tomorrow 10k each way 

Worse thing ever being injured when a regular runner, best thing to do is rest and rest takes a long time :(

Lightest i've been in a long while and makes such a difference on longer runs, 14 miles yesterday in just under 2 hours wasn't knacked for the rest of the day either. :)

Had 5 hours of training planned this weekend, but 4 nights in a row of my 9 month old teething has kind of taken the wind out of my sails and done nothing. In the past ive pushed through and ended up injured and ill so decided to chill out and crack on again tomorrow.

This probably should go in the book thread, but I definitely recommend reading 'Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Super Athletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen' by Christopher McDougall. It is based around a tribe of Mexicans with the ability to run ultra distances, but it also goes into detail about how the human body has actually evolved to be primed for running long distances, and that a majority of the population are not utilizing it to its full capacity. It also has a good section on how current running shoes are actually bad for running, and that injuries such as plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis have actually increased in occurrence since the launch of cushioned shoes, as they over-correct everything that you do and stop you from running in the natural way that your body has evolved to. Even execs at top sports manufacturers have acknowledged that their cushioned shoes do this, but do not shout about it due to the money they make from these shoes. There is also no recognized research available to prove that their shoes prevent injuries either. (I read this part about 5 days after spending stupid money on a new pair of trainers!  :angry: )

I guarantee that if you read it, then the first thing you will want to do is go for a long run!

I read that book a couple of months back and thought it was fantastic.

Not entirely sure I agree with it totally as I am suffering from going to minimalist shoes, I need to actually go back the other way and train in something with a bit more support.

I hurted my calf 6 days ago for the first time in my life, i was running on the threadmill and after 40 mins it felt like someone stuck me with a knife in my left calf.

I tried to run again yesterday but after 1 min the pain came back, i can walk fast without feeling any pain, but as soon as i start to run it come back.

It's driving me insane not to be able to run, any tips on how i can heal this as fast as possible ?

I hurted my calf 6 days ago for the first time in my life, i was running on the threadmill and after 40 mins it felt like someone stuck me with a knife in my left calf.

I tried to run again yesterday but after 1 min the pain came back, i can walk fast without feeling any pain, but as soon as i start to run it come back.

It's driving me insane not to be able to run, any tips on how i can heal this as fast as possible ?

Probably why.

All you can do is try and keep off it for a few days. Then try slow, light running and see if it flares up again. If so, rest a bit more.

I'd stay off the treadmill though. Evil things.

• Like 1

Â