Running

trimandson

Did my first 10k in the gym today, was going to do my normal 5k but decided to scale the speed down a bit and try and do the 10k.

Managed it ok actually considering I had 6 pints last night and smoked about 10 roll ups and did no prep whatsoever.

Treadmill stops at 1hr and I was on 9.7 at that point so I think 61 mins is about right, hardly world beating but it felt good.

Edited by AVFCDAN

It was my first ever 10k!

I only run in the gym because im not up to any standard worth doing it on the roads really, also ive seen a few friends hit the tarmac and instantly get problems with knees and shins etc.. im trying to protect myself more than anything.

I get injured on treadmill as it forces an unnatural running style and also I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than recovery as it doesn't enforce good running technique. If worried about knees find a park to run round.

Well I'm definately off the gels as did a brick session this morning with only a 2 1/2 mile run where I grabbed a gel after my bike and nearly threw it up by the end of the run. Just found a cookbook for this type of stuff will take a looksy (on kindle) later.

Planned a run for tomorrow but it looks like thunderstorms all day

What are the chances of getting hit by lightning

Yolo and all that if your times up its up

Edited by AshVilla

Bought one of those Garmin GPS-watches. Couldn't stop looking at it as I ran and kept pushing myself to the limit. Hurting today but I guess that was the whole point.

And it was compatible out of the box with all my old Endomondo stuff so no history-gaps.

To be honest I tried a new approach last week; homemade oat bars (with peanut butter & banana), some gels and some clif energy shot bloks. Set my watch to beep every 10 minutes to take on fluid (750ml/hr), and then every 20 took on some food. I rode for over 7 hours, and at the end took on some caffeine. Didn’t lose that much weight and felt fine. Refuelling is clearly somewhere a lot of people don’t do so well, its practise that makes perfect. I find the body yearns for different tastes during exercise; too much sweet and you vomit.

Anyway I did a sub 20 minute park run today. Very happy with that.

I was gonna try some homemade stuff too to see if that helps and even considering taking marmite sarnies for IM Germany to help with salt and to give something different.

Do you have a time in mind for the Marmotte?

Not really; I am having a recce of the Alps at the beginning of June to see what my form is. I am trying to get my Watts/kg up to around 3.75. I am fine on short climbs, but haven’t ridden anything long since Ventoux last summer. I ve seen the gold for my age is just over nine hours, which would be good, which is possible if I descend well and then get in a good group between mountains. Just be good to set a benchmark and then have another go with more training next year; Impressive Park Run BTW!

Bought one of those Garmin GPS-watches. Couldn't stop looking at it as I ran and kept pushing myself to the limit. Hurting today but I guess that was the whole point.

And it was compatible out of the box with all my old Endomondo stuff so no history-gaps.

Don’t look at it, listen to it :)

The way to really push it is upload it to strava and chase down other peoples segments. I managed to aggravate my left hamstring chasing one (that I knew was there) yesterday. It can help when I'm not feeling to motivated on a cycle/run to just up my pace a bit.

• Like 1

It was lovely being mentioned in the local parkrun news this week. Its difficult to say how I've improved until I go back to the old course again. Next 2 weeks are gonna be taken up with some heavy swim/bike/run sessions so won't know for a couple of weeks.

The way to really push it is upload it to strava and chase down other peoples segments. I managed to aggravate my left hamstring chasing one (that I knew was there) yesterday. It can help when I'm not feeling to motivated on a cycle/run to just up my pace a bit.

Some fecker took my CR tonight by a lot. I have to wonder if he was on a bike and uploaded it incorrectly.

Just gonna have to train and take it back ;)

I only run in the gym because im not up to any standard worth doing it on the roads really, also ive seen a few friends hit the tarmac and instantly get problems with knees and shins etc.. im trying to protect myself more than anything.

Treadmills aren't real running. Sorry, just my opinion. I use them while at the gym as it's nice to show off but they can't replace running forwards. A treadmill moves the ground for you, you don't have to push yourself forwards. All you have to do is pull your legs forward again.

This isn't trying to belittle what you've done. 10k is a long way even on a treadmill so if you can do it there, you can do it outside or on a track. Do yourself a favour, use the treadmill sparingly, get out on the roads and you'll improve in no time :)

• Like 2

Some fecker took my CR tonight by a lot. I have to wonder if he was on a bike and uploaded it incorrectly.

Just gonna have to train and take it back ;)

The one last night I was already CR but someone had matched it (but I understand this means that it was still mine as I got it first, I found this out annoyingly by matching someones KOM and now Im gonna have to have another go at that one) and managed to take another 10 secs off. Sadly I actually changed my route whilst I was out just to have a go at it.

Did a lovely uber pain session in training on monday night. Basically 300m of which 200 was on a gradual uphill 10 times with 90 secs rest in between. I managed to stay relatively consistent at around 49-53 secs but man did it hurt and didnt enjoy the gradual warm down after.

Treadmills aren't real running. Sorry, just my opinion. I use them while at the gym as it's nice to show off but they can't replace running forwards. A treadmill moves the ground for you, you don't have to push yourself forwards. All you have to do is pull your legs forward again.

This isn't trying to belittle what you've done. 10k is a long way even on a treadmill so if you can do it there, you can do it outside or on a track. Do yourself a favour, use the treadmill sparingly, get out on the roads and you'll improve in no time :)

They are when you do a V02 max test!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to get into hills at the moment and really enjoying it. But wondered if anyone has any good tips for how to get up them better? At the moment I just slow right down snd short steps, which works but doesn't do much for my time.

I'm starting to get into hills at the moment and really enjoying it. But wondered if anyone has any good tips for how to get up them better? At the moment I just slow right down snd short steps, which works but doesn't do much for my time.

Short steps is the way, but drive the knees and most of all drive your arms as the quicker you move the arms the faster your legs will go too.

• Like 2

As Andy says. Everyone slows down up hills and speeds up down hills. Don't worry about it. Get Strava, log your runs then you'll be able to see if you're still putting the same effort in if your GAP is the same.

As Andy says. Everyone slows down up hills and speeds up down hills. Don't worry about it. Get Strava, log your runs then you'll be able to see if you're still putting the same effort in if your GAP is the same.

Thanks, I use runkeeper at the moment, is Strava worth changing to?

Â