economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

In a 90-minute interview last night – watched by more than 15 million viewers – the French president said he would not repeat Britain's economic "mistakes".

He added that the prime minister's VAT cut had "absolutely not worked".

The comments will embarrass Brown, who has been at pains to insist that other countries were adopting his "fiscal stimulus" plans.

I've always liked the French :-)

It's only a short step from that to advocacy of tax harmonisation and a single currency.

And straight in at number one with a new entry , replacing The French at the top of the hit list after a stay of 38 years is

Snowychap

It's only a short step from that to advocacy of tax harmonisation and a single currency.

And straight in at number one with a new entry , replacing The French at the top of the hit list after a stay of 38 years is

Snowychap

:mrgreen:

He's not joking..

go on explain this

rate cut to 1% and currency up against teh dollar and Euro that is not how it is supposed to happen

Trichet signalled future rate cuts in Euro Zone, hence forward rates are lower meaning less of a gap is seen in the future between interest rates hence Euro drops against pound.

Forward rates are the predicted interest rates at points in the future.

go on explain this

rate cut to 1% and currency up against teh dollar and Euro that is not how it is supposed to happen

Last week LIBOR overnight rates dropped from 2% to 1.5% - the interest rate cut was already priced in. The rate cut had no impact on currency markets. After all - how could movements in the ECB rate impact the strength of the pound against the dollar. What did was the lack of any announcement towards printing of money. The plan to use existing capital to purchase some tarnished assets was expected - what was feared was as snowy opined - the printing of money to fund those purchases.

Once they realise they don't have the existing captial to really carry out this plan, and then have to start printing money, sterling will fall against both euro and $.

Has sterling hit its bottom?
I think the answer to that one is a resounding yes...
I think the answer to that one is a resounding dunno - but it's a race to the bottom, and dependent upon many political machinations. If the greeks and the irish can't fund their debt, will they have to leave (or be kicked out of) the euro, thus strengthening the mainline currency in the absence of the basketcases?

don;t need to be in a union to knwo your work rights

doesn;t help though, you get acked because the conditions are so packed, ok you may get some money but not your job back

You been drinking again?

Reading between the lines - no you don't have to be in a union - but if you are, you have someone to phone when your boss talks shite like that. Otherwise you're by yourself - and it's cold lonely world out there in the snowdrifts.

As a work representative myself, better known previously as a shop steward, then I think some of you lads are wrong to knock unions.

What is wrong with a group of workers standing together to ensure that each and everyone of them be treated fairly. The fact that some people in the private sector do not feel they have the backing of a union is there problem. Everyone can be the member of a union and therefore stand united with there work colleagues and stand up for what they believe is right.

Â