Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Good luck getting a ticket! 

Yeah, I know. Maybe I'll come over for a home and away league match with an away CL leg sandwiched in between but just watch it at a pub.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

No one cares who you played in the previous rounds, its all about winning it.

I imagine lots of villa fans care about who we play in the previous rounds

We're almost certainly not going to win it, let's be honest. The chances are incredibly slim. And it could be another 40 years before we play in the Champions League again.

I really really hope it isn't, but it could be.

Would people really rather play the shittest teams in the competition to give us the best chance of qualifying? Would you really be telling your kids about the time Brugge and AEK Athens came to Villa Park?

Or would you rather experience Bayern Munich or Barcelona coming here? Or watching Villa play at the Bernabeau?

I honestly don't know why people watch football sometimes. We've spent decades wanting to get back into the world's elite club competition, and now people want to see us drawn against Leipzig and Sturm Graz because it's easier to get out of the "group".

Where's the romance in that?

Edited by Stevo985

7 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I’m a grown man watching this and I’m about to cry. Unai knows exactly what this means to us: the history, our size, our previous pain. I cannot believe last night happened. 

Thank you. 

Look what it means to HIM! And his speech, my God, the man is addicted to pursuing excellence. He is the guy we needed all along to change the culture and mentality at the club from accepting mediocrity to demanding greatness.

• Like 4

24/25 dates 

Matchday 1: 17–19 September 2024
Matchday 2: 1/2 October 2024
Matchday 3: 22/23 October 2024
Matchday 4: 5/6 November 2024
Matchday 5: 26/27 November 2024
Matchday 6: 10/11 December 2024
Matchday 7: 21/22 January 2025
Matchday 8: 29 January 2025

Well, ideally I'd like a mix (which is likely in this format) of say 5 big beasts mixed home and away, and 3 'easier' ones to make getting through more possible. And then it's into knock-out lottery. But hopefully not draw any UK clubs at any point.

Still - at least over the next 4 months there's plenty of time to debate every single possible combination.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Now comes the tough job- finishing top four again.

Well, at least we know we'll begin next season with a stronger, healthier and deeper team. If we could finish 4th while playing in Europe with our current squad, I back our chances to finish higher next year.

Edited by maqroll

I'd love a game against Celtic at home and Real Madrid away.

Other than that I'm not bothered as long as it's not some 'group of death' situation (or 'league phase of death', for the pedants).

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly don't know why people watch football sometimes. We've spent decades wanting to get back into the world's elite club competition, and now people want to see us drawn against Leipzig and Sturm Graz because it's easier to get out of the "group".

Where's the romance in that?

Getting out of the group means more money. But if you want Villa to make a jump in quality and be a permanent feature in the Champions' group stage, you need to compete against the best european teams to measure yourself and improve.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Well, at least we know we'll begin next season with a stronger, healthier and deeper team. If we could finish 4th while playing in Europe with our current squad, I back our chances to finish higher next year.

In terms of squad we'll be better placed but it's the mentality that teams struggle with I think. If we go well in Europe, I'd be happy with a top 6/7 finish. Out of Europe early and we should be aiming for 4th/5th.

1 minute ago, Daulmakan said:

Getting out of the group means more money. But if you want Villa to make a jump in quality and be a permanent feature in the Champions' group stage, you need to compete against the best european teams to measure yourself and improve.

A balance of both is ideal and very likely what we'll get. The chances of not getting at least one or two 'big' fixtures are very slim

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Would you really be telling your kids about the time Brugge and AEK Athens came to Villa Park? Or would you rather experience Bayern Munich or Barcelona coming here? Or watching Villa play at the Bernabeau?

We can play all 4 of them, it's not one or the other.

1 hour ago, _AA_786 said:

£30m £50m? £175m? £300m  ....Its like the figures for getting promoted to the prem, where journos pull a different figure out their backside each day 🤣

It's because this year the CL was worth a minimum of £30m even if you finished bottom of your group. 

Next season with the new format, the CL is worth a minimum of £50m even if you finish near the bottom of the mega-league. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

A balance of both is ideal and very likely what we'll get. The chances of not getting at least one or two 'big' fixtures are very slim

Zero chance of getting no big fixtures.  

We are guaranteed to be playing two of the following teams:

Bayern Munich

Real Madrid

Barcelona

PSG

Inter

Dortmund

Leipzig.

I'm honestly not overly stressed about bottling the league position next season. The stars have aligned so well for us in the sense that, aside from City and Arsenal, the hierarchy of the so called Big 6 (should really be the Big 8 now with us and Newcastle) is in disarray. United are a dumpster fire, Spurs seem to be imploding, Liverpool are facing a very uncertain future post-Klopp, Chelsea and Newcastle are solid young sides but certainly clubs we can go toe to toe with in a race for 4th. Plus, I think England not getting the extra CL spot was an aberration amd we should be able to rely on 5th being a CL spot more often than not.

The future is so so bright.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Zero chance of getting no big fixtures.  

We are guaranteed to be playing two of the following teams:

Bayern Munich

Real Madrid

Barcelona

PSG

Inter

Dortmund

Leipzig.

Drawing Leipzig would be disappointing. lets be honest.

Â