Pre Match Thread - Cup Final 9 of 10

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Can’t just give up now, a point at least secures 4th. One more big push to get us over the line (of course while hoping Tottingham lose). 

How does a point secure us 4th? We are 7 clear of Spurs, a point only makes us 8 clear, if they win their last 3 they finish 1 point ahead of us. we need spurs to drop points, or we need a win from somewhere

Edited by Podster
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Podster said:

How does a point secure us 4th? We are 7 clear of Spurs, a point only makes us 8 clear, if they win their last 3 they finish 1 point ahead of us. we need spurs to drop points, or we need 2 draws, not 1.

It definitely helps put more pressure on them, as it means they need will need to beat City to have a chance. 

A win would be lovely though. Is there any fitness news? Will we have some more options for this?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Like I said defeatist attitudes within the fan base.

I don't think it's defeatist, personally - we've seen from the last few performances the players are dead on their feet. It's an acceptable excuse at this stage of the season with the circumstances. It doesn't marry up with reality to then think this same group of players can go out and beat a refreshed Liverpool. If they're capable of doing it, then I can't see how tiredness and fatigue can wash as an excuse for the last few poor performances? It can't work both ways to my mind.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We beat them in 1979 too. 

And if you were around no doubt you predicted a defeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Ok chat Tuesday morning mate, despite injuries I just don’t think it’s such a for gone conclusion we can’t beat Liverpool at home.

On top of our game I think we're a match for anyone mate and this is no shade at the players at all - I just think they're spent through factors beyond our control. I hope we've got one last push in us but the realist in me looks at the last 4 performances and sees a team on its arse. 

• Like 2

We go full strength of course, but Unai's definition of full strength will depend on exactly what his better players can put out on the pitch after Thursday. If they're not capable, then Duran Lenglet Iroegbunam Chambers are there to step in. I doubt we would see Kesler-Hayden or Kellyman from the start, but they'll probably feature in the 2nd half.

I expect whichever team we pick, we'll sit deep and use our limited energy reserves on the break - similar to first half against Chelsea. Need to score the first goal or we're cooked, really.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zab6359 said:

**** me some of our supporters are defeatist!!

🤣 Yeah, and I just heard from John McGinn, and he says after reading this thread, the squad has decided Sunday night is party time, they're giving up, too, and they'll see us all down the Aston Tavern before 1030.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Hard to call without knowing who is available but I'm going for a 2-1 win. 

Beating Liverpool to qualify for the Champions League would top off ana amazing season and I believe we can do it.

I like the cut of your jib 🍻

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zab6359 said:

We can get at least a point out of this and wrap this season up!

A point dont wrap the season up though does it,  We are 7 clear of Spurs, a point only makes us 8 clear, if they win their last 3 they finish 1 point ahead of us. we need spurs to drop points, or we need 2 draws, not 1. 

22 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Bailey a serious doubt

Not surprising given how he was deliberately targeted by certain Olympiakos players 

• Like 2

I'd bite your hand off for a draw in this... I think we'll struggle though so keeping the score down must be the priority.... Hoping that Burnley or City turn up against Spurs

• Like 2

Its going to be painful. With so few players available.  The second striker and number 10 roles have been devastated. We might only have Diaby with Zaniolo, Rogers Ramsey Bailey Tielemans and Buendia out with MCginn also having to play pivot rather than further forward. Mental 

7 hours ago, East London Villa said:

Duran Lenglet Iroegbunam Chambers are there to step in. I doubt we would see Kesler-Hayden or Kellyman from the start, but they'll probably feature in the 2nd half.

If even one of those players starts, we are in serious trouble. Not one of them is remotely good enough.

We really need this season to end or we will be fielding thr under 9's before long.

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

If even one of those players starts, we are in serious trouble. Not one of them is remotely good enough.

We really need this season to end or we will be fielding thr under 9's before long.

I'm waiting for the inevitable phonecall for me to get my boots out...