May 2024 Local Elections

Jareth

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Crazy how this is the conclusion that is being drawn, when it's plainly obvious that people clearly vote very differently in local elections versus general elections. Had this nonsense in last year's local elections, too.

I'm certain this is just the media either being completely ignorant of what the PNS entails, or spreading misinformation for interactions/something else, but it would be hilarious if even a single Tory at No 10 genuinely understood it like this.

Edited by wishywashy

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am 50/50 on this one. 

The majority of people did use the vote correctly. 

But it did find it a little strange when people I knew were party agents were bringing in dozens of postal votes throughout the day.  It did make me wonder if the voters concerned were aware of what was happening in their name. 

Well those will not be counted according to the reporting officers rep at my polling station.

If they wanted to rig something, they could have posted them a couple of days before and then there wouldn't be a stupid form to fill in.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, limpid said:

Well those will not be counted according to the reporting officers rep at my polling station.

If they wanted to rig something, they could have posted them a couple of days before and then there wouldn't be a stupid form to fill in.

Correct.  They will not be counted under the current rules.  

By the way...

What do you mean by "Repoting Officer"?  My council don't have that named role? 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

I'm certain this is just the media either being completely ignorant of what the PNS entails, or spreading misinformation for interactions/something else, but it would be hilarious if even a single Tory at No 10 genuinely understood it like this.

They need to take advantage and call a General Election NOW. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

It’s hilarious. Two entire countries didn’t vote yesterday

Lots of large metropolitan councils on 4 year cycles did not vote yesterday apart from for mayors and PCCs which are notoriously low turnouts

It’s just an insane thing to extrapolate from yesterday’s data 

• Like 1

The main reason people are voting Labour & LibDem seems to be just that they are not Tory. 

Worry about the details later

BBC up to their usual tricks, all day it’s been It’s looking close in London, Tory sources say it’s going to be close blah blah blah.

London results come in

”Well the Tories were briefing against that optimist all night” but you waited until now to tell us, almost 20 hours later, Representatives for North East Somerset

Khan is going to walk this London election and given that he was already on high figures and now has a 6% swing in his favour

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bickster said:

BBC up to their usual tricks, all day it’s been It’s looking close in London, Tory sources say it’s going to be close blah blah blah.

London results come in

”Well the Tories were briefing against that optimist all night” but you waited until now to tell us, almost 20 hours later, Representatives for North East Somerset

Khan is going to walk this London election and given that he was already on high figures and now has a 6% swing in his favour

All that talk and it looks like he's got an even more comfortable lead than last time!

Quite the embarrassment for many today. A lot of them were clearly following the pied piper that was the first 'anonymous source' saying Labour were in trouble. Another win for the pollsters, though...

Edited by wishywashy

At least the Anonymous Briefings™ in the West Midlands seem to be a bit more measured than those in London: they're saying it's too close to call.

Not seen this reported much if at all. In the newly reconstituted Bristol Central Constituency (a lot of it was previously Bristol West), The Green Party won every single ward in the local elections. Labour MP and Shadow Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport, Thangam Debbonaire who is the candidate in the new seat might just be a little bit worried.

Tories have asked for a full recount in Coventry. Result not now expected for another 2 hours. Apparently Tory sources are saying they are going to lose overall by 2-3 thousand votes.

• Thanks 1

Andy Street desperately trying to think of something flattering for the photographers he booked to picture.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Genie said:

West Midlands result on a knife edge apparently 

BBC are saying there might be under 2k votes in it

Edited by wishywashy

Â