Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

43 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Gauci came from 8th team of 12 for goals conceded A-League when he joined us. A-League isn't even League 1 standard

Olsen has conceded 31 in 13. I'd much prefer Gauci than Olsen

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

4th will be tied up on Sunday. We'll go away and win 5-0 in second leg with Luiz redemption brace 

That would be incredible 

• Like 1

Definitely the most bizarre game I've attended, and one of the most bizarre I've ever seen.

We were generally pretty dreadful from the moment they went 1-0 ahead, thanks to some absolutely incredulous officiating and some equally baffling idiocy from our own players. We lost our minds a bit at 0-2 and did at least show some fortitude to get back level only for the penalty to knock the stuffing out of every Villa affiliate in the stadium. The 4th goal was just... Villa. I've never known a team concede so many heavily deflected goals, it's incredible.

I wasn't unimpressed by Olympiakos, but how they've scored 4 goals tonight is beyond me. They're decent enough, but not as good as Lille who ran rings around us.

I suspect we won't turn this around because we'll get 90 minutes of "ouch, the wind has blown me over" and other equally frustrating antics but it equally wouldn't surprise me if we went there and beat them 3-0. I'd add that this team lost 4-1 at home to Maccabi Haifa 2 months ago...

As an aside, we did all have a laugh when the crowd were screaming murder at their keeper for time-wasting and pissing about when the opposition have a penalty... 

• Like 1

Just got back thanks to the **** shutting the m25 at my junction with no advance warning and having to detour 

hindsight Carlos should have played as a more physical defender Against their forward 

two games in a row where Doug has not been at it , I’ve not seen replays yet so don’t know if the penalty against him was a harsh one or not , but as much as anything it came from a corner that either should have been a goal kick or Lenglet  should have dealt with , but the one he missed seemed to be caused by Diaby **** around on the edge of the area as much as anything ?

if we’d had this official v Lille Martinez would have emerged from the two legs without a single card He wasn’t as bad as the Lille ref but he wasn’t far off it 

but , they’ve had their cup final and a trip to Villa Park , the fat lady maybe well be  warming up but the tie isn’t over yet 

We were unlucky but on the other hand we never had this game under control at all. 

I can't stop thinking about the missed penalty by Luiz. That was the moment to get back in to the tie.  Not much sleep for me tonight.

Terrible performance by most our players tonight.

Lenglet and Olsen in the same team is criminal imo! The dynamic changes massively with just one of them in the team, never mind both of them. Both so nervy on the ball. Do we know why Pau didnt play? Carlos would have gone in for me over Lenglet. Hes been ok at times but we dont look anywhere near as good with him in the team, thats how good Pau is i guess!

Dougie and Mcginn non existent

Cash probably only player who comes out with any xredit for me.

Olympiacos did a job on us and took their chances. They prressed us very high up the pitch, causing us too make mistakes constantly in defence and midfield. I didnt think they were as bad as people are making out, we of course caused ourselves a lot of problems on top!

Havent seen penalty back but seemed harsh at the time, the 4th was because nobody pressed and a unfortunate deflection to take past Olsen. 

Dougies penalty just summed the night up although a bit of pressure on it so wont be too harsh.

Still got a chance but its going to be tough and we are going too have to put one of the performances of the season to get to the final imo. Missed Tielemans and Emi massively tonight!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This woman deserves all the credit in the world, I hope the club recognise her for her efforts and that they weren't in vain.

Couldn't see what was going on but fair play, what a hero, hope whoever it was pulls through.

Sadly, Nothing surprised me.

So many elements of the game reminiscent of the Chelsea game.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Terrible performance by most our players tonight.

Lenglet and Olsen in the same team is criminal imo! The dynamic changes massively with just one of them in the team, never mind both of them. Both so nervy on the ball. Do we know why Pau didnt play? Carlos would have gone in for me over Lenglet. Hes been ok at times but we dont look anywhere near as good with him in the team, thats how good Pau is i guess!

Dougie and Mcginn non existent

Cash probably only player who comes out with any xredit for me.

Olympiacos did a job on us and took their chances. They prressed us very high up the pitch, causing us too make mistakes constantly in defence and midfield. I didnt think they were as bad as people are making out, we of course caused ourselves a lot of problems on top!

Havent seen penalty back but seemed harsh at the time, the 4th was because nobody pressed and a unfortunate deflection to take past Olsen. 

Dougies penalty just summed the night up although a bit of pressure on it so wont be too harsh.

Still got a chance but its going to be tough and we are going too have to put one of the performances of the season to get to the final imo. Missed Tielemans and Emi massively tonight!

Many teams are doing a job on us lately....and it's not hard to do.

We can go back a while to know, Dougie and McGinn have had some howlers together in the middle....but, we still seem to find a way to rely on them, after all that time....we know, we are down to the bare bones, but it's funny, how we still seem to be destined to revert back to them, for those roles.

I had an inkling Dougie was going to miss that, his expression, leading up to it was not good and looked anxious, his performance overall, was probably weighing on his mind.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, andym said:

Learnt nothing from the Lille tie

Yet again in Europe we start the game passive and sloppy - the save Olsen had to make in the first few minutes (which was wrongly flagged offside) should have been the warning, but we carried on as we were and got deservedly punished.

The ref was shit, but at the end of the day 4 goals conceded at home in a semi-final is an absolute disgrace. The back 4 were a shambles, not helped by Luiz and McGinn being awful.

If Pau was on the bench purely for rest and he's not managing a knock, then Emery deserves criticism as well.

Is a concern, in fact the nature of our breaches are a concern, not just the quantity.

We can't defend as a team.....endorsed by Alan Hutton.

If we have any serious ambition, and I have no reason to question that, we need to address that as a matter of priority, in the summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

They were v canny. They took their chances and played dirty at times. Their fans were excellent, too.

Having said all of that, we lost that game ourselves 

Of course we did.....overtones of that game, have been in previous games lately, too.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Also think it's really showing and is key to us right now and in recent games - we're desperately missing Kamara

we have no midfield 

All this about why has Luiz dropped off, why is he playing so poor... Kamara not being there is why 

Sure.

He had games like this, before Kamara arrived....Dougie is not a No 6.

It is not his fault, he is being deployed in a position that doesn't entirely suit him....its a result of having only one recognised CDM in the squad.....and it took us long enough to get him....it's a priority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Made up 2 goals tonight, can do it again. 

sure we can go there and score 2......we can always score goals.

but, Have you considered they might do the same....and that's not such a long shot, is it?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DaoDeMings said:

One of those games. Nothing went our way. Still in the tie though.

Win on the weekend vital

seen a few lately..at home.

Edited by TRO

Â