New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

1 hour ago, SimplyTheBez said:

Somewhere like that for example. Not much going on there is there and a comfortable walk from all Birmingham stations and everything else the CC has to offer. If we could get some political interest it wouldn't take too much to make a site available I'm convinced.

Screenshot_20240317_120047_Maps.jpg

Too close to Small Heath 😆

• Like 2

That site next to Curzon st isn't big enough.  It has less footprint than our current site, and water ways that would make it tricky to modify. 

If we include the patch of land below it, then it becomes big enough, but then it has a water way cutting through it. Not to mention its pretty much in small heath

Edited by MrBlack

5 hours ago, SimplyTheBez said:

This may have already been discussed and is probably unpopular, but I'm thinking more and more recently that we should bite the bullet and buy a brown field close to the City Centre and build a new ground. Wouldn't have to worry about attendances while it was being built and the other issues of facilities, traffic and transport links are no longer an issue. Town already has fantastic infrastructure and facilities.

The bit in bold.

Isn't the whole point of redevelopment/new build that we simply must increase match day revenue by offering more ways for fans to spend money on the club on a match day?

If we're in the city centre won't more and more money be spent on existing bars, restaurants in the city etc than on anything the new stadium coild offer?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The bit in bold.

Isn't the whole point of redevelopment/new build that we simply must increase match day revenue by offering more ways for fans to spend money on the club on a match day?

If we're in the city centre won't more and more money be spent on existing bars, restaurants in the city etc than on anything the new stadium coild offer?

I take your point, but beyond football is where my thoughts are heading with my suggestion. Taylor Swift isn't coming to B6. NFL isn't coming either. Nor Beyonce, UFC or big boxing bouts. Just imagine a big old stadium in the middle of Town. Money maker beyond football, which is clearly the way to go. Spurs know about money and they've done it. Real and Barca have completely rebuilt or are rebuilding for the same reason. There is a ceiling on football money. Beyond football the opportunities are limitless.

Watched the Ferrari film recently. Enzo only sold cars to fund the F1 team. We need a stadium that makes money to fund our football operation. Our owners know this and would probably already have this in motion if they thought it wouldn't upset us fickle and capricious Brummies 😀

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Thanks for the reply, I think I still favour redevelopment of what we have! Maybe the whole area would get a boost from it?

If the area contained some/any of our fanbase, I'd be inclined to agree, but the area doesn't care about Villa and on the whole would be happy to see the back of us I reckon...happy to be proven wrong of course. Almost certain that they prefer alcohol free Star City for their entertainment. Sad but true. I certainly wouldn't want to live there, would you? Even to live next door to VP, and these days, it really is my only social life!

I get the history of Villa Park and it being the classic ground that everyone looks going too but could you imagine having a Bernabeu-esqe stadium in the heart of Birmingham hosting NFL, concerts etc etc. It would put Villa properly on the world map.. and even Birmingham. Wembley of the Midlands vibes and all that. Would put our revenue up there with the Sky 6 which, lets face it, is becoming the most inportnat thing in football. 

An added bonus would also be that more and more people will be exposed to Villa and the fan base will go through the retractable roof - meaning that it will speed up the extinction of Small Heath

• Like 1

I don't like any of the new builds. I do think Everton needed a rebuild, and Spurs, but Upton Park certainly had more charm than the bowl they ended up with.

Honestly think we would be crazy to bulldoze Villa Park but I do respect the opinions others have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, thabucks said:

As the mods don’t like chat regarding a new stadium in the redevelopment thread. Thought I’d start a new one for debate, ideas, locations for us who are open to relocating away from Villa Park. It’s a fantasy thread I know but keeps the other one for our current long term home. 

In order for any potential move to be financially viable I think it would need to meet the following criteria.

• To be a true 365 days a year multi use arena, capable of holding large concerts, England international and semi finals, boxing, major rugby games etc. 
  • Have a retractable pitch and roof.
  • Located near a major public transport hub fit for purpose. 
  • Good access for vehicles still with onsite parking. 
  • ideally centrally located. 
  • design aesthetically befitting both internally & externally. 
  • Plenty of things to do nearby. 

Discuss 

I’m a remainder at Villa Park but hypothetically for this discussion, I don’t think ‘centrally is ideal’ in this discussion.  I very much agree with transportation connections and additional facilities and all the good stuff but I think ‘centrally’ i.e. Town Centre, is the last place to have it, I’ve never got this idea it has to be in town.  Yes it has to have access to town via transportation but the best thing imo would be based away from town centre. 

Having lived in Sydney, I loved going to Sydney Olympic Park.  It had concerts, football, rugby everything and the transportation system was far better than anything here and catered for any type of transport or visitor.  Being in town would be a nightmare idea for anybody other than those going drinking before or afterwards.

• Like 3

Did I really start this thread nearly a decade ago?!

Like so many I was clearly seduced by Xia's grand vision of rollercoasters and fairies floating around the North stand. Ah well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Did I really start this thread nearly a decade ago?!

Like so many I was clearly seduced by Xia's grand vision of rollercoasters and fairies floating around the North stand. Ah well.

When the plans for the new Trinity first came out, must have been 1999, there was also a new North Stand planned. There was a model of the redevelopment with a beaming Elllis!

25 years later here we are!

Edited by Captain_Townsend

4 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

When the plans for the new Trinity first came out, must have been 1999, there was also a new North Stand planned. There was a model of the redevelopment with a beaming Elllis!

25 years later here we are!

I remember seeing that model in the Trinity reception in the mid 2000s on a ground tour!

Basically a replica of what they were doing at Newcastle at the time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I remember seeing that model in the Trinity reception in the mid 2000s on a ground tour!

Basically a replica of what they were doing at Newcastle at the time.

Pretty much. Then Lerner in 2009-10 had planned for a new North Stand that looked a bit like Old Trafford to me.

Purslow's plan at least was in keeping with the 'Villa Park look'.

• Like 1

I think you can absolutely build a new Villa Park and work hard to keep some of the aesthetic. The brickwork, the mosaics, the statues could all be worked in to a new and modern stadium and i'd expect them to be. Like with everything about how we brand ourselves, we can't ignore our history but we also can't be limited by it. A modern stadium with modern facilities that pays a very strong homage to Villa Park would be ideal for me.

I live in a city which had a major stadium upgrade a decade ago, and it's centrally located, which absolutely makes it more useful. The two biggest sports clubs in the city moved from a stadium out in the suburbs with terrible transport options and it was horrible and congested trying to get out every time.

I'm not fully aware of the public transport options in Birmingham but the ability for people to get in on busses and trains and utilise the extensive amount of parking options available in the Adelaide CBD and surrounds definitely boosts attendance. It also boosts the stadium's use as an entertainment venue.

There is always plenty to do around the stadium in terms of eating and drinking with money that goes back to the club. People go elsewhere before and afterwards, but that's a good thing, because you get people that might not have gone to the football attending anyway because they can continue their night out in town afterwards. Going to the football becomes part of a night out instead of the entire night out, and that's appealing to people.

• Like 4