Which is the bigger nightclub...The Academy or Gatecrasher

benevans

In terms of size, what nightclub is bigger, Birmingham Academy or Gatecrasher?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of size, what nightclub is bigger, Birmingham Academy or Gatecrasher?

• Birmingham Academy
    • Gatecrasher, Broad St

Just a little debate I was having with my mate at the pub tonight, thought I'd get some fellow VTer's opinion on the matter.

Basically, which do you think is bigger, in terms of size? For those that have been to both, taking into account all the available rooms and floors in Gatecrasher, and both the main room in Academy and the Academy2.

I personally think Gatecrasher is the clear winner, although my friend has already done me on capacity, with the Academy have 3000, Gatecrasher 2400.

So, which one do you guys think?

Crahser by a mile. Are you sure it only holds 2400?

You'd think so wouldn't you? I thought it would eclipse the 4,000 mark, but when i searched Google for the capacity it came up with a report from one of the Birmingham newspapers about the opening of Gatecrasher, saying it had a capacity of 2,400. Very surprising given the length of the queue you get there.

Either way, the place is absolutely **** huge, I really couldn't understand my mate's logic, you could easily get lost or lose someone else in that place.

Crahser by a mile. Are you sure it only holds 2400?

You'd think so wouldn't you? I thought it would eclipse the 4,000 mark, but when i searched Google for the capacity it came up with a report from one of the Birmingham newspapers about the opening of Gatecrasher, saying it had a capacity of 2,400. Very surprising given the length of the queue you get there.

Either way, the place is absolutely **** huge, I really couldn't understand my mate's logic, you could easily get lost or lose someone else in that place.

I fthat is the capacity, then I would imagine it's for safety reasons rather than purely how many you can cram in there.

Venue capacity is usually determined by total area with a certain area per person, it is then limited down by the amount of fire exits a place has and then how many floors it has, the higher the floor the lower the capacity (it takes longer to get to safety). Its a none to complicated formula but sheer size of the place is not the only factor, escape routes are of prime importance

Venue capacity is usually determined by total area with a certain area per person, it is then limited down by the amount of fire exits a place has and then how many floors it has, the higher the floor the lower the capacity (it takes longer to get to safety). Its a none to complicated formula but sheer size of the place is not the only factor, escape routes are of prime importance

I think that would explain why Academy has a bigger capacity. It's all just one huge space, and only 2 floors, where as Crasher has all sorts of floors and i would imagine access to fire exits is a lot less easy than iin Academy.

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew there had to be a reason for why the capacity isn't so high. I'll tell my friend to politely **** off now :D

And yeah I believe it's still supposed to be moving to the Dome. Never been there though, is the place any good? (The Dome I mean.)

Is the Academy still moving to the Dome?

I'd like to know this too. I'm going to see Fat Freddy's Drop at the old one in November so if they are I'm guessing it's not until after Christmas?

Sorry to go OT, but what is the Gatecrasher like?, and where abouts is it?,

just i'm goin' over to Birmingham for my birthday in November, catch a game and then head out,

we usually go to the Academy,

I like the place because it aint crowded and you can walk around the place easily enough, is Gatecrasher packed?, usually...

just i'm goin' over to Birmingham for my birthday in November, catch a game and then head out,

I like the place because it aint crowded and you can walk around the place easily enough, is Gatecrasher packed?, usually...

Its where the works used to be on the corner, well from what ive heard they are quite arsey on the door. have a read of some of the reviews

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Birmingham/Gatecrasher-Birmingham/24017129516?ref=ts

Yeh it's where The Works used to be, at the top end of Broad Street near the Five Ways island. They are strict on the door, especially at the moment as they have a huge amount of people wanting to go in. That'll calm down though. i would advise if you want to go, check if they are selling tickets before hand and buy some, as they'll let you in if you have a ticket (as long as you aren't dressed like a tramp!). Otherwise just get there fairly early, dress smart and you should be fine.

It's a top night out though, recommend it highly.

Yeh it's where The Works used to be, at the top end of Broad Street near the Five Ways island. They are strict on the door, especially at the moment as they have a huge amount of people wanting to go in. That'll calm down though. i would advise if you want to go, check if they are selling tickets before hand and buy some, as they'll let you in if you have a ticket (as long as you aren't dressed like a tramp!). Otherwise just get there fairly early, dress smart and you should be fine.

It's a top night out though, recommend it highly.

This arguement all started because we went there on Friday (Indie night)...but on the subject of the venue and how the night is;

The queue looked massive when we got there, probably about 150-200 people in it but we got to the front in about 10 minutes. I was expecting to get ID'd but the bouncers didn't even look twice at me (I'm vertically challenged, but I do still look my age (22)). £5 in, so same price as the Academy, can't complain there.

If you want to put your coat in at the cloakroom, be prepared for a bit of a walk and a long queue. I couldn't be arsed with it in the end so not sure how much it costs.

I didn't stray far from the main room, but there are 3 other rooms in the place too that place a variety of dance, cheese, etc, so I'm sure you can find something there that you'll like.

Main room plays mainly indie and mainstream dance, more popular stuff rather than obscure album songs. I have to say though, the selection of tunes when we were there was top notch. The dancefloor is always packed ala busy Snobs, and the atmosphere was generally pretty good down there. You get the odd dickhead pushing you in the back, but most people don't mind the cosyness.

Queue for drinks is a bit of a bitch, but what place isn't on Broad St? They had a deal going on that was something like 2 double vodka and mixer for £5. I don't drink the clear stuff myself, but apparently it was a decent deal. Other than that, drinks drinks aren't Ramshackle cheap, but they're not extortionate either, so it won't burn a whole in your pocket.

Overall it was a decent night, which would have been made better if I was out of my tree, couldn't seem to get drunk though.

I would definitely recommend trying it once at least. If you Rams a lot, it's a good Friday alternative.

Â