Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

I like the breakdown and interpretation. So based on what you’ve said what targets come to mine? Any that you suggest fit this mould? 

Baena from Villareal comes to mind but he’s basically a more technical and less physical version of McGinn. 

Players like Guendouzi, who were linked to, that have an edge of physicality about them but are still progressive. 

Id expect someone in that mold, around 20-30 million. 

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I spoke to my brother earlier and he’s hearing loads we are definitely in for Baena (he has no ITK) and it’s close.  Whether true or not it certainly seems we are in for a winger given all the links for various players and John Percy mentioning the other day that we want a winger.  I just assumed it was a right footed left side like Baena.  I’m just going with the flow to whoever we buy (give or take, I’m sure I’ll hate some links 😁)

Baena’s been linked or reported on quite a few times, would be great - top assister in La Liga this season.

We’ll surely be making moves, especially after this season’s experience and stepping up to CL.

Gonna be fun 😆

Of course, we will have to see and trawl through a lot of BS and nonsense too but that just goes with the territory these days.

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Left footed right winger…we have Bailey and Diaby for that, wouldn’t it be surprising for us to get another in?  Surely we’d be looking for a right footed left winger?

Well we have Buendia, Ramsey and Rogers. Admittedly all 3 could eb the middle player. But so can mcginn and Diaby. 

We've still not really been linked to any rbs yet. Which seems mad considering how desperate our need for one is.

Order of priority for players this summer

DM, RB, LB, CB, Winger

Actually I'd probably say DM and player who can play DM or B2B is massively important. So we can have subs even when Tielemans and Mcginn are playing as 10, RM/LM

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I do love the varied, wild transfer rumours the Spanish press whip up. Whether it means anything, we shall see.

Yeah it’s all part of the fun n excitement isn’t it? Whether any of it is legit is another matter 😆

What has Unai done to us… don’t think I ever dreamed of us being in CL and going for top or the best young talents out there… incredible 😮 

Building something special…

What a time to be a Villa fan…

UTV 💜💙

• Like 1

Personally… I want a RB that can defend first and foremost and help us with holding the line and playing the offside trap as effectively as we did last year…

not so concerned about that player bombing on unless he can actually defend properly first… while being composed in possession and able to pass the ball well…

I love attacking players and reinforcements but there is no doubt that what this side needs most is defensive steel and prowess… it’s what we lack the most.

If we ended the window with Soule, Fofana, Baena and Hermoso.. we'll be a force to be reckoned with next season. 

I trust Monchi to get rid of the 'deadwood' and the players deemed surplus to requirement

I think in the hypothetical world where we had a full squad available, the most easily-improved areas of the first eleven are the full back positions, and the weakest in depth is DM, with there being a general lack of athleticism and/or physicality compared to other good teams. Would expect this stuff to be addressed only because it seems apparent to the majority of fans, although the Baena link being from a reliable source is interesting because he's quite a diminutive technical player in a position that we're not exactly light in. Obviously Emery, Monchi and Co. will have their own ideas that are more informed than ours, but interesting all the same.

• Like 1

we 100% need to sort our defence and DM position this summer.

we have already conceded more goals this season than last season (53 vs 46), and still 2 games to go.

image.png.bf5f6e85a7e3ec59d88083e2001875d5.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

That's why I think people will be disappointed by some of the CM names we will be linked with because I think Unai will still prefer a ball playing CM over a purely defensive CDM.

I'm not so sure.

He wants to attack with at least 7. At first, that meant leaving the RB at home and advancing the LB while both Doug and Kamara joined the attack. That said, at times we've seen him keep Kamara in the back 3 while both fullbacks advance. He's not completely closed-minded to a "pure" DM.

45 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We've still not really been linked to any rbs yet. Which seems mad considering how desperate our need for one is.

Maybe they think Nedjelkovic is ready, however unlikely that seems.

5 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

We miss Ramsey, and his pace, more than we miss Luiz when they are not playing.

Except that Rogers has many of the same attributes as JJ...

13 hours ago, picicata said:

I think Morgan would be more the back up striker than either Bailey and Diaby. 

I'll reserve judgment because I haven't seen him play that role. If he can do it, great, that's one less thing to spend limited funds on.

31 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The challenge is that this profile - physical CDM who is also progressive and can play in a posession style Unai wants - is exceedingly rare. It's probably the only position as scarce as an all around CF.

And even if there is someone who fits the profile, you'll be sure that players in on the target list of a lot of other squads. Caicedo cost 100M and he's a physical counter presser but not a natural 6 who can drop in the line and has made his share of terrible mistakes in possession. Spurs have Sarr and Hojbjerg but ask Spurs fans about them and their reviews are less than complimentary. Palhinha at Fulham was targeted by Bayern but was anyone impressed when Watkins stole the ball off several times? 

That's why I think people will be disappointed by some of the CM names we will be linked with because I think Unai will still prefer a ball playing CM over a purely defensive CDM.

The dream would be a defensive CDM who is also progressive but that list is short and expensive.

Mats Wieffer from Feyenoord Fits the description perfectly… 

https://fbref.com/en/players/4876c9ab/Mats-Wieffer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Mats Wieffer from Feyenoord Fits the description perfectly… 

https://fbref.com/en/players/4876c9ab/Mats-Wieffer

Yeah this is a good example of the type we will target. Not a destroyer but someone who’s more defensively inclined of a midfield two. 

Transfermarkt has him at 27m so in the range I expect us to shop as well. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yeah this is a good example of the type we will target. Not a destroyer but someone who’s more defensively inclined of a midfield two. 

Transfermarkt has him at 27m so in the range I expect us to shop as well. 

i think that value has risen, probably because his boss is off to Liverpool

Â