Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

I’ve watched Jonathan David for years and I don’t think he’d get ten goals in a PL season. Screams Edouard to me as another player we were linked to a lot who came in and scores about five per season. Swapping Ollie for a gamble like that has a good chance of dropping us from challenging CL to midtable IMO, and even if David comes in and scores five goals MORE than Ollie per season that would only move us maybe a place higher in the league - too much risk for too little reward, IMO.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TRO said:

The better ones do.....That's where we are now.

The problem is, asking for a ball winner, some interpret that as a thug with an attitude.....and others think a Rodri or Rice, is beyond our reach.....so the right ones get dismissed.

I was surprised, when we got Kamara, because of the above..... we had been waiting some time, for a player, like him.

some folk seem to think all midfielders are the same.....when in fact there are different types of football bias, from them....I.e Kamara and Tielemans are both midfielders, but they are different.....I don't see that expressed, or highlighted,  that often.

We need another one, to compete with BK.

I would have picked veermeran but he just got sold for 17m which is a serious bargain 

46 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’ve watched Jonathan David for years and I don’t think he’d get ten goals in a PL season. Screams Edouard to me as another player we were linked to a lot who came in and scores about five per season. Swapping Ollie for a gamble like that has a good chance of dropping us from challenging CL to midtable IMO, and even if David comes in and scores five goals MORE than Ollie per season that would only move us maybe a place higher in the league - too much risk for too little reward, IMO.

Someone will take a chance on him before too long so I think you will get to see if you are right or not at some point.

like I mentioned if we want to spend like I set out then it’s Watkins or Luis for those massive figures. He will never be as valuable as he is right now and be worth sod all in 4 years time.

i would even if David isn’t as good the uplift in the teams performance from the other 4 positions over a season would be better than the same players we have now.

also it’s fairly likely we will drop off anyway going by other teams who have broken in the past, like Newcastle this year.

i respect your opinion on it though just as long as that opinion comes with the understanding not much can come in of real quality without doing it

Rather than risk David I’d go for Pavlidis at AZ as he looked lively against us and has some decent consistent scoring stats too, including in European football.

Failing that another youngster, perhaps Wahi or Konate. I think a left sided forward would help us as they could cover up front but also give us another option on the left of JJ is out of form/injured/suspended. 

I’d be inclined to keep Konsa centrally and opt for Geertruida or Simakan who can play the defensive RB if needed but also CB if Konsa is out.

I like both Truffert and Frimpong and would be happy with both, especially Frimpong.

I wouldn’t go near Zubimendi as he’s a bit pricey, even with his release clause. Guido Rodriquez would be a decent cover for Kamara or one of the young uns out there (Larsson, Seiwald, Reits, etc)…or just play Tim there.

I’d like better cover for Luiz as well, perhaps sacrificing the LB position (Truffert) for this. (Veerman at PSV please)

So mine would be Pavlidis, Geertruida, Veerman, Frimpong and Reits.

We’re probably not going to sign another RB or LB any time soon and talk of replacing Ollie is laughable. There is literally no one better who we could afford to buy and who would come to us, he must be in the top 20 strikers in the world right now (though my wider football knowledge is very poor admittedly).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

We’re probably not going to sign another RB or LB any time soon and talk of replacing Ollie is laughable. There is literally no one better who we could afford to buy and who would come to us, he must be in the top 20 strikers in the world right now (though my wider football knowledge is very poor admittedly).

The point of the posts on this over the last day is largely how to use the FFP room that the sale would bring.

• Like 1

I think some of the detailed posts have shown how reshaping the squad with Digne, Cash, Donks, and possibly Carlos and luiz going coupled with champions league football would give us huge room to move in the summer. 

Luiz replacement, Starting Right back, Kamara cover, young CB and back up striker would be the key additions. Hopefully the young left back we bought from arsenal is good enough to be the back up to Moreno and the Serbian RB can be cover for the new RB

Edited by DakotaVilla

36 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I think some of the detailed posts have shown how reshaping the squad with Digne, Cash, Donks, and possibly Carlos and luiz going coupled with champions league football would give us huge room to move in the summer. 

Luiz replacement, Starting Right back, Kamara cover, young CB and back up striker would be the key additions. Hopefully the young left back we bought from arsenal is good enough to be the back up to Moreno and the Serbian RB can be cover for the new RB

Losing Luiz would be stupid. Enough of players we've brought recently are more misses than hits. This confidence that we can replace Luiz and improve is nonsensical

• Like 4

I think we could replace him a lot easier than we could replace Watkins, Kamara, Martinez or even Pau. And with the wider squad you could build from the 100m I’d be very confident that we’d be stronger for it as well. There has to be some Spanish wonder kid on Monchi’s/Emery’s radar that we could pick up for 40 million and then fund a top class right back, DM cover, striker cover etc. 

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

I think we could replace him a lot easier than we could replace Watkins, Kamara, Martinez or even Pau. And with the wider squad you could build from the 100m I’d be very confident that we’d be stronger for it as well. There has to be some Spanish wonder kid on Monchi’s/Emery’s radar that we could pick up for 40 million and then fund a top class right back, DM cover, striker cover etc. 

Who are we selling Luiz to for £100m??

A team already ahead of us while we gamble on a wonderkid from a different country hoping that his ceiling is even higher?

One in the hand is worth two in the bush

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

Obviously I wouldn’t want to sell Luiz but because of PSR this is what we will have to do…. Unless we build a mega new stadium etc etc. 

There's no actual proof of this though, we've said we have to sell, every club in the league has to sell, it doesn't mean we have to sell our best players, we have to sell the deadwood and unfortunately because of these stupid rules some more of the kids 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

City have "such great team and depth" and poor record when Rodri is out

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Who are we selling Luiz to for £100m??

Have a feeling from last window and the FFP or P&R scrutiny the days of these sales are done. Horrible time for cottage industry of football transfer spoofers.

Some fair points being raised.

We either sell kids and fringe players and add incrementally and hope for sustained champions league to increase the revenue or we have to do that and sell one big player every three years to give the flex to strengthen the squad more quickly. Unfortunately we’ll always be on the back foot re PSR just because of the stadium capacity/lack of corporate facilities etc. 

• Like 1

If we sold Luiz for £100m that would allow for significant signings and solve all our FFP related problems for a few years. 

Selling him only makes sense if we sign 3 players with the money. City probably only club who could sign Luiz though, Arsenal couldn't afford him right now.

A decision on Luiz needs to be made one way or another, sign him to a new contract or sell him. We can't let his deal run down. 

A situation where we begin to sell some first team players to renew and refresh the squad the way the top sides do it, that'll be a positive not a negative.

Â