Boxing Day Football/Midweek Football 26/28 December

andykeenan

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand the moaning, but that’s a penalty against Onana (or should be in my mind). 

What's your thinking?

Ignoring the laws of the game for a moment and just thinking about what's fair, in an ideal world, he's lunging in to block the ball, the shot is from point blank range, his arms are in a perfectly natural position for the lunge in he's attempting, he can't possibly get out of the way, and the shot isn't even going in.

I've got two big issues with the current rules, one, a penalty for absolutely any handball in the box feels far too harsh for what is often a very minor transgression, I think we need a separate "DOGSO" handball that results in a penalty.

Additionally, if the above isn't a "natural" position and we need all defenders to hold their arms behind their back in the least natural pose in the world, we may as well just bin it off and revert to "if it touches the arm it's handball, regardless of intent". The intent was to stop people starfishing and just making themselves as big as possible then saying "whoops, didn't mean it". If we're punishing people for having their arms spread or up when they're jumping or sliding in while claiming it's "unnatural" the rule is absolute nonsense. 

• Like 2

The handball rules are a farce. He was in a natural position for someone trying to use his body to block it, he was not trying to make himself bigger or gain an advantage. He's trying to protect his face (though it still hits him). Common sense would confirm that it's not a foul. How can the assistant give that? He's miles off. The ref lets himself get bullied by 3/4 City players who insist it's a penalty.

I don't think he was protecting his face and would be on a hiding to nothing with that anyway as it's not the rule anymore 

However I dont think his arm is in an unnatural position for someone stretching to block like that and more importantly I think it's bollocks given the ball was blasted at him from a yard away

It's less of a penalty than ours and Liverpools 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What's your thinking?

Ignoring the laws of the game for a moment and just thinking about what's fair, in an ideal world, he's lunging in to block the ball, the shot is from point blank range, his arms are in a perfectly natural position for the lunge in he's attempting, he can't possibly get out of the way, and the shot isn't even going in.

I've got two big issues with the current rules, one, a penalty for absolutely any handball in the box feels far too harsh for what is often a very minor transgression, I think we need a separate "DOGSO" handball that results in a penalty.

Additionally, if the above isn't a "natural" position and we need all defenders to hold their arms behind their back in the least natural pose in the world, we may as well just bin it off and revert to "if it touches the arm it's handball, regardless of intent". The intent was to stop people starfishing and just making themselves as big as possible then saying "whoops, didn't mean it". If we're punishing people for having their arms spread or up when they're jumping or sliding in while claiming it's "unnatural" the rule is absolute nonsense. 

A player has run across to block a shot, turns as he reaches the position to block and his “trailing” arm gets stuck up in the air, ending up blocking a shot.

I’m not sure on the natural/unnatural argument. It possibly is pretty natural for your “trailing” arm to turn and go higher, but I’m not sold on that - and you can’t use your hands (and by extension, arms) as an outfield footballer.

I think there’s an argument to be had that it isn’t handball if it’s outside the box, but blocking a shot? Yeah, it’s a penalty for me. 

I'm all for not giving every handball as an automatic penalty, I've said that many times on here, but people seem to be forgetting that it was a shot from 7 yards out that had every chance of hitting the back of the net...

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most irrelevant bullshit stat on Arsenal I have ever heard just on Talkshite.

"Arsenal have not lost against any London club since May last year".

Who gives 2 shits if they are a London club or not, they have lost.

West Ham beat them in November in the cup

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most irrelevant bullshit stat on Arsenal I have ever heard just on Talkshite.

"Arsenal have not lost against any London club since May last year".

Who gives 2 shits if they are a London club or not, they have lost.

The same stat was doing the rounds about villa last week... 

Â