Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

It's a little unsure quite what the Apple vs PC war is now. Microsoft bailed out Apple, and the fact that Apple still allow a great deal of Microsoft programmes to run surely shows that Microsoft do have a bit of a stranglehold on Apple. (You only have to look at a programme like Coral Draw.. if Apple or Microsoft decide they don't like you, you're screwed)

I think it makes good business sense for them to not get too carried away with the war between themselves though. People talk about the huge rivalry, but actually Apples and PC's, despite working in very different ways, do have alot of crossovers, and do allow alot to run cross-platform. It is more worth their while to keep the rivalry between themselves whilst both continue to do a similar job for different markets, and not give something like Linux half a chance to sneak in because of a petty quarrel.

I think I read somewhere that Apple now make more money on hardware than Microsoft do. Presumably most of this would be iPods and iPads, but I still found that surprising over all the PC's sold worldwide. It's also interesting that 72% of websites on the internet now contain Quicktime in some form, whereas only 40% contain Adobe Flash.

38m iBooks have also been sold since the launch of the iPad earlier this year. Be interesting to see how many books somewhere like Waterstones, a book shop who've had their troubles this year, have sold in a similar space of time..

I think I read somewhere that Apple now make more money on hardware than Microsoft do. Presumably most of this would be iPods and iPads, but I still found that surprising over all the PC's sold worldwide.

Thats not surprising to me at all. Microsoft don't make much hardware PC wise at all. Their main output hardware wise is peripherals - keyboards, mice, etc. You don't see Microsoft branded computers, meanwhile Apple have long been hardware centric. Apples hardware differentiates itself to create effectively it's own market as well, whereas Microsofts hardware goes to market with inumberable competitors, many of which outdo it at that level, companies like Logitech for example.

I'd have been worried if Apple weren't making more money on hardware than Microsoft to be honest.

Rm57y.jpg

Out of curiosity, what does everybody get? This table is only what companies are legally obliged to offer but I'm sure companies in the USA do provide paid holidays.

Me? I get 20 days annual leave and 11 days paid holiday. The annual leave has to be taken in blocks (one week in Spring, two weeks in Summer/Autumn and one week in Winter) but the paid holiday can be taken whenever it is needed, providing the company can cover your shift. In fact, I am on a one day holiday today. :)

Oh, and Blackpool were in the bottom division in 2000/01, they have since gone through every division to play in the Premier League, but they have never been promoted automatically. They are the only side ever to go through all four divisions via the play offs.

Lessee... I get 14 days a year of vacation, plus 4 personal days, plus paid holidays for New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (plus time-and-a-half for any hours worked on those days along with a couple of others).

Haven't used more than a week of the vacation time in years, I just get it paid out in a lump sum at the end of the year (or more properly on the anniversary of my employment).

• 2 weeks later...
Lessee... I get 14 days a year of vacation, plus 4 personal days, plus paid holidays for New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (plus time-and-a-half for any hours worked on those days along with a couple of others).

Haven't used more than a week of the vacation time in years, I just get it paid out in a lump sum at the end of the year (or more properly on the anniversary of my employment).

Jesus Christ, that's next to nothing, and you don't take it???? :shock:

I get 35 days annual leave, plus 9 bank holidays (i.e. public holidays - the lowest number in the EU, I believe), plus 5 "customary" days (4 between Xmas and New Year plus the Tuesday after easter Monday).

And I make damn sure I take them all.

Out of interest, how long is the average working week in the US?

I think 40 hours per week is considered "normal" here if you are in full time employment, though individual cases may vary. My salary is based on a 35 hour week, which is pretty sweet.

Out of interest, how long is the average working week in the US?

I think 40 hours per week is considered "normal" here if you are in full time employment, though individual cases may vary. My salary is based on a 35 hour week, which is pretty sweet.

40 is the standard, though there's variation depending on what you mean. For benefit administration, most companies I've run into set the eligibility for full benefits (full holiday pay, health cover, etc.) at 30 or 35 hours. For most jobs, more than 40 hours in a week is overtime (1.5 base rate of pay), though professional (e.g. doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, accountants, engineers, programmers, journalists, etc.), administrative, and executive employees are exempt from the requirement to pay overtime.

Fair Labor Standards Act (the main base of federal employment law)

The Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts's pages summarizing and addenda to the FLSA in Massachusetts

• 1 month later...

Another 1992 is "year zero" stat for you, but of the seven clubs who have played in each of the 19 seasons of the Premier League, Liverpool have picked up the fewest red cards.

Liverpool - 40 red cards

Aston Villa - 42

Manchester United - 49

Tottenham Hotspur - 49

Chelsea - 57

Arsenal - 60

Everton - 67

The dirtiest team are Blackburn, who have had 69 red cards in 17 seasons.

The most for a team in a season is 9, which was Stoke City in 2009/10

Yeh I was on 37 hours when I started my current job but we got bumped up to 40 during the depths of the recession. i don't expect to see those 3 hours again!

I was wrong. We go back to 37 next month.

How's that for useless information?

Â