Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Your name can have a significant effect on the perception people have of you, going so far as to even make you appear more attractive or successful in others eyes.

weird you say that as the other day I was thinking I don't know any ugly girls called Sarah , in fact every Sarah I've known has always been above average in the "she'd get it " stakes .. every Lisa I've ever known has always been a bit flirty and every bloke I've ever met called Ian has been extremely unfunny whistling.gif

There is only one English professional football team whose name contains none of the letters in the word "mackerel".

Swindon Town

Correct. Did you Google it, or work it out?

It's a pretty old brain teaser to be fair, i think the answer is fairly well known.

One of the rules of "Drinking Soccer Saturday" is to shout MAckerel every time Swindon are mentioned because of that brain teaser.

There is only one English professional football team whose name contains none of the letters in the word "mackerel".

Swindon Town

Correct. Did you Google it, or work it out?

It's a pretty old brain teaser to be fair, i think the answer is fairly well known.

One of the rules of "Drinking Soccer Saturday" is to shout MAckerel every time Swindon are mentioned because of that brain teaser.

How annoying, I didn't know that. We had a round of five "mackerel" questions in our pub quiz on monday, and that was the only one we didn't get (the others were; country, U.S. state, London tube station and element).

We still won though! :hooray:

the largest number known to man is called Graham after professor graham. this ends in a 7, it was discovered in the 70's. Prior to this the largest number known was a googolplex. The zeroes in a googleplex would fill every atom in the universe, a Graham is massively larger

A Graham is not the largest number known to man, as BOF ably demonstrated. However, it was once the largest number known to be used in a reasonably useful mathematical proof.

Interestingly that proof was to solve a certain problem in Ramsey theory. :thumb:

If it does end in a 7, wouldn't ending it with an 8/9/0 instead make it bigger?

the largest number known to man is called Graham after professor graham. this ends in a 7, it was discovered in the 70's. Prior to this the largest number known was a googolplex. The zeroes in a googleplex would fill every atom in the universe, a Graham is massively larger

A Graham is not the largest number known to man, as BOF ably demonstrated. However, it was once the largest number known to be used in a reasonably useful mathematical proof.

Interestingly that proof was to solve a certain problem in Ramsey theory. :thumb:

If it does end in a 7, wouldn't ending it with an 8/9/0 instead make it bigger?

The Graham has never been claimed (except by colhint, who misunderstood things) to be the biggest number. It merely was, for a time, the largest "magic" number in a useful mathematical proof (magic in the sense that it's the specific number that made the proof work).

As determined by none other than myself, the largest number known to man is called a "Villa" and is the largest number ever calculated +1.

Is it the number of goals we let in on saturday?

As determined by none other than myself, the largest number known to man is called a "Villa" and is the largest number ever calculated +1.

Is it the number of goals we let in on saturday?

No, we've already established that a number ending in 7 is not the largest number known to man.

The two and three toed species of sloth are both exceptions to a 'mammalian rule' - almost all mammals have 7 neck vertabrae, even those with very long or short necks. These sloths have 6 and 9 respectively.

The two and three toed species of sloth are both exceptions to a 'mammalian rule' - almost all mammals have 7 neck vertabrae, even those with very long or short necks. These sloths have 6 and 9 respectively.
I'm quite surprised that none of those are Fibonacci numbers.

Â