Jareth

10 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Don't think we will, but if you were Emery, would you sacrifice a potential FA Cup run by playing the youth team against boro to focus on the ECL and title/top 4?

Absolutely. Obviously love the FA Cup but I genuinely believe we are a year - maybe 2 - ahead of schedule in the plan the owners had for us and this don't quite have the squad for all these competitions. Yet

I've been looking at the upcoming fixtures for us and the other title rivals (is it still completely ridiculous to write that?) and it's interesting that Arsenal and Liverpool play each other twice in the next 6 games. So we potentially could establish a bit of a cushion over at least one of them by early Feb. Also, Liverpool could be missing Salah for up to 4 games (Bournemouth, Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley) depending on how well Egypt do at AFCON. Man City have the easier fixtures on paper (and may use the club world cup as a bit of a break for some players). I expect them to close the gap, especially if De Bruyne's back fit soon.

Those fixtures:

Arsenal:
Liverpool (A)
West Ham (H)
Fulham (A)
Palace (H)
Forest (A)
Liverpool (H)

Liverpool:
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (A)
Newcastle (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (A)

Villa: 
Sheff Utd (H)
Man Utd (A)
Burnley (H)
Everton (A)
Newcastle (H)
Sheff Utd (A)

Man City:
Brentford (H) - postponed
Everton (A)
Sheff Utd (H)
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (H)
Brentford (A)

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

31 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I've been looking at the upcoming fixtures for us and the other title rivals (is it still completely ridiculous to write that?) and it's interesting that Arsenal and Liverpool play each other twice in the next 6 games. So we potentially could establish a bit of a cushion over at least one of them by early Feb. Also, Liverpool could be missing Salah for up to 4 games (Bournemouth, Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley) depending on how well Egypt do at AFCON. Man City have the easier fixtures on paper (and may use the club world cup as a bit of a break for some players). I expect them to close the gap, especially if De Bruyne's back fit soon.

Those fixtures:

Arsenal:
Liverpool (A)
West Ham (H)
Fulham (A)
Palace (H)
Forest (A)
Liverpool (H)

Liverpool:
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (A)
Newcastle (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (A)

Villa: 
Sheff Utd (H)
Man Utd (A)
Burnley (H)
Everton (A)
Newcastle (H)
Sheff Utd (A)

Man City:
Everton (A)
Sheff Utd (H)
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (H)
Brentford (A)

Would be great if both Liverpool v Arsenal games were a draw.

• Like 1

What's your confidence levels? 

Top at Christmas if Liverpool and Arsenal draw. Less demanding European campaign than either of those. No League Cup distraction. 

Best home record in the league, best GF at home too. Only Newcastle have conceded fewer goals at home. Second overall for goals scored behind Man City. 7th for Goals conceded overall. 

Have you got much room in the budget to strengthen come January? If so, what do you need?

22 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Absolutely not.

If the game was midweek maybe, but it's a Saturday kick off with a week off coming up two weeks later.

We should be competing on all fronts.

I agree and given that Unai often talks about respecting competitions and opponents I can’t see him throwing the towel in for any match or competition 

11 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Those fixtures:

Arsenal:
Liverpool (A)
West Ham (H)
Fulham (A)
Palace (H)
Forest (A)
Liverpool (H)

Liverpool:
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (A)
Newcastle (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (A)

Villa: 
Sheff Utd (H)
Man Utd (A)
Burnley (H)
Everton (A)
Newcastle (H)
Sheff Utd (A)

Man City:
Everton (A)
Sheff Utd (H)
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (H)
Brentford (A)

Why is the Man City v Brentford game postponed?

15 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree and given that Unai often talks about respecting competitions and opponents I can’t see him throwing the towel in for any match or competition 

Boro might be more likely to throw it than us, they'll have first leg of league cup semi a few days later now

• Like 1