Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

On 10/01/2024 at 14:55, allani said:

Not as an out-and-out striker.  But when he started at Roma he played in a more advanced role than he has been for us - basically on the shoulder of the defenders but wider than a striker would start.  His job seemed to be to try and either break past the defenders to get on the end of through balls or to get the ball wide right and try and beat his man and attack the box.  Although he didn't score masses of goals I thu  But he was typically several yards further forward than where he has been playing for us.

How creative is he? What is his passing and chance creation like?

He seems to be more of a goal threat than a creator… but I think he’s constantly being played out of position (Unai has said this too) and not getting enough time to show what he can do… again, I’d prefer him coming off the bench earlier and even instead of someone like Duran…

Also, with Diaby out of sorts and out of form… maybe it’s time to give Nico that chance and let Bailey go back to the wing…

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought Duran was there purely to be a battering ram vs branthwaite and to be fair it did work to an extent we just didn't do enough 

I don’t have an issue with Duran, I like him. But he’s still a kid really and I do believe Nico (who also has height and strength but superior technical ability) could impact the game more if he was as involved…

Or even just come in for Diaby who continues to struggle… maybe come back stronger after a bit of a break…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t have an issue with Duran, I like him. But he’s still a kid really and I do believe Nico could impact the game more if he was as involved…

Or even just come in for Diaby who continues to struggle… maybe come back stronger after a bit of a break…

I dont know if it that game he can impact the game more

Everton set up with 2 battling CBs who followed Watkins all round the pitch and gave him a push or a boot whenever the ball whenever the ball went near him 

What bringing Duran on did was give them another body to try and pick up, zaniolo wouldn't do that, we couldn't free anyone up with their CBs, Duran was an attempt to do so and we kind of did but with no real quality 

I can see the logic of it at least 

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How creative is he? What is his passing and chance creation like?

He seems to be more of a goal threat than a creator… but I think he’s constantly being played out of position (Unai has said this too) and not getting enough time to show what he can do… again, I’d prefer him coming off the bench earlier and even instead of someone like Duran…

Also, with Diaby out of sorts and out of form… maybe it’s time to give Nico that chance and let Bailey go back to the wing…

He was always more direct than creative.  His ball control was good but he wasn't a two / three step over type player.  More a knock the ball past the man or get in front of them to run onto a through ball.  He was definitely tasked with attacking the last man, attacking the box and trying to get shots away.  I think his "assists" were quite low but actually he had the highest number of "goals coming from a shot" in Serie A in both of his first two seasons (i.e. his shot would be blocked / saved / come back off the woodwork and from that Roma would go onto score).  So they didn't count as goal contributions but actually his initial play / shot did end up with Roma scoring.  It looks like he's trying to beat his man at the moment rather than just power past them.

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Everton set up with 2 battling CBs who followed Watkins all round the pitch and gave him a push or a boot whenever the ball whenever the ball went near him 

What bringing Duran on did was give them another body to try and pick up, zaniolo wouldn't do that, we couldn't free anyone up with their CBs, Duran was an attempt to do so and we kind of did but with no real quality 

Sure, like I said… Unai knows best.

I’d just like to see him more involved… after the important goals he has gotten for us recently too… I think he can excel in support of Ollie and even cover his position.

Should have more confidence and belief now but needs more time and more of a chance… I believe in him…

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

'Battling' is one word you can use

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allani said:

He was always more direct than creative.  His ball control was good but he wasn't a two / three step over type player.  More a knock the ball past the man or get in front of them to run onto a through ball.  He was definitely tasked with attacking the last man, attacking the box and trying to get shots away.  I think his "assists" were quite low but actually he had the highest number of "goals coming from a shot" in Serie A in both of his first two seasons (i.e. his shot would be blocked / saved / come back off the woodwork and from that Roma would go onto score).  So they didn't count as goal contributions but actually his initial play / shot did end up with Roma scoring.  It looks like he's trying to beat his man at the moment rather than just power past them.

Thanks… and how much did he play on the wing and how effective was he from there?

I’ve convinced myself that we won’t see the best of him until he gets to play more centrally and he’ll have more of a sight of goal then too…

I remember his long range shot in ECL, that rebounded and was headed in by Duran…

We need someone to have a decent strike at goal and test the opposition keeper form time to time… it’s a really useful weapon to have…

-

I was so impressed by his hat trick for Roma against Bodo Glimt… the variety of finishes too… I want him in that kind of area for us…

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

'Battling' is one word you can use

How about reckless, ruthless, aggressive, fouling, cheating, dirty, filthy scum?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Would love us to try this, with the injuries we now have and players out of form:

Watkins

Zaniolo

McGinn.     Luiz.       Kamara.      Bailey

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If we return him, we need a replacement. We can't lose a forward before Buendia gets back.

Given the rumblings of limited FFP room, and poor value in January, I could only see a different loan player coming in. Are they likely to be more effective than Zaniolo given the potential respective familiarity with the way we play?

Seems a gamble, but maybe not one that has much of a risk to it.  I feel like there's more to come from Zaniolo, it hasn't clicked for him yet but I just get a feeling it will.

I agree, he has a lot more to offer and his recent goals should give him confidence (he looks a bit more relaxed and less tense or frustrated) and maybe warranted more of an opportunity… probably more deserving of a place in the side than Diaby right now… Ramsey has been struggling with injuries/knocks and form… Duran has been no better… I’d like to see more of him…

Wouldn’t make sense to send him back if he is settling and growing in confidence, getting properly acclimatised… will be a real boost if he can kick on and help us more for the rest of the season but… he needs to be given chances too…

If he isn’t getting the time… I can see why he and his agent would be considering going back…

Once again, I would prefer seeing him come on rather than Duran and playing in that sort of position - I think it’s how we will see the best of him. I don’t think he’s a winger… let Bailey and Diaby focus there…

• Like 1

I guess it’s typical agent talk and not exactly unfair to point out… but the player needs to warrant more time too… 

Nico may feel differently too, has only spoken positively about the club…

I like and rate both players but… I’ve been more disappointed in Diaby or his performances than I have been in Zaniolo…

Especially when we have invested so much in Moussa… however, I expect him to recover from this “slump” and stand out as a key player for us again…

I really want this to “work”

come on Nico, score a cracker then fly for us…

Would love at least one Italian stallion in our side 🇮🇹🤌

Carbone was one of my favourite players to have ever played for us (despite how short lived it was)…. Ooh…that Leeds hat trick 👌

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 12:21, Jas10 said:

Would love us to try this, with the injuries we now have and players out of form:

Watkins

Zaniolo

McGinn.     Luiz.       Kamara.      Bailey

I’d still play a defence and goalkeeper however many goals you think Zaniolo can get from that position. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’d still play a defence and goalkeeper however many goals you think Zaniolo can get from that position. 

Can’t play in defence or goal though can he? 😉 

Been stuck out on the wing, why I put the midfield lineup there…

let’s get him up there and central to start getting us goals and more of an attacking edge…

I’m sure he has more to offer than Duran…

and even Diaby for/right now…

I think he's been pretty unlucky tbh. He's probably had very little pre season himself with an impending move on the horizon or time to settle, from what I gather still in a hotel. He covered Ramsey's position whilst he was out and until Teilemans could get himself match fit and used to the system. Which incidentally coincided with some of our best form this season.  Then when everyone starts getting fit or used to the system he reverts back out wide and then because of Leon's form is down to bit's and pieces. 

I can understand if he's a little frustrated tbh. He's had less time than anyone to settle other than Lenglet, who has been in England previously. He's shown versatility and a willingness to adapt to the system already playing in several positions, even if he hasn't been really imposing himself the way I expect he can. Add to that, he's had very little game time the last few weeks, just when he probably thinks he's getting somewhere, chipping in with a couple of goals and having more impact. 

I think it might be just agent chatter to let the club know he's frustrated and wants more game time. I don't see anything wrong with it, he's going to have a lot of options come the summer if we don't sign him. I think it's easy to forget he's still only a youngster himself and after so long out want's more for himself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I really want this to “work”

come on Nico, score a cracker then fly for us…

Would love at least one Italian stallion in our side 🇮🇹🤌

Carbone was one of my favourite players to have ever played for us (despite how short lived it was)…. Ooh…that Leeds hat trick 👌

I'd love it to work, but at the moment his contribution has been negligible and he certainly isn't worth the fee to makes things permanent that's been reported if he makes so many appearances.

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'd love it to work, but at the moment his contribution has been negligible and he certainly isn't worth the fee to makes things permanent that's been reported if he makes so many appearances.

That’s fair, at this point we shouldn’t be paying a significant fee for him… and would be justified in looking at/for different options…

but, what if he improves, impresses and we see a lot more/better for him during the second half of the season?

Can be debated either way but.. I personally would like to see him given more of an opportunity and in his preferred position… 

Â