Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I would do the one on the RHS but the outer border is claret (so wouldn't be visible on this background) and the inner two are both the same colour blue so it's just a thicker border. It's not working with the white in between as the blue is just softened.

Ohhh I have many more versions, including that. It’s not really a showcase of possibilities, more than an expression I can’t find one I like more than the yellow lion on blue 😂

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t comprehend how anyone could truly believe or say that there is some sort of improvement here… we’ve made it worse… it’s so ugly when you put them next to each other:

spacer.png

spacer.png

🤢 

what a complete and utter waste of time and resources and misleading of fans.

This is actually so funny.

The bottom one looks like somebody has asked a 9 year old to draw the top one from memory

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry lads but this actually looks damn good to me here... The hated " drop shadow " actually achieved what it was meant to... **** JV goes scurrying into hiding from @Jas10 and @Captain_Townsend for being a traitor 👀

Each to their own, but I think it looks terrible. It looks so cheap

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ohhh I have many more versions, including that. It’s not really a showcase of possibilities, more than an expression I can’t find one I like more than the yellow lion on blue 😂

Then Heck has worn you down into submission

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I agree with a lot of what you said here. However the round badge was externally commissioned and thats is perhaps more unsatisfactory, I guess you cant please all the people all of the time.

A lot of people have a downer on Heck, it seems to be a sport and common narrative for Villa fans. He is very American and an easy target and to label as not understanding our sport. But he has a big task ahead, he's gong to upset a few along the way as is the way and the nature of the task. Could be convenient soundbites and easier said than done but I have to say I do like his tone and analysis: 

“The club was run on efficiency as opposed to ambition,” he says, and being tight-fisted wasn’t helping the brand grow.

“I didn’t come over here to be average,” Heck adds, describing the huge potential he sees for the club in its 150th anniversary year. 

“This is the club that’s going to break the mould,” he says. The top level of the Premier League is in flux. The traditional ‘big six’ is changing and Aston Villa ended the current season ahead of the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United. It was this potential that appealed to Heck. 

“Aston Villa was the one that stood out. It’s in a huge market, it’s a club of history and then they hired this magical coach,” he adds. “This is the club that’s going to break the mould and that’s when I was like – OK, I’m in.”

We have to give the guy some trust and time to evidence his actions. I think it will take a while but he is trying with the implementation of several initiatives already for good or bad, and I would suggest he is a net gain. Time will tell but I wish him well, we have a long way to catch up and quickly too. There is phrase in tech 'move fast and break things', some of that may be the attitude here as we have been laggards for decades.

I'm fine with his improvements to our financials, commercial deals etc, plus his ambitions and aspirations - but he doesn't seem to understand our sport, or club, or he is too brash and confident to take a pause, and some advice, on how to communicate to us.  It appears from the delay and soft 'under the radar' launch of this badge that the club knows its not well liked - and having the arrogance to design it "in house" is embarrassing and shows in the lack of coherence through the 'brand board'. The quotes above are all well and good - but the lies and misdirection from the puff piece and the 'its with the fans' comments are insulting.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Then Heck has worn you down into submission

😂 it’s not a fight or a struggle. It’s just an unpopular design. We all get use to it time and some will love it. Some will have it as a tattoo. Funny ol world 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VictoriabcVillan said:

It's just fine. The amount of people overly emotional & pompous about a drop shadow is absolutely comical though. Seriously if your getting that upset & wound up over a shadow on a badge. I think you should speak to someone. 

Welcome to the site.  Bashing a large amount of people on day one is certainly a statement introduction.  We are an emotional bunch but in this case over the badge it’s fairly justified.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I agree with a lot of what you said here. However the round badge was externally commissioned and thats is perhaps more unsatisfactory, I guess you cant please all the people all of the time.

A lot of people have a downer on Heck, it seems to be a sport and common narrative for Villa fans. He is very American and an easy target and to label as not understanding our sport. But he has a big task ahead, he's gong to upset a few along the way as is the way and the nature of the task. Could be convenient soundbites and easier said than done but I have to say I do like his tone and analysis: 

“The club was run on efficiency as opposed to ambition,” he says, and being tight-fisted wasn’t helping the brand grow.

“I didn’t come over here to be average,” Heck adds, describing the huge potential he sees for the club in its 150th anniversary year. 

“This is the club that’s going to break the mould,” he says. The top level of the Premier League is in flux. The traditional ‘big six’ is changing and Aston Villa ended the current season ahead of the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United. It was this potential that appealed to Heck. 

“Aston Villa was the one that stood out. It’s in a huge market, it’s a club of history and then they hired this magical coach,” he adds. “This is the club that’s going to break the mould and that’s when I was like – OK, I’m in.”

We have to give the guy some trust and time to evidence his actions. I think it will take a while but he is trying with the implementation of several initiatives already for good or bad, and I would suggest he is a net gain. Time will tell but I wish him well, we have a long way to catch up and quickly too. There is phrase in tech 'move fast and break things', some of that may be the attitude here as we have been laggards for decades.

Yeah but nobody has yet to convince me that his awful badge or cancelling the North stand redevelopment or confusing comms  are absolutely pivotal to him achieving the things you mention. That is the issue - so far the implementation is just not stacking up for a club trying to compete with the sky 6.

The bottom line is the identity of the club is for the fans and should represent the fans. I think many feel that this new badge doesn't do the club justice. At the same time, looking at what Heck did in America, turning a team worth 300 million to one worth 3 billion, it's clear he knows what he's doing in terms of marketing and building a brand. I think it's ugly but have kind of gotten over it now. The balance between making fans happy and creating a marketable product is a hard one and the crux of the issue. There has to be a balance and the problem is that this situation feels unbalanced - yes, Heck is the expert, but he hasn't listened to the wishes and sentiments of the fanbase enough.

We're stuck with it now and I'm sure it will grow on people. But I think the backlash from fans is justified and useful in that it might urge Heck to learn from his mistakes in future. The problem with those wishing fans to just shut up and accept it is that without pressure from fans, owners and board members will have licence to run riot, which is good for nobody besides them and their profits.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VictoriabcVillan said:

It's just fine. The amount of people overly emotional & pompous about a drop shadow is absolutely comical though. Seriously if your getting that upset & wound up over a shadow on a badge. I think you should speak to someone. 

It’s wank and represents our club in a sub-optimal way, during a global expansion.

The rollout, communication, non-consult of fans has been nothing shy of a **** disgrace - we’ve literally had 3 crests this year and it’s not ok. 

Call me a shrink, I’ll tell him the badge is disgusting aswell 👍

Easiest and cheapest fix (seeing as that was our obvious intention), that would actually improve and not further ruin what we had? Something we already use, just flip the colours:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh well, what’s done is done.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ingers said:

I'm fine with his improvements to our financials, commercial deals etc, plus his ambitions and aspirations - but he doesn't seem to understand our sport, or club, or he is too brash and confident to take a pause, and some advice, on how to communicate to us.  It appears from the delay and soft 'under the radar' launch of this badge that the club knows its not well liked - and having the arrogance to design it "in house" is embarrassing and shows in the lack of coherence through the 'brand board'. The quotes above are all well and good - but the lies and misdirection from the puff piece and the 'its with the fans' comments are insulting.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this.

Whether it is in-house or not really doesn't make any difference, it's the talent and competence of the designers and the people that are leading them that is important, I've seen big design companies spit out awful work just as I have seen in-house teams do incredible work and vice versa.

The "brand book" images we've seen today show plenty of coherence to my eye, consistent use of colour and elements, maybe a font-face more than I believe is ideal but nothing awful certainly. We haven't even seen everything or how it is going to be used, and keep in mind that some it (I'm guessing a lot of the stuff seen at the awards dinner) will be used for the 150th year only.

The new crest is not great, and the process and communication of it has been terrible, but there's some good stuff being done as well, I can see the building blocks of an actual brand being put in place, and that is exciting as we largely have never really had one.

• Like 4

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Add your chosen colours back in, job done:

New-Crest-Stereo02.pngNew-Crest-Stereo04.png

No place for the 1874, just get rid.

Honestly - the simpler and cleaner, the better.

Don’t need too many elements.

Ah… the days of dreaming of a standalone lion 😆

• Like 2

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

Don’t forgot to add a claret background to represent the shirt. 

I'd wager that the badge appears on a white background more often than not

10 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this.

Whether it is in-house or not really doesn't make any difference, it's the talent and competence of the designers and the people that are leading them that is important, I've seen big design companies spit out awful work just as I have seen in-house teams do incredible work and vice versa.

The "brand book" images we've seen today show plenty of coherence to my eye, consistent use of colour and elements, maybe a font-face more than I believe is ideal but nothing awful certainly. We haven't even seen everything or how it is going to be used, and keep in mind that some it (I'm guessing a lot of the stuff seen at the awards dinner) will be used for the 150th year only.

The new crest is not great, and the process and communication of it has been terrible, but there's some good stuff being done as well, I can see the building blocks of an actual brand being put in place, and that is exciting as we largely have never really had one.

Agreed - I see the vision down the line. 

That the fans dislike the new badge for a variety of reasons I understand but branding doesn’t start and stop with just this badge. 

And to be honest, I think they know this current badge of not the best iteration seeing as how they don’t have it on display anywhere but have relentlessly pushed the rest of adidas style images instead. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No place for the 1874, just get rid.

Honestly - the simpler and cleaner, the better.

Don’t need too many elements.

Ah… the days of dreaming of a standalone lion 😆

The fans voted for that to be an element - you cannot ignore the fans views - oh wait 😆

• Like 1

Â