Premier League 2 - U21 Development League 2023/2024

BOF

Really good performance. First 20 mins our pressing was reminiscent of the first team and put us in a strong position. There was a passage of play in that period where Brighton tried to play out with accurate one touch passing. They managed about five passes until they gave it back to us as every one of their players was tightly marked, even with the ball being pinged about. After that we managed the game well and picked them off when the opportunities arose. The last time I saw us play was on 3 Nov vs Brighton away and the players look more comfortable in executing our system now.

Borland is a really nice footballer - technically sound, calm, makes good decisions.

Proctor is cool as a cucumber with the ball at his feet and also made some good saves.

Jimoh has the tools to be a player - he's big, athletic and skilful.

Barring a silly tackle by Feeney at the end, everyone played well up to that point. Hard to pick a Motm but I would agree with Tony Daley on commentary and give it to Broggio for his influence in the first 20 mins. He was exceptional during that spell and won us the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As with the first half I thought the first year scholars Proctor, Triston Rowe, Borland, Broggio, and Jimoh-Aloba when he came on were the standouts, which is a very encouraging sign, and more to come from that age group as well. Felt sorry for Wilson, came on when the game became a little scrappy, so we weren't able to create any chances for him, if he was on earlier good chance he would have got a few goals, I think maybe saving him for Wednesday as he's the only striker the U18s have unless they promote from the U16s

Proctor, Ealing, Triston Rowe, Smith, Munroe Alcock, Tommi O'Reilly, Ted Rowe, Pierre, Richards, Broggio

Subs: Lewis, Barber, Hart, Borland, Burchall

Looking at that line-up today could be a tough game, especailly as Tommi O'Reilly and Proctor aren't long back from Bosnia and Herzegovina. Good to see a decent amount of first year scholars involved, hopefully more to follow, and brilliant to see Ajani Burchall back after being out injured for over a year

Wasn't a great performance for the most part, Fulham had ten men for the majority of the game but we needed a late goal salvage a point, and before then we didn't really look like scoring

Not really surprising, looking at the starting line-up, before kick-off I thought it could be an heavy defeat

All that said we did improve in the final fiften minutes after the likes of Borland, Barber, Burchall and Hart came on, we might even have snatched a later winner but wasn't to be

I think big pluses were Burchall coming back and doing well all things considered, and once again the first year scholars, Proctor, Triston Rowe, Borland, and Broggio all showed great potential

• Like 1

I watched the second half. It was a decent performance against a strong and well drilled defence. We didn't panic or abandon our football, but lacked a bit of end product. The equalizer came when Richards, who was playing up front, dropped deeper which opened up space for O'Reilly to run in behind and set up Hart. Prior to that he spent the half standing up against their centre halves and was easy to mark.

Broggio was our biggest threat once again, and we needed a bit of luck as Fulham had chances on the break to put the game beyond us. A good point overall.

• Like 1

Fulham were the better side I think, but it was an interesting contest that we probably should have won in the end - 11v11 they were better and we really struggle with the lack of size/strength/running power in our midfield - but with the sending off they tired toward the end and we really put them under pressure. 

Good to see Burchall back, even if I did wince every time he took a clattering and I thought Ben Broggio was heroic for the last twenty minutes - out on his feet but always willing and beating the full back time and time again - we're a team with some obvious weaknesses, but there's no shortage of effort and the quality players we do have are capable of making a difference.

I thought Tristan Rowe did well at centreback, which iI'm pretty sure isn't natural for him, Smith next to him was good too. Proctor made some good saves and the midfield subs gave us something when they came on.

Fulham in fairness to them defended really, really well, they're strong, quick, organised and break with real purpose - yet we probably should have won it at the death.

Tommy O'Reilly is interesting to watch - I'm guessing he grew up in a house with a very small garden because he's fantastic in small spaces - the ability to turn on the ball in both directions, the little swap between the feet that he does to trick a defender, his first touch, balance, he's got all that stuff. He's excellent in a crowd and he's very pleasing on the eye - but I sometimes think back to when football management games had play represented by little circles moving around the pitch, if Tommy was represented that way, then there would be lots of occasions when the ball would reach his little circle, it'd wriggle about a bit and then nothing would happen. He passes the eye test, but he needs to be careful not to become decorative - to develop, he'll need to learn to find bigger spaces and use them, too often, he's so good at what he does in a crowd that he almost seems to want to be in that situation all the time. It might well be that he'll be better with better players, but I think sometimes he needs to move the ball quicker and maybe try to do more without it. That's probably a little harsh, but his talent is such that he merits a high bar.

Anyways, Bodymoor is back to cold, we had a plethora of talent in the crowd with Feeney, Young, Moore, Kellyman, Swinkels and co all in attendance and you couldn't fault the effort on the pitch - a little luck and we'd have the points to go with it. There's plenty to work with.

• Like 3

Fulham draw added, and all league results up to yesterday added. No more U21 action this calendar year. Next up is a trip to Newcastle on the 15th of January.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Gilbert and Karl Hopper were Idiakez's assistants, so I guess will either promote one of those and then promote someone from the U18s to replace them as assistant, or bring someone new in. Was thinking recently it might not be such a bad idea to bring Liam Bramley back, I don't think he's had another role since leaving Norwich, but might not want to come back to academy football, even if we were interested

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it weird that we've sold out the game at Bodymoor against Stoke on 23rd February already?

Obviously confident we can do it on a cold Friday evening against Stoke.

• Like 1

Yesterday's matches updated. We're back up and running now. Pretty much full programme over the next week. 16 teams play before we do on Monday.

Stoke City     4-2 Norwich City
Leicester City 2-2 Newcastle Utd

whats with Emery?

is it Lander Emery?, i cant even see him on transfermarkt as a player!?

is he a goalkeeper?

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

whats with Emery?

is it Lander Emery?, i cant even see him on transfermarkt as a player!?

is he a goalkeeper?

I just assumed Unai turned up to watch. I was wrong.

Â