Álex Baena

AvfcRigo82

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

There's a very good chance we will be attempting to get him in January.

Fingers crossed we pull him off! (Kenneth)

Where have you heard this from? I’m very happy to believe you, just want to know how much I should believe you. 😬

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

Where have you heard this from? I’m very happy to believe you, just want to know how much I should believe you. 😬

Friend of a friend stuff.

We tried to get him in the summer alongside Torres. For whatever reason it didn't happen. I understand we're going to try again in January. That's all I know.

If it happens. Awesome. If not, nothing lost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There's a very good chance we will be attempting to get him in January.

Fingers crossed we pull him off! (Kenneth)

Why do you like him so much? I've not seen that much of him but he doesn't seem to be that amazing. I imagine he'd play a fairly similar role to what Tielemans has done recently. 

I rather feel he'd be pretty redundant now that Ramsey is back. We have 3 roles for attacking players and we have Ramsey, Mcginn, Tielemans, Diaby, Bailey to fill those 3 roles plus we still have zaniolo and Traore in the team atm. Don't see it unless both of them are moved on. 

Edited by MotoMkali

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I've not seen that much of him but he doesn't seem to be that amazing. I imagine he'd play a fairly similar role to what Tielemans has done recently. 

Me neither. I think having squad depth will be key (whoever we sign come January) as we now start to move into the business end of the season.

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Another player that signed +5 year contract in 2023. Makes perfect sense. We are such shrewd operators that we wait for players to sign long term contracts 

Didn't the same thing happen with Grealish before leaving for City?

Could just be Villarreal's way ensuring they get a decent fee for him.  🤔

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Why do you like him so much? I've not seen that much of him but he doesn't seem to be that amazing. I imagine he'd play a fairly similar role to what Tielemans has done recently. 

I rather feel he'd be pretty redundant now that Ramsey is back. We have 3 roles for attacking players and we have Ramsey, Mcginn, Tielemans, Diaby, Bailey to fill those 3 roles plus we still have zaniolo and Traore in the team atm. Don't see it unless both of them are moved on. 

We had similar posts to this when we were linked with Pau Torres - "Why do we need him when we have Mings and Konsa" - Turned out Emery knows what he wants and players he can trust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We had similar posts to this when we were linked with Pau Torres - "Why do we need him when we have Mings and Konsa" - Turned out Emery knows what he wants and players he can trust.

Yep. If you want to be a big team and challenging for numerous trophies then you need a big squad.

As we witnessed, Mings, Ramsey & Buendia... followed by Moreno were all sidelined for a lengthy period of time.

The squad we have has done wonderful so far in where we're at in both the league and UECL, but we won't be able to keep this up all season, burnout will soon catch up once we enter into the FA Cup too.

As for Baena, he would fit perfectly on that left side of the attack. Adding more numbers in January is needed and this lad certainly fits into how we play under the Emery way.

Yeah I concur, Villa need reinforcements.

Spuds, Barcodes and Man Poo could all be out of Europe so will be rested for an assault on the CL places.

Anyone seen Alex Baena play at all, must admit I've heard of him but I never watch La Liga anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I was about to repeat the point that we are far more pressed for rotation options at DM, and probably right back, but this post reminds me that Emery knows what he's doing. If we sign him, it will be because Emery thinks we need him.  And it will not be at the expense of something else we need. Maybe as well as, but he's not going to shoot himself in the foot.

Maybe the right back or DM he wants isn't available until the summer, and this guy is available with a release clause now.

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Didn't the same thing happen with Grealish before leaving for City?

Could just be Villarreal's way ensuring they get a decent fee for him.  🤔

Grealish is a boyhood player with significant connection to the club. The 3 players mentioned yesterday are this guy, Frimpong, and Williams. Why would we pay over odds on all these players buying after big contract extension? Are we a charity?

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Grealish is a boyhood player with significant connection to the club. The 3 players mentioned yesterday are this guy, Frimpong, and Williams. Why would we pay over odds on all these players buying after big contract extension? Are we a charity?

Sorry, but this is all jibberish nonsense.

Maybe we should send Torres and Diaby back and ask for a refund since you hate the thought of us spending big?

Big clubs buy big name players - with that come big fee's.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sorry, but this is all jibberish nonsense.

Maybe we should send Torres and Diaby back and ask for a refund since you hate the thought of us spending big?

Big clubs buy big name players - with that come big fee's.

Did Torres and Diaby sign contract extensions just before signing with us? You've completely ignored point I made which has nothing to do with spending big

Edited by Kiwivillan

19 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Frimpongs supposed buyout clause is a relative snip, same with Williams. Those are the fees you'd expect to pay for players like them. 

Baenas is 60 million and he's worth nowhere near that much we will negotiate what we feel is a fair price if we are indeed interested. Personally I hope not as I don't really see what he offers this team and I'd rather spend that money on a number of other players in the summer. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Frimpongs supposed buyout clause is a relative snip, same with Williams. Those are the fees you'd expect to pay for players like them. 

Baenas is 60 million and he's worth nowhere near that much we will negotiate what we feel is a fair price if we are indeed interested. Personally I hope not as I don't really see what he offers this team and I'd rather spend that money on a number of other players in the summer. 

Unai's opinion is all that matters

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Sure but we don't know what his opinion so we can discuss it without bringing him up. It's **** pointless otherwise. 

I understand, this is a forum after all.

I was more coming from the point of view that the Pau Torres signing shocked everyone pretty much as nobody thought we needed a CB and look how that worked out. I just don't think you can write off players/positions as signings at the moment is all. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are they over the odds prices? Players signing contracts then leaving a year later seems more common now. Gives the player an increase in wages in the short term, and allows the club to receive a fair fee, and not lose the player on a free transfer. 

João Palhinha signed a new Fulham contract after his Bayern moved collapsed in the summer. There is no way he will be playing for Fulham next season, he may even leave in January. 

• Like 2

Â