Top flight league table (since 1888)

mjmooney

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Who is the current biggest club to have never played in the top division?

Rotherham I think are the only Championship club not to play in top flight but its probably Plymouth

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Everton Vs Villa being the most played top flight match is interesting given there are 3 other teams who played significantly more top flight matches than us. There must have been some convenient relegations for multiple clubs for that to happen.

I can see why you came to that conclusion but I think what you need to focus on is the number of seasons each team have been in the top flight.

The top two are Everton and Villa so not a huge surprise it would be the most played top flight fixture.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/football-league/seasons-in-top-flight/

Top 10 below:

1 EVERTON

Everton Results

2 ASTON VILLA

Aston Villa Results

3 LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Results

4 ARSENAL

Arsenal Results

5 MANCHESTER UNITED

Manchester United Results

6 MANCHESTER CITY

Manchester City Results

7 NEWCASTLE UNITED

New Castle United Football Results

8 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Tottenham Results

9 CHELSEA

Chelsea Results

10 SUNDERLAND

Sunderland Results

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's amazing to think for about 50 years until probably the 40's we were the most successful club in the country 

This is a brilliant video showing just that 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2023 at 22:38, rjenkins said:

Was discussing this table with some mates and an interesting question came up. I wonder when the last time the top 20/24 teams in this list were all in the top division together, or if it's even ever happened?

Well now I also want to know. But I’m also too lazy to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

This is a brilliant video showing just that 

We were pretty much nearly always top until 1970

Sunderland a bit surprising I didnt think had that much top flight seasons

That table shows you how shit Manure were before Fergie. Even having him for nearly 30 years they are still only one place above us and we've been absolutely crud for the most of that time.

I hate people that think Manure have always been this massive club. It really was winning the 1st PL that propelled them along with that insane crop of youngsters they had (because Bobby Charlton Soccer Schools had been hoovering up all the talent around the UK)

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That table shows you how shit Manure were before Fergie. Even having him for nearly 30 years they are still only one place above us and we've been absolutely crud for the most of that time.

I hate people that think Manure have always been this massive club. It really was winning the 1st PL that propelled them along with that insane crop of youngsters they had (because Bobby Charlton Soccer Schools had been hoovering up all the talent around the UK)

It was all sorts of things. Fergie, marketable young players who are very talented, start of Premier League more TV and money, Manchester becoming popular in mid 90's through music etc.

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

They have been massive since the 50s tbf. Best, Law, Charlton etc.... Their global fan base precedes the class of 92 by some distance. (Although clearly its grown ridiculously since)

Out here in Asia its literally just Man United and Liverpool. No other Premier League club exists. Even Cheat FC aren't a thing. It's generational and I doubt it'll ever change.

21 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

They have been massive since the 50s tbf. Best, Law, Charlton etc.... Their global fan base precedes the class of 92 by some distance. (Although clearly its grown ridiculously since)

Hard to say they've been massive since the 50's when Best didn't make his debut until 1963 and Law signed in 1962.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Not sure what this has to do with Red Nose's Manure being successful on the pitch.

That part of the country became cool for whatever reason and kids became drawn to it. That includes the (at the time just one) football team that happened to be winning everything 

Edited by VillaJ100

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Hard to say they've been massive since the 50's when Best didn't make his debut until 1963 and Law signed in 1962.

I'd say late 50s for sure. They were getting over 50k at games then and of course they then had the likes of the names mentioned coming in a few years later.

There are many, many fans out here in Malaysia/Singapore who have followed them since the 50s/60s. Its not just a new thing.

Edited by GlobalVillan

On 08/06/2023 at 22:55, Mark Albrighton said:

If anyone was curious about Glossop North End’s 34 games in the top flight. It was the 1899/00 season.

And yes, you know full well who was among the clubs in their four games they managed to win. 

On the plus side, the previous encounter was a 9-0 victory and would form part of the title win that season.

So I think we had the last laugh in that regard.

The last laugh so far, anyway.

I was at the 2015 FA Vase final supporting Glossop North End - a friend from work was a season ticket holder of theirs. We went because I'm a gob-shite, I said if Glossop get to the final the project team would go. It was a great day out, odd to see Wembley virtually empty.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2023 at 13:28, TheAuthority said:

It started with the Busby babies really with Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton etc. Don't know what crowds they got during this period but they won the league twice with those kids 

Â