Premier League 2023/24

Pinebro

So the 2022/23 season we witnessed the biggest top 7 shakeup for a long time. It's been very refreshing, especially the likes of ourselves and Brighton.

In the top 4 we have 2 new teams, Newcastle and Arsenal. Newcastle are very likely to spend big this summer and with the CL lure I don't there's a lot of players they won't be able to attract. Arsenal have a very strong base of players and I don't see them falling away.

Liverpool and Chelsea are supposed to improve but the league is so competitive and I can't see them making top 4 next season. As stated, I think Newcastle will keep pulling away.

As for the bottom half of the table I fear for Luton Town. I feel they will be the new whipping boys but this league tend to surprise us.

This thread isn't meant to be a table predictor. More a general discussion about the teams.

Edited by Pinebro

Get the feeling we're in for a similarly two tier league like we saw this season.

14 points between 9th and 11th place this season. That's mental.

Spurs (8th) will really struggle unless they keep Kane... Brentford (9th) will drop to the bottom half without Toney for half a season. 

Chelsea (12th) should take their places having got Poch in. They'll be a much better proposition next season. 

Palace (11th) and Fulham (10th),  will likely find themselves around the same spots, competing with Spurs, Wolves (13th) and Brentford for the 8th to 13th spots.

Then below that,  we could see any of the three promoted teams or the current 14th to 17th placed teams finishing in the bottom 3.

West Ham going to struggle again, likely to have no Rice, and potentially more European football to contend with.

I can see Everton finally dropping. Dyche is good, but that club is screwed. The rest I could make a strong case for going down. There's a lot of dross, as well as a lot of quality at the top. 

Edit: my early,  pre transfer window prediction for the teams I think wilk join Everton.... Luton, think they'll just lack the quality they'll need to grind out wins (sorry Marv 😞) and Bournemouth, who I think over performed and because it would be too obvious to pick Sheffield utd.

Edited by MrBlack

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm going to put my cock on the block and say man City will win it

That's a pretty big statement.

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Get the feeling we're in for a similarly two tier league like we saw this season.

14 points between 9th and 11th place this season. That's mental.

Spurs (8th) will really struggle unless they keep Kane... Brentford (9th) will drop to the bottom half without Toney for half a season. 

Chelsea (12th) should take their places having got Poch in. They'll be a much better proposition next season. 

Palace (11th) and Fulham (10th),  will likely find themselves around the same spots, competing with Spurs, Wolves (13th) and Brentford for the 8th to 13th spots.

Then below that,  we could see any of the three promoted teams or the current 14th to 17th placed teams finishing in the bottom 3.

West Ham going to struggle again, likely to have no Rice, and potentially more European football to contend with.

I can see Everton finally dropping. Dyche is good, but that club is screwed. The rest I could make a strong case for going down. There's a lot of dross, as well as a lot of quality at the top. 

I'm not so sure about that...between Mbeumo and Wissa they still have two very capable forwards. They also played five league games this season without Toney:

Draw @ Forest

Win vs Liverpool

Win vs West Ham

Win @ Spurs

Win vs City (albeit final day, changed team, etc)

1 hour ago, a-k said:

I'm not so sure about that...between Mbeumo and Wissa they still have two very capable forwards. They also played five league games this season without Toney:

Draw @ Forest

Win vs Liverpool

Win vs West Ham

Win @ Spurs

Win vs City (albeit final day, changed team, etc)

There was a element of fortune in that run, the Liverpool result the exception. City barely cared, spurs have been rubbish for a long time now, West Ham focus elsewhere  and draw vs Forest not exactly a great result.

He's their top scorer by a mile, and they'll almost certainly struggle without him. But it's just my prediction, and you are right they have some good attacking players besides him.

Be interesting to see how far off my expectations are come the end of the season. These things never age well. 😅

• Like 1

Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Luton looks a pretty solid bottom 3.

Bournemouth did very well to survive comfortably but there's usually a promoted team that really struggles in the second season up and Fulham and Forest have finances to kick on now.

Sheffield United should be competitive but their ownership is currently a mess with no sign it will be resolved for start of next season so that will be frustrating for them and think they'll get off to a poor start.

Luton will turn over a few early at Kenilworth Road (please let's not have them early away...) but hard to see them keeping that up over 9 months.

My actual big prediction for next season is Burnley to comfortably finish mid table. They've played some brilliant football in championship and think they'll surprise many and turn over plenty of teams home and away. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Luton looks a pretty solid bottom 3.

Bournemouth did very well to survive comfortably but there's usually a promoted team that really struggles in the second season up and Fulham and Forest have finances to kick on now.

Sheffield United should be competitive but their ownership is currently a mess with no sign it will be resolved for start of next season so that will be frustrating for them and think they'll get off to a poor start.

Luton will turn over a few early at Kenilworth Road (please let's not have them early away...) but hard to see them keeping that up over 9 months.

My actual big prediction for next season is Burnley to comfortably finish mid table. They've played some brilliant football in championship and think they'll surprise many and turn over plenty of teams home and away. 

Think I agree with your predictions, but IIRC Bournemouth's finances are pretty solid. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think I agree with your predictions, but IIRC Bournemouth's finances are pretty solid. 

It's always tough to get in proven players though with their general standing. They aren't getting Atletico Madrid's starting LB or multiple CL winning keeper like Forest did for example.

Lerma's going to Palace on a free so that will be their midfield weaker for a start and I think they'll struggle for goals next season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's always tough to get in proven players though with their general standing. They aren't getting Atletico Madrid's starting LB or multiple CL winning keeper like Forest did for example.

Lerma's going to Palace on a free so that will be their midfield weaker for a start and I think they'll struggle for goals next season.

Definitely need a better striker. Solanke works hard but doesn't score enough and Kieffer Moore  is just Rudy Gestede mark 2. 

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

And that's probably ok for them.

Were we the lowest points total in PL history.when we went down? What was our haul?

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Were we the lowest points total in PL history.when we went down? What was our haul?

Derby were the lowest

11 points in 07-08

Edited by Pinebro

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Derby were the lowest

11 points in 07-08

Shit....that's.....just.....did they have a team?

I was gonna say that I could see Luton beating the record, but that's so catastrophically awful it seems unlikely.

I was gonna say that I could see Luton beating the record, but that's so catastrophically awful it seems unlikely.

They had an ancient Robbie Savage as CM and captain says it all

I still can't believe it happened.

Likely to never get beaten.

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I still can't believe it happened.

Likely to never get beaten.

I’m sure the players from that Derby side would smile ruefully at the irony of that sentence.

• Like 1

Â