35 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite Python-member?

• Graham Chapman
    • John Cleese
    • Terry Gilliam
    • Eric Idle
    • Terry Jones
    • Michael Palin

I'm semi-watching Monty Python live at the Hollywood bowl atm and just re-discovered how funny they were. Absolute best comedian "group" that has ever existed. IMO. I think everyone has their favourite scenes with them and

is one of mine as is this. Why not just post your favourite moments on here for a good laugh? :D

I'll add a poll too to vote for your favourite Python-member. Mine is Eric Idle, closely followed by Michael Palin. Guess I know which Trekkas is. :P

Cleese for me, I just love his comedic style. The barely controlled rage, the fantastic straight man stuff he'd do.

I also liked Chapman and Palin.

As for favourite scenes, the usuals obviously, but I always thought

was fantastic ('What'd you mean, lock the door?'), and from the same film Cleese's Grim Reaper. Self Defence against Fruit as well.

I like them all!

particulary enjoyed the Spanish Inquisition episode with Palin as Ximinez, Jones as Biggles and Gilliam as Fang:

(Ximinez ): Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

And Cleese in the Architect Sketch, who has his abbatoir turned down as they only want a block of flats:

"Yes, well, of course, this is just the sort blinkered philistine pig ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage. You sit there on your loathsome, spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss about the struggling artist. (shouting) You excrement! You lousy hypocritical whining toadies with your lousy colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic handshakes! You wouldn't let me join, would you, you blackballing bastards. Well I wouldn't become a freemason now if you went down on your lousy, stinking, purulent knees and begged me."

It's so close. All so good at different things, but Cleese and Palin are probably my favourites.

Actually, I don't think I'll vote. Having to choose between them is far too silly.

It's so close. All so good at different things, but Cleese and Palin are probably my favourites.

Actually, I don't think I'll vote. Having to choose between them is far too silly.

Yet you have the late great Chapman as an avatar!

Another Python classic!

Interviewer Good evening. I have with me in the studio tonight Mr Norman St. John Polevaulter, who for the last few years has been contradicting people...Mr Polevaulter, why do you contradict people?

Polevaulter I don't!

Interviewer You told me that you did.

Polevaulter I most certainly did not!

Interviewer Oh. I see. I'll start again.

Polevaulter No you won't!

Interviewer Ssh! Mr Polevaulter I understand you don't contradict people.

Polevaulter Yes I do!

Interviewer And when didn't you start contradicting people?

Polevaulter Well I did, in 1952.

Interviewer 1952?

Polevaulter 1947.

Interviewer Twenty-three years ago.

Polevaulter No!

Cut to announcer at desk in farmyard. He is fondly holding a small pig.

Another of my faves, from the Election Night Special episode:

A large number of candidates in Harpenden Town Hall.

Voice Over: Hello, from Harpenden. This is a key seat because in addition to the official Silly candidate there is an independent Very Silly candidate (in large cube of polystyrene with only legs sticking out) who may split the silly vote.

Officer: Mrs Elsie Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... (obvious man in drag with enormous joke breasts)

Voice Over: Silly.

Officer: 26,317... James Walker...

Voice Over: Sensible.

Officer: 26,318.

Voice Over: That was close.

Officer: Malcolm Peter Brian Telescope Adrian Umbrella Stand Jasper Wednesday (pops mouth twice) Stoatgobbler John Raw Vegetable (sound effect of horse whinnying) Arthur Norman Michael (blows squeker) Featherstone Smith (blows whistle) Northgot Edwards Harris (fires pistol, which goes 'whoop') Mason (chuff-chuff-chuff) Frampton Jones Fruitbat Gilbert (sings) 'We'll keep a welcome in the' (three shots, stops singing) Williams If I Could Walk That Way Jenkin (squeker) Tiger-draws Pratt Thompson (sings) 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' Darcy Carter (horn) Pussycat 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' Barton Mannering (hoot, 'whoop') Smith.

Voice Over: Very Silly.

Officer: Two.

Voice Over: Well there you have it. A Sensible gain at Driffield.

Back to the studio.

Â