Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

29 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It will make a difference because the players will sense the weird atmosphere. They might want to win but if/when they fall behind they certainly won’t feel the same push to get back in the game.

Also after Ange basically said he wants to replace the entire team over the next few years after Chelsea I very much doubt those players he didn’t buy are going to push themselves to get champions league football for him. 

He's not going to replace the whole team so players will want to prove themselves. 

Yes the atmosphere might be different but I think the idea the fans aren't fully in for it means they can't get anything from the game is mad to me. 

Posted (edited)

Spurs will get absolutely battered. Anyone who watched them get ripped apart by Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle can see exactly what Man City, fighting to win the league, will do to them with Skipp at left back and with Ange utterly incapable of even flexing his sole tactic by 1 percent. 

And then add on that at least 50 percent of their fans would be quite  happy for them to lose so that Arsenal can’t win the title. 

Edited by DakotaVilla

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's not going to replace the whole team so players will want to prove themselves. 

Yes the atmosphere might be different but I think the idea the fans aren't fully in for it means they can't get anything from the game is mad to me. 

Ange specifically said after the Chelsea game that you only have to look at Arsenal and Liverpool to see how drastically their squads changed within two years when speaking about their plans for the summer. The very clear - and incredibly naive - message to his players was that nearly all of them will be sold and replaced because they’re not good enough to play this mythical “Ange ball”. He’s more than likely to be sacked by the end of next season if he doesn’t very quickly realise  that you need more than one tactic in this league. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, omariqy said:

I’m gonna enjoy it regardless. I’ve been a bit drained by it all but after watching the boys on Thursday give it their all, I’m super proud of them and have belief in them. They need us, no doubt. Even if we get Europa, it’s ok for me. A competition we can actually win.

Yeah I agree, proud no matter what!

I think for me there’s a bit of a perspective/relative thing where we’ve been 4th for ages so getting CL feels so tantalisingly close, that Europa would feel a little like we’ve missed out, whereas say we were 6th for ages and suddenly got 5th Europa would feel like a huge, huge win… 

CL is the promised land that’s been out of reach for 30 years… making it would be like some weird dream. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Ange specifically said after the Chelsea game that you only have to look at Arsenal and Liverpool to see how drastically their squads changed within two years when speaking about their plans for the summer. The very clear - and incredibly naive - message to his players was that nearly all of them will be sold and replaced because they’re not good enough to play this mythical “Ange ball”. He’s more than likely to be sacked by the end of next season if he doesn’t very quickly realise  that you need more than one tactic in this league. 

You’re discussing this with someone that is clearly ignoring all the evidence to suggest City will destroy Spurs to some how cling on to the minute possibility Spurs will win.

Also agree with your post and said the same. As soon as a manager starts blaming the players it means they are out of their depth. Especially when they already have quite a decent expensively assembled squad.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It’s actually insane how quickly it’s gone from “Ange is the messiah” to people beginning to realise how stubborn he is and how badly he’s out of his depth tactically.

They have a punchers chance against City. It would basically need to be a similar game to us v Olympiakos in the first leg where absolutely everything would have to go for spurs and everything would have to go against Man City.

I think Manchester City are more likely than not to beat Spurs, but it's obviously not a 'minute' chance

Spurs have actually only lost one of their last five at home to City in the league, and they've won three of those games

if we lose to Livepool, which is of course possible, then that could give Spurs a massive lift going into the City game, knowing a win would take it to the last day of the season

I don't take it for granted that City will beat them, just as I didn't take it for granted that Spurs would beat Fulham and West Ham

11 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

More nervous about a Spurs game than a Villa game? 

And why are so many people calling Liverpool "Pool" all of a sudden.

Its like "peno" or "citeh". Nails on a chalkboard.

Personally I don't think Villa will get a result against Liverpool (full title for you), and I'll be there, so not particularly nervous. ( Having said that, that may go out of the window when the game starts). 

I find watching games on TV (99% Villa), that i'm invested in, much more nervous, I know we don't have any control even when we are at the game, but it feels worse on TV.

I think people abbreviate/ alter names either because they can't be bothered typing or as a sign of dismissal, eg Spuds, Citeh, Small Heath. 

Now, posters who put capital letters in the middle of words....that's another thing. 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think spurs will probably lose but people are talking like it's insane they could get a point. 

Like this sort of thing can't happen in football. 

When we went to play arsenal the evidence suggested they'd beat us but they didn't. This is football things can happen that aren't expected to happen. 

The idea that a 5th placed team are not able to get a draw at home to city seems a bit crazy to me. 

Ok fair enough but you previously posted that you think we will miss out on 4th which indirectly means you think Spurs will get a result at City. To think that is pretty crazy to most.

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Personally I don't think Villa will get a result against Liverpool (full title for you), and I'll be there, so not particularly nervous. ( Having said that, that may go out of the window when the game starts). 

I find watching games on TV (99% Villa), that i'm invested in, much more nervous, I know we don't have any control even when we are at the game, but it feels worse on TV.

I think people abbreviate/ alter names either because they can't be bothered typing or as a sign of dismissal, eg Spuds, Citeh, Small Heath. 

Now, posters who put capital letters in the middle of words....that's another thing. 😉

This is so true. Wonder why that is?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As I said earlier in the thread, Spurs win over Burnley didn't move the needle much in terms of odds. We've been around 1.08 on betfair consistently for a while. I've layed us for top 4 multiple times and have managed to get matched at 1.08 before last weekends fixtures (so before Brighton / Liverpool games) then at 1.08 after those games and then again yesterday after Spurs Burnley. 

If we lose by one goal to Liverpool. We'll be 7 goals clear in GD meaning a draw for Spurs against City makes it highly unlikely they will turn around the goal difference of 7 on final day. I'd say in that event our odds are like 1.04 or lower on the final day. 

So for Spurs to get 4th, they'd need to beat City, Beat Sheffield United and Villa lose to Palace. That would be be about a 13/1 treble in odds. So I think if we lose by a goal on Monday our odds will go to 1.08 or 1.09 maybe. 

If we draw with Liverpool, Spurs need to beat city and Sheffield and have us lose to Palace which is about 21/1 chance of happening. So Our odds would drop to 1.05 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Manchester City are more likely than not to beat Spurs, but it's obviously not a 'minute' chance

Spurs have actually only lost one of their last five at home to City in the league, and they've won three of those games

if we lose to Livepool, which is of course possible, then that could give Spurs a massive lift going into the City game, knowing a win would take it to the last day of the season

I don't take it for granted that City will beat them, just as I didn't take it for granted that Spurs would beat Fulham and West Ham

It obviously is a minute chance in my opinion. Pep’s City don’t throw away league titles with 2 games to go.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok fair enough but you previously posted that you think we will miss out on 4th which indirectly means you think Spurs will get a result at City. To think that is pretty crazy to most.

I think they are capable of getting a draw. That's not that crazy. 

With our two games I think our goal difference could also take a big hit. 

Fingers crossed we don't but I am concerned. I don't think we've got anything left in the tank and we are playing a Liverpool team who could potentially put a few past us and a team in palace who are absolutely flying. 

This is not a criticism of us. I can completely understand why we've run out of steam. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It obviously is a minute chance in my opinion. Pep’s City don’t throw away league titles with 2 games to go.

I don't know how much Arsenal vs United today will have an impact. City knowing they have a back up if they lose to Spurs or City knowing they can win it there and then over Spurs and slight reduced pressure means they play even better

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't know how much Arsenal vs United today will have an impact. City knowing they have a back up if they lose to Spurs or City knowing they can win it there and then over Spurs and slight reduced pressure means they play even better

Don’t think it should matter too much either way. This City team going out to beat everyone at the moment.  I think the last time they lost a game in 90 minutes was at Villa Park.

Would be quite a shock if United got anything today though.

56 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

They have a punchers chance against City. It would basically need to be a similar game to us v Olympiakos in the first leg where absolutely everything would have to go for spurs and everything would have to go against Man City.

I mean, that's pretty much how Spurs' game vs Man City earlier in the season went: Got battered for 90 minutes but managed to score three goals from 4 shots on target and an xG of 0.4 for the whole game. Because Angeball is so high risk/reward they will go for it on Tuesday and the result will probably come down to how many chances City miss/Vicario saves/Van de Ven is able to sprint back and stop.

4 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I mean, that's pretty much how Spurs' game vs Man City earlier in the season went: Got battered for 90 minutes but managed to score three goals from 4 shots on target and an xG of 0.4 for the whole game. Because Angeball is so high risk/reward they will go for it on Tuesday and the result will probably come down to how many chances City miss/Vicario saves/Van de Ven is able to sprint back and stop.

They won’t even fully go for it v city. And they have Skipp at left back and this is now the real Man city hunting down the league. A totally different proposition to what spurs faced at man city earlier this season.

But yes, of course they have a chance.

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t think it should matter too much either way. This City team going out to beat everyone at the moment.  I think the last time they lost a game in 90 minutes was at Villa Park.

Would be quite a shock if United got anything today though.

Shit you're right, they lost back to back games end of Sept and beginning of October to Wolves 2-1 and Arsenal 1-0. Then to us in inspired form at start of Dec. 33 game unbeaten since in all competitions