Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

35 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Saying we’re not ready for the champions league so it’s not a bad thing if we don’t qualify is a bit like me deciding that, actually I shouldn’t go on a date with Jennifer Lawrence this weekend because I haven’t quite toned up enough yet, can we make it a couple of months from now, Jen?

I had friends say the same thing when we were in the championship, we'd have been there for years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

With the season we've had, contending with the additional games on a Thursday night, then Sunday, with a relatively small squad, anyone complaining about finishing 5th is an absolute donut. We've beaten everybody above us this season bar Liverpool, and still have the home game to play to possibly put that right. Gone on our longest ever home winning run. Into the QF of a European compo, have had serious injuries in key areas to several players and still with a shout of finishing 4th with 6 to go. Some people seem to forget where we were the beginning of last season. 

What Unai and the players have achieved this season is nothing short of remarkable imo. 

I enjoy this post.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They got the draw at Man. City without all of Maddison, the CBs and a few others. That was in December and a week after we'd gone down there and won and in Spurs poorest part of the season as they lost four other games they played around that time.

Their style unsettles Man. City most times they play them home or away so while you'd expect Man. City to win to keep up the title challenge I don't think it's a guarantee at all.

The previous results against these clubs have no real bearing on future fixtures (are we going to beat Arsenal?).  Spurs game with City is likely to be scheduled between their games with Burnley and Sheff Utd, so will depend if City are still in the title race or not.  

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

With the season we've had, contending with the additional games on a Thursday night, then Sunday, with a relatively small squad, anyone complaining about finishing 5th is an absolute donut. We've beaten everybody above us this season bar Liverpool, and still have the home game to play to possibly put that right. Gone on our longest ever home winning run. Into the QF of a European compo, have had serious injuries in key areas to several players and still with a shout of finishing 4th with 6 to go. Some people seem to forget where we were the beginning of last season. 

What Unai and the players have achieved this season is nothing short of remarkable imo. 

This is fine but we are still allowed to call out an unnecesarry capitulation at home against Brentford when we are 2 goals up.

It's absolutely shocking and Unai has to sort out our players stop playing whenever it get's "too" comfortable

Edited by Pinebro

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

This is fine but we are still allowed to call out an unnecesarry capitulation at home against Brentford when we are 2 goals up.

What's done is now done.... Nobody would've been happy at the time, but I suggest people get over it and move on. Shit happens, it's not the end of the world and our season hasn't been defined by Saturdays result. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What's done is now done.... Nobody would've been happy at the time, but I suggest people get over it and move on. Shit happens, it's not the end of the world and our season hasn't been defined by Saturdays result. 

Not the end of the world but the problem isn't going away be ignoring it.

Players getting complacent after a 2 goal lead needs to be adressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I still think we can get to 70 points

Arsenal - L
Bournemouth - W
Chelsea - D
Brighton - W
Liverpool - L
Palace - W

If we do then it's up to Spurs to match it.

Show that prediction to some people and they'll still think Manure can finish ahead of us

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I guess this happens with every team but because we watch Villa week in week out probably notice it more but once Villa concede a goal all of a sudden it's like they forget how to play football for five minutes and all of a sudden we concede another. 

2-0 up away at Man Utd you could just sense before it happened that Villa were going to lose 3-2 and could see it coming against Brentford once they scored that they were going to come back. 

Having to change the defence every week and missing our only defensive midfielder is unfortunately going to cost us in some games. The warning signs were there against Luton and Forest, can't keep getting away with it. 

It might very well be that the last few games have little meaning, other than overtaking spurs. That is the only game in town now, although could be a very much irrelevant one. 

The club should get ready for Madrid coming to VP next year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It might very well be that the last few games have little meaning, other than overtaking spurs. That is the only game in town now, although could be a very much irrelevant one. 

The club should get ready for Madrid coming to VP next year. 

When is the point we'll know pretty well that England have 5th CL place secured?

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

When is the point we'll know pretty well that England have 5th CL place secured?

Probably by Thursday night of next week.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think it could be more or less certain after this round of European fixtures. 

33 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It’s really not. 

It reminds me of the same thing when our “away form” was the problem. 

It’s not really the problem. 

And similarly, I still believe we’re top in the league at NOT dropping points when ahead even after the Brentford result. 

• Like 1

Just now, DJBOB said:

Still top of the league and keeping the lead after this weekend’s results. 

Man U and Brentford alone would be 5 points? 

Man U loss (3 points) and Brentford draw (2 points). Unless the table considers we gained a point against Brentford as we were behind? 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Man U and Brentford alone would be 5 points? 

Man U loss (3 points) and Brentford draw (2 points). Unless the table considers we gained a point against Brentford as we were behind? 

This table was from last week. But the Brentford draw would bring us to 5 dropped points. But the Liverpool draw would bring them to 6.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Absolutely right. No matter what happens now, this is one of the best seasons we have had in years. It's certainly the best season I've had in my time as a supporter so far. The media has been so quiet on it, but to do what we have done with the injuries we have had? Remarkable. This manager and this group of players make me belive that we can and will re-establish ourselves as one of football's big boys. I will be forever grateful to everyone involved with this season because I have felt such a strong sense of pride and connection to our club this year. It's been a great feeling knowing that, no matter what kind of week I'm having, there's always a solid chance that the team will play well and get a result.

• Like 1

Our recent form feels like how Arsenal stumbled at the end of last season.  Think it's just just growing pains and we'll be stronger for it next season - as Arsenal seem to have matured this season.

Will be more than happy with 5th place - hopefully it will come with UCL qualification.

• Like 1