Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

5 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Two legs which reduces the margin for an upset. The gap in quality in the resources between these sides can be vast and upsets are definitely not the norm.

Upsets, but the very definition, are not the norm. 

But over the last few years a number of seeded sides have failed to make the QR3. I'm sure i read that one seeded side had dropped out every year,  but might be making that last stat up. 

There is very much hope for us yet.

35 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Upsets, but the very definition, are not the norm. 

But over the last few years a number of seeded sides have failed to make the QR3. I'm sure i read that one seeded side had dropped out every year,  but might be making that last stat up. 

There is very much hope for us yet.

2 seeded teams  didn't make it out of the second round last year, but it was different as West Ham for instance had a lower coefficient than we do currently and yet were comfortably in the middle of the seeded section last season. So you had a few weaker seeded teams.

This year, the competition is a good deal tougher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ceemo said:

2 seeded teams  didn't make it out of the second round last year, but it was different as West Ham for instance had a lower coefficient than we do currently and yet were comfortably in the middle of the seeded section last season. So you had a few weaker seeded teams.

This year, the competition is a good deal tougher.

Well you know how to piss on my parade don't you. Damn facts getting in the way of history.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If Bilbao enter is their coefficient higher?

That was the one thing that I wasn’t sure about, but after some Googling I think that by the fact Osasuna *should* be in there instead of them that their coefficient should be higher than Bilbao (because same league, higher position finish)… but I’m sort of guessing

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If Bilbao enter is their coefficient higher?

No, its the same as Osasuna's - they haven't been in Europe for a while so take the country coefficient in the same way we have (and Newcastle).

If UEFA kicked us out and replaced us with Brentford, they'd take 21.914, whereas Spurs' would be higher as they've competed in European competition recently and inherited points to go on top of that base number 

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Juve getting out of UECL would be great for us, getting seeded and the biggest threat getting out of the way. Hopefully they’re out soon.

Actually by having that, and if hopefully Osasuna staying rather Bilbao coming, it would be great for us. We want it as easy as possible. We still have Lille, Frankfurt, Fenerbache…etc. I know we shall be favorites, but there is no place for mistakes, also the easier it gets the helpful will be in our squad rotation. 

3 hours ago, Rich192 said:

https://football-italia.net/uefa-drop-potential-hint-of-juventus-exclusion/

Would expect a decision on this one way or the other very soon. Original talk was 2-3 years ban, however Juventus recently agreed to leave the Super League, so I’ve a feeling they did that and negotiated a one year ban. If this happens, we would be seeded. 

Fiorentina would be below us then?

I'm not sure I follow the logic of it being a hint anyway. They are there, they're just in the wrong place, showing in QR2 page. 

Edit: they've corrected it also, now showing in the right place:

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Fiorentina would be below us then?

I'm not sure I follow the logic of it being a hint anyway. They are there, they're just in the wrong place, showing in QR2 page. 

Our helpful friend explains all. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

Our helpful friend explains all. 

I imagine uefa would be happy about this. 

Not blowing our own trumpet too much, but the risk of us knocking out one of the higher seeds would be one they'd be happy to avoid (without restoring to draw tampering).

Also means a PL team definitely in the tournament. 

Would they be inclined to accept just a one year hiatus on exchange for all the dodgy things Juve have done though?

20 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I imagine uefa would be happy about this. 

Not blowing our own trumpet too much, but the risk of us knocking out one of the higher seeds would be one they'd be happy to avoid (without restoring to draw tampering).

Also means a PL team definitely in the tournament. 

Would they be inclined to accept just a one year hiatus on exchange for all the dodgy things Juve have done though?

I'd imagine Juventus will also be happy with this, as can't imagine they want to play in it.

• Like 1

Yeah, Juventus don’t want to be in this competition (similar to Spurs), and this would be a ‘fair’ compromise all round. They were looking likely to get a 3 year ban, but promising to leave the Super League and accepting missing out on just this 1 year seems to be a good result for UEFA, as it just leaves Barca and Real Madrid left.