The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

4 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Not convinced by Arteta or Arsenal, wouldn't be surprised to see them struggle for top 4 if it wasn't for how average Chelsea, Utd and Spurs look right now.

I'm not sure how you can possibly say that after last season. And they are strengthening.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I'm not sure how you can possibly say that after last season. And they are strengthening.

I think Rice improves them hugely despite the view of him being overrated by many, I just don't think they were overly convincing last season, and they outperformed their expected points by 10+ points too. Their fall away was no disgrace, but also no surprise and most could see it coming.

I think they'll be in around the top 4 again, but after such huge spending, huge fan expectation and still a very inexperienced manager it wouldn't surprise me to see them struggle in relation to fan expectation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Will be interesting to see make up of Arsenal midfield now.

I'm guessing Rice-Havertz-Odegaard?!

Rice's big strength is his positioning out of possession and he's going to need all of that knowledge when they go to Anfield and Man. City as looks a very easy midfield to cut through.

Amusing everyone was saying he should be played as an 8, 0% of that happening at Arsenal this season given they're selling Partey aswell.

I predict Arteta will be sacked this season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Got Champions League and also maybe a hangover from bottling the league last season

9 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

A lot of posters on this board wrote off Arteta a long time ago(like me) and can't go back now. So we will just pretend Arteta has done a brilliant job in most aspects of running a football club and turning around the entire culture.

Rice FWIW is overpriced but a brilliant signing.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Got Champions League and also maybe a hangover from bottling the league last season

That's why they paid that amount of money for Rice. Anything less than winning the lesgue next season is failure imo.  Think it's between them and Man city winning it. 

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That's why they paid that amount of money for Rice. Anything less than winning the lesgue next season is failure imo.  Think it's between them and Man city winning it. 

I think man City will piss it

Not sure that should be considered a failure for arsenal though, needs putting in the context of what man City are

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think man City will piss it

Not sure that should be considered a failure for arsenal though, needs putting in the context of what man City are

Maybe but they have bought Rice to strengthen the spine which is a thing that let them down towards the end of last season.  Top 4 is not enough anymore. They have spent big and will expect to challenge City. 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

A lot of posters on this board wrote off Arteta a long time ago(like me) and can't go back now. So we will just pretend Arteta has done a brilliant job in most aspects of running a football club and turning around the entire culture.

Rice FWIW is overpriced but a brilliant signing.

What exactly has Arteta done other than blow a 10 point lead to finish 2nd and finish 7th and 8th in 2 other seasons?

I wouldn't be swapping him for Emerry that's for sure.

He has got very lucky with the likes of Odegaard, Saka and Martinelli coming through.

Still not convinced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

What exactly has Arteta done other than blow a 10 point lead to finish 2nd and finish 7th and 8th in 2 other seasons?

I wouldn't be swapping him for Emerry that's for sure.

He has got very lucky with the likes of Odegaard, Saka and Martinelli coming through.

Still not convinced.

He signed Odegaard and made him captain.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He signed Odegaard and made him captain.

Ah yes. I stand corrected on that one but my point stands regarding his achievements, or lack of. Didn't he also sign Partey and Pepe?

Anyway, I doubt very much they will ve within 10 points of Man City, whoever they sign.

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ah yes. I stand corrected on that one but my point stands regarding his achievements, or lack of. Didn't he also sign Partey and Pepe?

Anyway, I doubt very much they will ve within 10 points of Man City, whoever they sign.

No.

57 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe but they have bought Rice to strengthen the spine which is a thing that let them down towards the end of last season.  Top 4 is not enough anymore. They have spent big and will expect to challenge City. 

They might

But their spending in comparison to city's still isn't enough

They're now something like an £800m team being expected to compete with a £2bn team

Arsenal fans should just relax, take it for what it is and hope they win a cup while being in the title race for a bit of next season, that's a good year still

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They might

But their spending in comparison to city's still isn't enough

They're now something like an £800m team being expected to compete with a £2bn team

Arsenal fans should just relax, take it for what it is and hope they win a cup while being in the title race for a bit of next season, that's a good year still

Yep. Apart from the bizarre covid season when Liverpool won the league, Man City have won it every year for ages and will continue to do until Newcastile get up to speed with dodging FFP amd making ludicrously expensive signings.  There is no title race and Arsenal signing Rice for double his value isn't going to change that.