Weekends Football 21/23 April

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Mahrez has to be the most underrated player in the City squad hasn’t he? 

silva for me, he's brilliant on his day but doesnt get the stats, dias is quietly one of the best CBs in the world too (as he should be for that money...)

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

FA Cup semi final day used to be a highlight of the season. I didn't even know who was in it this year. Is it me or has it lost its appeal?

moving it to the cash cow ruined it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

FA Cup semi final day used to be a highlight of the season. I didn't even know who was in it this year. Is it me or has it lost its appeal?

15 years of playing SF at Wembley. That's where the decline started.

Brighton-Man. United will be a good one tomorrow at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

15 years of playing SF at Wembley. That's where the decline started.

Brighton-Man. United will be a good one tomorrow at least.

utd will fill it with their national support but otherwise that would be the same, 4.30pm on a sunday at wembley, no one wants that, even the london based utd fans dont want that, wouldnt be surprised if its an absolute bastard for brighton fans to get home too

Just now, villa4europe said:

utd will fill it with their national support but otherwise that would be the same, 4.30pm on a sunday at wembley, no one wants that, even the london based utd fans dont want that, wouldnt be surprised if its an absolute bastard for brighton fans to get home too

It's always been like that though. Pretty sure we played the Liverpool SF at Old Trafford at a similar time in the mid 90s.

Brighton will sell out no problem.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's always been like that though. Pretty sure we played the Liverpool SF at Old Trafford at a similar time in the mid 90s.

Brighton will sell out no problem.

Old Trafford doesn't have the logistics problems of Wembley though, hardly any football stadiums do, it's a terrible ground to get to and even worse to get away from

• Like 1

Old Trafford doesn't have the logistics problems of Wembley though, hardly any football stadiums do, it's a terrible ground to get to and even worse to get away from

Only time I've ever been was to watch Walsall play in the painpot trophy or whatever it was called at the time. Was a 70k crowd as Bristol City took 40k or near enough.

Left about 5 minutes after final whistle, went back to Wembley Park tube and was back at Baker Street within twenty minutes.

Quick tip to get back to Midlands is walk to North Wembley and then get the Overground train back to Watford Junction. You should then miss all the congestion at Euston if you time it right.

Just taking the coach there and back and yes it will be a bottleneck trying to get in and out given what a nightmare the North Circular is on on non-matchdays at peak times.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Only time I've ever been was to watch Walsall play in the painpot trophy or whatever it was called at the time. Was a 70k crowd as Bristol City took 40k or near enough.

Left about 5 minutes after final whistle, went back to Wembley Park tube and was back at Baker Street within twenty minutes.

Quick tip to get back to Midlands is walk to North Wembley and then get the Overground train back to Watford Junction. You should then miss all the congestion at Euston if you time it right.

Just taking the coach there and back and yes it will be a bottleneck trying to get in and out given what a nightmare the North Circular is on on non-matchdays at peak times.

I've been 5 times with villa and 4 for the NFL

I **** hate the place, the only time I didn't see trouble with villa was the Liverpool game, the only time I've got away without a fuss was an NFL game that was over by HT so I left very early 

I've been 5 times with villa and 4 for the NFL

I **** hate the place, the only time I didn't see trouble with villa was the Liverpool game, the only time I've got away without a fuss was an NFL game that was over by HT so I left very early 

Do they make it an all day thing for NFL like they do in America with barbecues in the carpark etc? Got a mate who flies over 2-3 times a season to watch whoever his team is (think it's Seattle) and he loves all that as it's a proper event and of course means crowd arrival is staggered.

That's a concept that's never really caught on here despite catering more to hospitality audience with the stand rebuilds. Plenty of people still like piling in 15 minutes before kick off and then straight off after the match (unless we actually win at Wembley).

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Do they make it an all day thing for NFL like they do in America with barbecues in the carpark etc? Got a mate who flies over 2-3 times a season to watch whoever his team is (think it's Seattle) and he loves all that as it's a proper event and of course means crowd arrival is staggered.

That's a concept that's never really caught on here despite catering more to hospitality audience with the stand rebuilds. Plenty of people still like piling in 15 minutes before kick off and then straight off after the match (unless we actually win at Wembley).

They started to, first game I did it was definitley there, then I think they dropped it to some games and now I'm not sure

It was an OK thing, not quite what I think the NFL do in that it wasn't fan organised, it was vendors and quite expensive and then like merch stands and some exhibition stuff from the sky sports presenters

Basically a fan park rather than a tailgate... But I still think that's the future of football, wish villa did it, would rather villa set up some German Market style wooden huts around the holte car park and sold me a beer and a burger rather than 2 hours in whichever pub a mile down the road and a trip to a burger van, if they get it right villa live could be amazing

The crowd is staggered though, think out of the 4 games I've seen only one wasn't a blow out, people start leaving with like an hour left so it's all about timing

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

West Brom are so boring 

Didn't need the rest,they're boring full stop. Team, fans, area.

• Haha 2

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

Whatever happened to the bright snow ball in football? How the hell do they even see it in those conditions. 

They didn't. Game was abandoned and will resume tomorrow.

As much as I hate the plastic pitches that have become the rule rather than exception in Swedish football there are some places where it should be allowed.

Newcastle play a similar sort of style to us with a box midfield, one up front and a wandering support forward, one full back getting forward and one holding - so it'll be very interesting to see how they match up with Spurs 5-2-3 in advance of our game with Spurs in a few weeks time.

We could do with a convincing Newcastle win that makes Spurs look bamboozled and ineffective.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Newcastle play a similar sort of style to us with a box midfield, one up front and a wandering support forward, one full back getting forward and one holding - so it'll be very interesting to see how they match up with Spurs 5-2-3 in advance of our game with Spurs in a few weeks time.

We could do with a convincing Newcastle win that makes Spurs look bamboozled and ineffective.

Spurs playing a 4-3-3 today, Hoijberg, Skipp and Sarr all starting for them in central midfield (unless Hoijberg is starting in their back 3).

Think this might be a draw actually.

Â