Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I agree but not if Unai actually wants him… hard to tell what is and isn’t BS these days…

Maybe he sees a lot of potential and development in him… a player he can work with and work on 🤷‍♂️ 

Unai's good.....but he can't polish a turd. Tavares is absolute pony.

1 minute ago, Dillon66 said:

Unai's good.....but he can't polish a turd. Tavares is absolute pony.

Not even sure if we’re interested… maybe an easy or obvious link to make…

If we sign him, I’ll endorse it anyway… he’s still young enough to improve.

But I don’t think LB is a priority right now anyway…

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Id love us to sign a left footed winger to balance the squad out. Diaby can play anywhere, but he can’t play everywhere.

It will give us options and excellent squad depth, especially when Ramsey returns.

Would still like a backup keeper who is much better than Olsen with his feet, but it’s not a priority.

Is this said in jest? All our wingers are left footed. Bailey, Traore, Diaby, Zaniolo.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Played majority LM on loan to Marseilles where he scored all his 6 goals and no assists. Arsenal lost Timber to ACL first game. Zinchenko coming back from injury, Gabriel benched and still can't get a run. Is he injured or not fancied?

Good question. But Martinez  waant fancied there either. Arteta is a strange one at times

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Twitter rumour mill saying Arse bidding £40m for Watkins, Liverpool £60m for Luiz.

Why do they think we bend over and accept that shit?

Last week they were suggesting that Liverpool would have to pay £40m for Luiz.  ****ing clueless.  If Liverpool are happy to bid £110m for a player with 1 decent season at Brighton why on earth do they think that we'd sell our most important midfield player (in terms of the way we play) for almost a third of that?

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Last week they were suggesting that Liverpool would have to pay £40m for Luiz.  ****ing clueless.  If Liverpool are happy to bid £110m for a player with 1 decent season at Brighton why on earth do they think that we'd sell our most important midfield player (in terms of the way we play) for almost a third of that?

Maybe there was a release clause inserted when he didn't go to arsenal. That's the only thing I can think of.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure Brennan is a great fit for us - he'd be back up to Diaby you'd have thought. He's a decent fit for Spurs though, they need to replace Son.

I agree, plus we already have Traoré there too who I could be happy to stick with for now.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Maybe there was a release clause inserted when he didn't go to arsenal. That's the only thing I can think of.

If there was a cheap clause surely someone would have activated it in June/July? Which makes me think there isn't one, or that's what I'm hoping anyway.

30 minutes ago, allani said:

If we sign someone to play on the left it will be almost certain that they will be right footed.  Our width will be provided by Moreno / Digne / LB.  Emery will want our "wide" left player to cut in and try and score goals rather than beat his man on the outside and whip in a cross.  This is how we line up on the right and also the way that Ramsey / Buendia played when they played in that position.

100% correct. Also has the adaptability to play a second striker too.

I hope Monchi has taken everything and the kitchen sink with him to get the deal over the line.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VillaJay said:

The issue with having too many players is also one we don't see as fans, it's the day to day at the training ground, the imbalance of the sessions and having to fit too many players in.

When Ramsay, Moreno, Donk are back the bench will look much stronger.

We do need 1 more attacking option and ideally a right back but I'm sure the club are working to the last minute, and most likely waiting for clubs to get replacements in etc.,

Yes Emery said he wants 2 players for each position plus a 3rd choice young keeper, so 23 players in total which is what we currently have (24 including Philogene). I don’t think Emery wants players for the sake of making up the numbers hence we’ve let players go and even on match days he hasn’t bothered naming a full subs bench on occasions.

I’d like to see some movement, a defensive reinforcement and maybe another attacker, but with the European squad restrictions we’re in a position where it needs to be 1 in 1 out, so if we want to make something happen there’s going to some spinning plates to manage which is going to be a difficult task with just a couple of days remaining. 

Edited by david-avfc

5 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Yes Emery said he wants 2 players for each position plus a 3rd choice young keeper, so 23 players in total which is what we currently have (24 including Philogene). I don’t think Emery wants players for the sake of making up the numbers hence we’ve let players go and even on match days he hasn’t bothered naming a full subs bench on occasions.

I’d like to see some movement, a defensive reinforcement and maybe another attacker, but with the European squad restrictions we’re in a position where it needs to be 1 in 1 out, so if we want to make something happen there’s going to some spinning plates to manage which is going to be a difficult task with just a couple of days remaining. 

This is why i don't think we sign anyone else

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Why the hell would i move diably from a position he is absolutely thriving under?? Diaby looks brilliant in his current position movong him would be madness!

Because Emery had said on countless occasions he wants tactical flexibility.  Cash as a winger yesterday? McGinn playing in several positions across the midfield?  

He has also stated that Diaby and Zaniolo offer him that.  I don’t think Emery has players in “set” positions, he wants options.  Get this idea of fixed positions gone, it’s legacy thinking. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

we are in a good place but 2 more quality additions would be the icing on the cake 

When you say quality additions I'm guessing you mean as in walk into the first team quality? I really just don't see it I think if it wasn't for the Mings and Emi B injury I'd say we were done and we aren't getting linked to anyone of real quality anyway, the bench has looked weak but with those coming back from injury we suddenley look so much stronger. 

44 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Twitter rumour mill saying Arse bidding £40m for Watkins, Liverpool £60m for Luiz.

Selling those two would kill our season and UE would be the next one through the out door, if it happened. These people just refuse to accept that we are no longer a selling club and the prices quoted would be ludicrous, even if we were. We should counter this rubbish by making bids of £40m for Saka and £60m for Salah, to see how they like it. :angry:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Already shared the comment but it’s been put online again today, Unai says there are 4 days left and we are ready for players leaving and joining…

Monchi will be relentless…

I don’t think anyone’s expecting more than a couple of signings but more would be welcome for sure, depends on who is leaving.

Once again, quality not quantity.

Despite the suggestions, there isn’t a single person here who wants signings for the sake of it - nor is there anyone at the club who wants that.

Unai will continue to elevate and strengthen this squad and team over time… we want to keep pushing, progressing and competing. No standing still or accepting mediocrity.

Jas I love your energy and commitment to this forum dude, but there is nothing in this post that most sensible people cannot see.

This is a different Villa, whereby Emery/Monchi are in lock step in what they want, not just buying for the sake of it! (I am not saying anything new here either! 😁)

Good times! 

44 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Unai is not that stupid! Besides £40m for Watkins that's laughable!