Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, villa89 said:

From any reputable source? Journo's just making it up or his agent trying to get him back to England could be two explanations. I don't see Emery being interested in him at all.

I think you’re right… but the “sentimentality” factor has swayed many into convincing themselves it was true…

Names and links thrown around left, right and centre… but his seemed to have attracted more attention.. for obvious reasons? An easy “link” or rumour to create and bring up… was alway going to attract attention…

Hardly any of the names, it seems, the club have actually made a move for…

Just ask @Kiwivillan He’s the expert on this 😂

I'm not saying I think we should sign Tammy considering the likely fee, injury, and him not being any kind of definite upgrade on Watkins, but people talk about sentimentality with him as if he's done nothing in his career outside of Villa. The guy has put up double figures in both the Premier League and Serie A - probably the best two leagues in Europe these days for overall quality - as well as scoring 20+ with us in the Championship. It's not like he's some unproven player that people just have an affinity for, he's done more than, say, Zaniolo who folk are generally excited to have signed.  I don't get it.

47 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’d rather we put faith in Duran than sign Tammy… 

But I’d rather we sign another top class attacker (probably a versatile one) and feel/believe we will at least try and make such a move…

After Championship with us he's gone on barren spells everywhere else. I think he had 7 in 8 games for Chelsea then didn't score again for ages

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

After Championship with us he's gone on barren spells everywhere else. I think he had 7 in 8 games for Chelsea then didn't score again for ages

Not even in Ollie’s class… and many think we need better…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not even in Ollie’s class… and many think we need better…

Watkins was 2nd most owned FWD in Fantasy PL +40% because price and expected to start every game and play big minutes and not be rotated. I think the wisdom of the masses is correct. Emery said a while back he's the main man. 

55 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’d rather we put faith in Duran than sign Tammy… 

But I’d rather we sign another top class attacker (probably a versatile one) and feel/believe we will at least try and make such a move…

Yeah I'd prefer a Torres player who can play excellent through center as a 9 like he did for City but also capable of playing second striker or wide. 

The versatility Emery wants in the squad also helps us have a smaller squad.

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I'm not saying I think we should sign Tammy considering the likely fee, injury, and him not being any kind of definite upgrade on Watkins, but people talk about sentimentality with him as if he's done nothing in his career outside of Villa. The guy has put up double figures in both the Premier League and Serie A - probably the best two leagues in Europe these days for overall quality - as well as scoring 20+ with us in the Championship. It's not like he's some unproven player that people just have an affinity for, he's done more than, say, Zaniolo who folk are generally excited to have signed.  I don't get it.

We wouldn’t get him on the sort of deal that we got for Zaniolo… and he doesn’t have the sort of quality, talent and potential as him. If we get Nico fit, firing and injury free… he’s going to be a major coup for us and could be a real star. But we have set up a deal to be as “risk averse” as possible it seems…

With Tammy, I think we would get fleeced on transfer fee and wages… I never said he has done “nothing”… he has shown he’s a decent CF and can score goals, decent height and strength too…

Again, we’re all going to have different views on him and that’s fine. We can agree to disagree respectfully. Serie A (sadly) is undoubtedly and considerably inferior to PL these days and you make fair points but we can’t discount the fact that in his most recent season he played 54 times and only scored 9 goals!

I’ve just never been convinced by him, not a fan of his “technique”, regularly scuffs shots and misses chances… not very cultured or easy on the eye in his play or style… just my view.

I genuinely see him as a downgrade on Ollie and, at least for the outlay, such a move would not make sense for me.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Yeah I'd prefer a Torres player who can play excellent through center as a 9 like he did for City but also capable of playing second striker or wide. 

The versatility Emery wants in the squad also helps us have a smaller squad.

This kind of signing makes more sense. Diaby is that player. He's more of a striker than Alvarez who is City main backup to Haaland but isn't a striker per se

33 minutes ago, villa89 said:

From any reputable source? Journo's just making it up or his agent trying to get him back to England could be two explanations. I don't see Emery being interested in him at all.

I heard it on a couple of podcasts who are normally reliable. 
For what it’s worth I didn’t want him, but I think Emery would want a central striker figure 

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We wouldn’t get him on the sort of deal that we got for Zaniolo… and he doesn’t have the sort of quality, talent and potential as him. If we get Nico fit, firing and injury free… he’s going to be a major coup for us and could be a real star. But we have set up a deal to be as “risk averse” as possible it seems…

With Tammy, I think we would get fleeced on transfer fee and wages… I never said he has done “nothing”… he has shown he’s a decent CF and can score goals, decent height and strength too…

Again, we’re all going to have different views on him and that’s fine. We can agree to disagree respectfully. Serie A (sadly) is undoubtedly and considerably inferior to PL these days and you make fair points but we can’t discount the fact that in his most recent season he played 54 times and only scored 9 goals!

I’ve just never been convinced by him, not a fan of his “technique”, regularly scuffs shots and misses chances… not very cultured or easy on the eye in his play or style… just my view.

I genuinely see him as a downgrade on Ollie and, at least for the outlay, such a move would not make sense for me.

I think "as if he's done nothing in his career outside of Villa" is along the same lines as he's "crap" and people only like the idea of signing him due to the sentimentality of what he did in the Championship to be fair man 😂 Like I said, it's a moot point with the injury anyway but I personally don't love the idea of signing him for the reasons stated. However some of the stick he gets is way over the top for me, he's shown himself to be capable of being at least a good striker at some of the highest levels of the game so I don't think it's fair to any folk that do or did like the idea of signing him to suggest they can't see past pure sentiment.

Edited by Indigo

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watkins was 2nd most owned FWD in Fantasy PL +40% because price and expected to start every game and play big minutes and not be rotated. I think the wisdom of the masses is correct. Emery said a while back he's the main man. 

But this is the crux. We don't have an alternative, and that's why we need to sign one. We can't expect Watkins to play 50+ games for 90 minutes.

For me, Tammy would have been a great signing. I think he and Watkins both have decent presence up front, which Emery seems to prefer to a fox in the box type (Archer/Ings) who might disappear a bit at times.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

If we are looking at a striker when Archer leaves, it will likely be an older player, maybe even someone 30+ to come in and be backup to Ollie.  Ollie is the main man and will start nearly all games when fit.

There is a guy at West Ham, Danny something. Comes in off the bench, strong, looks like solid back up for Ollie. Proven Premier League record. 

:trollface:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I think "as if he's done nothing in his career outside of Villa" is along the same lines as he's "crap" and people only like the idea of signing him due to the sentimentality of what he did in the Championship to be fair man 😂 Like I said, it's a moot point with the injury anyway but I personally don't love the idea of signing him for the reasons stated. However some of the stick he gets is way over the top for me, he's shown himself to be capable of being at least a good striker at some of the highest levels of the game so I don't think it's fair to any folk that do or did like the idea of signing him to suggest they can't see past pure sentiment.

“Crap” was a bit tongue in cheek.

As I said, you’re fully entitled to your view and opinion.

I’m just not a massive fan. Don’t mean to give him stick, he’s a likeable lad and endeared himself to us all in the Championship. It’s just my personal assessment of him… I don’t think he is anything resembling nor has the potential to be top class… I don’t think that’s incredibly harsh.

I didn’t say it was “all” sentiment, just that it plays a big part in people’s views…

Hey, who knows? Might be another player in the long line that Jose has fallen out with and we might pick him up on the cheap then… I won’t complain in that case.

I just think he’d be poor value otherwise and we could do a lot better…

Just now, duke313 said:

If we are looking at a striker when Archer leaves, it will likely be an older player, maybe even someone 30+ to come in and be backup to Ollie.  Ollie is the main man and will start nearly all games when fit.

Ings? I agree with the latter. We're not rotating strikers so how do you attract a big money striker?

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

But ok when likes of Salah and Kane et al do for other teams? 

Is that what their clubs wanted though? I imagine Liverpool buying so many forwards has helped rotate Salah a bit, even if it's just to sub him off during games. They do have other options. Spurs seem to have tried it themselves—they have Son and others too (like we have Diaby to be fair), and who knows, if Spurs had managed to rotate a bit they might have actually won something and not finished below us last season.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Is that what their clubs wanted though? I imagine Liverpool buying so many forwards has helped rotate Salah a bit, even if it's just to sub him off during games. They do have other options. Spurs seem to have tried it themselves—they have Son and others too (like we have Diaby to be fair), and who knows, if Spurs had managed to rotate a bit they might have actually won something and not finished below us last season.

Salah doesn't get rotated. He threw a hissy fit last week getting subbed on 77 mins or around that. He's been playing most games all comps for years because he's a competitive athlete. Liverpool keep signing people that don't work out. Nunez fallen out of favour. Liverpool keep spending huge money on players that don't pay off really. Food for thought

Edited by Kiwivillan