Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

You’d have to think that Unai has his two main players that he wanted us to land sooner rather than later. Torres was done once the transfer window opened properly around Europe and he was able to enjoy his wedding and honeymoon. Tielemans became an early possibility because of his contract situation. We certainly didn’t delay there. Maybe Diaby was one which we were hoping to have done by now, but ‘other’ factors are now at play, and quite frankly, causing havoc on football as we know it. 

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What makes you think future windows are going to be better? If anything they will be a continuation of this window and may even be worse as Saudi’s target younger players and more players in their prime.

I’m hoping, maybe unrealistically, that the reality of playing/living in Saudi will hit some of these early movers hard. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a mass exodus this time next year when people realise what they’re actually signing up to. You take a year of insane wages and then try to come back to a more established and liberal country. I don’t care what anyone says, Saudi is a barbaric state. Surely most reasonable footballers will see that once experienced up close and walk away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I’m hoping, maybe unrealistically, that the reality of playing/living in Saudi will hit some of these early movers hard. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a mass exodus this time next year when people realise what they’re actually signing up to. You take a year of insane wages and then try to come back to a more established and liberal country. I don’t care what anyone says, Saudi is a barbaric state. Surely most reasonable footballers will see that once experienced up close and walk away.

Nah, they'll live in enclosed areas for ex pats and won't be subject to most of the more stringent laws.

• Like 1

Just now, M_Afro said:

But they’ll be living in the more liberal Bahrain and only going to Saudi for games and I’m sure the lavish tax free lifestyle combined with being treated like superstars wherever they go….they won’t be seeing the normal Saudi that you refer to.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

IF he is waiting to choose between us or Saudi, there is a question mark against his ambition and his confidence in his own abilities.

Easy to say that from our perspective but we’re not the ones who have to choose between potentially forgoing tens of millions of pounds / euros to sign one way or the other

I hope he does choose us, better league, better international chances and at his age he’d still have the option of signing a mega contract in a Micky mouse league later on in his career if it still exists and he stays fit, but it would be more difficult to guarantee he could return to a top tier league later if he wastes 4 or 5 years in Saudi first - I hope that’s what his advisers are telling him anyway

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but if you think sit it out because this window is insane, I’m just saying future windows are likely to be the same worse so we just need to put on our big boy shoes and do the business we need to do, which I’m sure we are.  Sitting out makes no sense imo.

Yea, but I’m not sure how long this phase will last. I can’t imagine all global superstars wanting to go there, and even if they did, staying for the majority of their careers… 

The prices and the wages we are expected to pay now because of Saudi is insane. Europe removing FFP is probably going to be a start to overcome this change. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Yea, but I’m not sure how long this phase will last. I can’t imagine all global superstars wanting to go there, and even if they did, staying for the majority of their careers… 

The prices and the wages we are expected to pay now because of Saudi is insane. Europe removing FFP is probably going to be a start to overcome this change. 

Maybe that's the long-term aim of PIF.  It would allow them to sign who they want for Newcastle with no restrictions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But they’ll be living in the more liberal Bahrain and only going to Saudi for games and I’m sure the lavish tax free lifestyle combined with being treated like superstars wherever they go….they won’t be seeing the normal Saudi that you refer to.

Probably but we can live in hope. If a couple of high profile football players come out and condemn the experience in any way it could snowball. I don’t know how a father of a daughter could have anything to do with a state that treats women in the way that Saudi does.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have to admit. It would be very hard to turn that down.  Playing alongside Ronaldo too.

Diaby has a decision to make between us and Saudi, but so far we know we've agreed terms with him and that Saudi are still upping their offer to convince him.

All we're really waiting on is for the club's to agree a fee. Until then, Diabys agent won't declare a favourite either way. It helps his negotiation position .Its not Diabys fault that no club has reached an agreement with Leverkusen yet.

In years gone by we wouldn't even know about the background agreement of wages before a move as it'd have been 'tapping up'.

Don't stress out. We're in pole position and the noise generates clicks and engagement. That's all it is until a club agrees a fee.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Long overdue, no more loans please. We shouldn’t ask for too much, get them off the wage bill and make room for better players.

Farewell:

Keinan Davis available this summer. In other news, water is wet! 

In all seriousness I think Davis could have a decent championship career if he stays fit, he’s never going to be a 20 goal a season striker, more like 10 goals + helps the team in lots of other ways. Would be a useful pick up for someone. 

As for Hause I find it baffling that we renewed his contract when he was clearly surplus to requirements. Just a waste of time for all involved.

8 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Keinan Davis available this summer. In other news, water is wet! 

In all seriousness I think Davis could have a decent championship career if he stays fit, he’s never going to be a 20 goal a season striker, more like 10 goals + helps the team in lots of other ways. Would be a useful pick up for someone. 

As for Hause I find it baffling that we renewed his contract when he was clearly surplus to requirements. Just a waste of time for all involved.

We may have priced him out of a move with our demands and his last contract (wages).

Apparently, Watford had an obligation to buy if they got promoted - 15m.

I’d happily take 5.

Maybe one of the relegated teams could take and afford him…

Just now, villan95 said:

Has Reo-Coker got that Inter Milan move yet too? 😅

Don’t recall that one!

He was a lot shitter and lot more limited than anticipated when we signed him imo.

At least he had a scrap with MON 🤣