Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I've numbered your points so easy response

1) His current club are in the CL and have qualified for it every season he's been there. Same goes for his previous club. So he's always qualified for CL with his permanent clubs. Wanting to move to another club in CL doesn't say anything about his character.

2) His stats per 90 on FBref show he's a high quality player in his creative and goal scoring output. It's clear he's a quality player and if Emery wanted him I'm sure he would get the best out of him in our system.

3) Like all players they assess their options and often making decisions comes later in the window. Both in terms of the player and his club in accepting offers.

4) He doesn't fit into their current system, just because a club want to move a player on doesn't mean they are a bad player. Often they don't fit the system

3) 

I will do the same.

1) He has scraped double digits in 2 out of his last 5 seasons in terms of scoring......his last 2 seasons he has played  14 /16 games respectively......hardly major contributions to champions league status.

2) The prospect of UE getting the best out of him, is subjective, purely subjective....his time at Chelsea is questionable, are we now saying that's 2 clubs system don't suit him.....look I would take him ,but not for big money, sorry.

3) Thats true....but in the case of Tielemans he saw the project and bought it....it shows he is committed to making it work, he could so easily have defected to champions league football only, himself......I don't see the same mentailty in Felix.

4) If thats the case....They have spent 126 million Euros in finding out a player, possibly don't fit their system, to me that smacks of gross negligence of football due diligence....if that was mine or your money, we would say the same.

I accept your views as alternatives, but I don't buy them.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Don’t worry, he’s just not as keen on us either as you are to him…

That was the reason, I wrote it.....He can stay where he is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Don’t worry, he’s just not as keen on us either as you are to him…

Hang on, we got 16 more points than his team, who finished 12th and out of Europe. Lower tier. What a knob.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Hang on, we got 16 more points than his team, who finished 12th and out of Europe. Lower tier. What a knob.

maybe he is talking about a return to Chelsea 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It was always going to be difficult for us to get our top targets this summer. We will have to be patient. For once though, I totally trust us to make good decisions and if that means we wait, then that’s exactly what we should do.

Why? We finished in Europe. We have an elite manager. We have bundles of cash. It can hardly get much better in terms of acquisition leverage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Why? We finished in Europe. We have an elite manager. We have bundles of cash. It can hardly get much better in terms of acquisition leverage.

It doesn't matter how much money we have.....our job is to buy players at the cheapest possible price, that's business.

We will look predatorily at the status of other clubs, and see if they are short on funds......We are financially in a strong position, to capitalise, but that does not equate to taking a swashbuckling stance, like Chelsea do.

I am proud of the way, our people go about things.....watching like a spider to a fly...being patient.

There are many good players out there to be had, driven by clubs who have financial difficulties, or status, difficulties.....we are being strategic in our movements.

Newcastle, have the financial muscle of the PIF fund, but they too have to justify their moves, and act with prudence....not to mention FFP.

Many of us, including me, see it from purely a footballing point of view.....but there is a business point of view too, that many of us need to appreciate.

All in good time.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

It doesn't matter how much money we have.....our job is to buy players at the cheapest possible price, that's business.

We will look predatorily at the status of other clubs, and see if they are short on funds......We are financially in a strong position, to capitalise, but that does not equate to taking a swashbuckling stance, like Chelsea do.

I am proud of the way, our people go about things.....watching like a spider to a fly...being patient.

There are many good players out there to be had, driven by clubs who have financial difficulties, or status, difficulties.....we are being strategic in our movements.

Newcastle, have the financial muscle of the PIF fund, but they too have to justify their moves, and act with prudence....not to mention FFP.

Many of us, including me, see it from purely a footballing point of view.....but there is a business point of view too, that many of us need to appreciate.

All in good time.

You’re being very generous there… I think “haphazard” would be more apt 😆 “wreckless” maybe? 😆 or how about the “don’t give a shit and get away with everything” approach?

Yeah you’re right, we won’t aimlessly splash the cash and overspend. And we will try and exploit every situation that could be of benefit to us - it’s the name of the game, for better or worse.

But I think most of us understand that, we will always look for value where we think we can get it. I think some of us just have different opinions on players and rate them differently.

I’ve said it before but some players do need “unlocking” (and sometimes making an “opportunistic” move can be beneficial or even prove to be a masterstroke, depending on different factors) and that depends a lot on the right environment and coaching.

Scouting nowadays is a lot more than identifying talent - these people have to try and gain some insight into a players character and personality too and make judgements on whether they will integrate into our group or not - it’s absolutely crucial and a widely recognised element these days.

Many have learned from the “sins of the past” by now… JPA being one such example for us… you’ve got to help these players settle and integrate as well as possible. Support is essential. 

I think we have further improved in that aspect or capability with the appointment of Monchi, his and Unai’s experience and expertise is only going to help us… significantly so…

The easiest thing to say is that if Unai wants a player and believes he can get the best out of them, he should get that player as long as it’s financially viable and affordable. It’s really as simple as that but… then we have nothing to say or add 😆

We’re just speculating and trying to come up with suggestions, coming up with “dream scenarios” at times too… not a fat lot else we can do 🤣 Sometimes it’s just about having a bit of fun and being a fan…

I tell you who I’d love at the Villa… Federico Chiesa! What a player!

It’s not going to happen though 🤣

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You’re being very generous there… I think “haphazard” would be more apt 😆 “wreckless” maybe? 😆 or how about the “don’t give a shit and get away with everything” approach?

Yeah you’re right, we won’t aimlessly splash the cash and overspend. And we will try and exploit every situation that could be of benefit to us - it’s the name of the game, for better or worse.

But I think most of us understand that, we will always look for value where we think we can get it. I think some of us just have different opinions on players and rate them differently.

I’ve said it before but some players do need “unlocking” (and sometimes making an “opportunistic” move can be beneficial or even prove to be a masterstroke, depending on different factors) and that depends a lot on the right environment and coaching.

Scouting nowadays is a lot more than identifying talent - these people have to try and gain some insight into a players character and personality too and make judgements on whether they will integrate into our group or not - it’s absolutely crucial and a widely recognised element these days.

Many have learned from the “sins of the past” by now… JPA being one such example for us… you’ve got to help these players settle and integrate as well as possible. Support is essential. 

I think we have further improved in that aspect or capability with the appointment of Monchi, his and Unai’s experience and expertise is only going to help us… significantly so…

The easiest thing to say is that if Unai wants a player and believes he can get the best out of them, he should get that player as long as it’s financially viable and affordable. It’s really as simple as that but… then we have nothing to say or add 😆

We’re just speculating and trying to come up with suggestions, coming up with “dream scenarios” at times too… not a fat lot else we can do 🤣 Sometimes it’s just about having a bit of fun and being a fan…

I tell you who I’d love at the Villa… Federico Chiesa! What a player!

It’s not going to happen though 🤣

Yeah...me too

but just a thought to ponder....UE has transformed most of our players, beyond our dreams, but I am not so sure about Bailey......we cannot deduce he will transform every player, so we do have to be careful who we buy.

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

All in good time.

Fair enough, but that was not the point the OP was making. They said it was always going to be difficult to get our top targets, not that we might not, or should not be willing to splash the cash.

Different argument. Which we can have, but different argument.

To add sauce, we are punching for top 4, but 12 other sides have record transfer fees higher than our own. I know that money does not equal good players, but at some point you have to pay for top talent, particularly when you haven't done so in the past and have to catch up with the big boys. The right players, sure, but we're competing with some big spending whales now.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah...me too

but just a thought to ponder....UE has transformed most of our players, beyond our dreams, but I am not so sure about Bailey......we cannot deduce he will transform every player, so we do have to be careful who we buy.

Sure… you always have to be careful and measured in the market.

But, do you think we see even further improvements in our players next season? Including some of the maligned or often criticised ones? I mean, Unai hasn’t even had a full season, let alone a pre season, with us… he’s done amazing work but I think there’s a hell of a lot more in store…

Surrounding our players with better/more quality will help their games too…

I won’t lose faith in Buendia, for example, I feel there is much more to come. There are few players that possess his level of ability in the through ball and weight of pass. His ability to consistently play the CF in on goal can be exceptional…. but, I think he will really have to fight for a place in this side, and that’s just the way we want it for the lot of them.

I think Ollie will kick on even more too if he’s given the same faith… and a more consistent supply of chances…

I’m not really willing to write off any player that made some sort of contribution last season, that includes Bailey, even if they have frustrated us. It can be easy to write off players too quickly, see them thrive elsewhere then have a tinge of regret…

Some players will leave though, I’m quite sure of that. Or at least be relegated to the bench. We have a fair few cast offs to shift also…

Anyway, as always 🤣, Unai is the best judge.

Just leave it to him 🤣

Edited by Jas10

23 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fair enough, but that was not the point the OP was making. They said it was always going to be difficult to get our top targets, not that we might not, or should not be willing to splash the cash.

Different argument. Which we can have, but different argument.

To add sauce, we are punching for top 4, but 12 other sides have record transfer fees higher than our own. I know that money does not equal good players, but at some point you have to pay for top talent, particularly when you haven't done so in the past and have to catch up with the big boys. The right players, sure, but we're competing with some big spending whales now.

I think at some point, we will splash the cash, but while we can act with prudence, why not?

I was answering your alleged point of Europe, manager and cash so why not leverage....I think we are acting Savvy, in such early stages...so I don't see the different argument/ debate.

We have just compiled/ constructed a quailty midfield of kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey.....for less than the fee we received for Chuk.

If Brentford or Brighton had of done that it would be headlines.

My point is........... we are already doing remarkably well in our approach to transfers.....and I assume it will only get better.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sure… but do you think we see even further improvements in our players next season? Including some of the maligned or often criticised ones? I mean, Unai hasn’t been had a full season let alone a pre season with us… he’s done amazing work but  I think there’s a hell of a lot more in store…

Surrounding our players with better/more quality will help their games too…

I won’t lose faith in Buendia, for example, I feel there is much more to come. There are few players that possess his level of ability in the through ball and weight of pass. His ability to consistently play the CF in on goal can be exceptional…. but, I think he will really have to fight for a place in this side, and that’s just the way we want it for the lot of them.

I think Ollie will kick on even more too if he’s given the same faith… and a more consistent supply of chances…

I’m not really willing to write off any player that made some sort of contribution last season, that includes Bailey, even if they have frustrated us. It can be easy to write off players too quickly too, see them thrive elsewhere then have a tinge of regret too.

Some players will leave though, I’m quite sure of that. Or at least be relegated to the bench. We have a fair few cast offs to shift too…

Anyway, as always 🤣, Unai is the best judge.

Just leave it to him 🤣

Without a shadow of a doubt.......

I am not writing off anyone, as we have a small squad as it is......and after achieving 1.96PPG, its hard to criticise anyone.

I don't envisage anyone directly close the the main team, leaving and as you say, there is still time for Bailey to click in.

Leave it to the Maestro ,as you say.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think at some point, we will splash the cash, but while we can act with prudence, why not?

I was answering your alleged point of Europe, manager and cash so why not leverage....I think we are acting Savvy, in such early stages...so I don't see the different argument/ debate.

We have just compiled/ constructed a quailty midfield of kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey.....for  less than fee we received for Chuk.

If Brentford or Brighton had of done that it would be headlines.

My point is........... we are already doing remarkably well in our approach to transfers.....and I assume it will only get better.

Well to address that first point the key reason would be timing. If we get to a stage later in the window where we have not got the players we still very much need to build a deeper squad while being frugal, and we need to up the spend to get bods in, the best of those players will have gone to our rivals.

I'm not advocating spend for spending sake, quite the opposite. If we spend big out of desperation cos there are no top players to fill our needs, now that would be the failure. But if we spend big early on the right players, our main targets, that is how we kick on. 

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well to address that first point the key reason would be timing. If we get to a stage later in the window where we have not got the players we still very much need to build a deeper squad while being frugal, and we need to up the spend to get bods in, the best of those players will have gone to our rivals.

I'm not advocating spend for spending sake, quite the opposite. If we spend big out of desperation cos there are no top players to fill our needs, now that would be the failure. But if we spend big early on the right players, our main targets, that is how we kick on. 

I accept you point as a caveat....I guess timing does play a big part.

Its an opinion, I grant you that.....but I think to get free transfers early, is the ones to get over the line, we can spend big after.

To sign the likes of Tielemans and Kamara, you have to be quick out of the blocks......many clubs can sign "frees" ( wages permitting) not so many can sign 30mill players....I see it the other way round to you....but hey ho.

Just now, TRO said:

I accept you point as a caveat....I guess timing does play a big part.

Its an opinion, I grant you that.....but I think to get free transfers early, is the ones to get over the line, we can spend big after.

To sign the likes of Tielemans and Kamara, you have to be quick out of the blocks......many clubs can sign "frees" ( wages permitting) not so many can sign 30mill players....I see it the other way round to you....but hey ho.

Yeah, fair enough, I respect your pov. Different approaches, I guess. I trust Unai and the Monch to get s*** done in any case.

• Like 1