Konsa   Carlos   Mings  Moreno

Guendouzi. Kamara. Luiz. Mcginn

Watkins.  Neco Williams

Back up

New

Young/Kessler  Chambers Feeney. Tierney 

Kaden Young     Iregbun. Cebellos. Ramsey

Archer.       Reiss Nelson

I'd be looking to sell Bailey, Coutinho, Olssen, Digne, Cash and Donk and loan out Duran

I really don't understand why everyone is trying to get rid of Matty Cash? Unai seems to have no issue playing him and he has been a great player for us since his move here. His recent form hasn't been dreadful so I just don't get it? If we are looking to bring in a new right back I would think it was to replace Ashley Young, not Cash. If Konsa gets used more as a right back next season then Cash can compete with him and offer something different. In that case I would expect us to go for a new centre back (Pau Torres perhaps?)

Goalkeeper - not vital that we do anything but most would like a replacement back up for Olsen.

Defenders - not vital that we make any changes here but Digne, Young and Chambers are all players Unai will have to make a decision about.

Midfielders - our busiest area of business. Decisions to be made regarding Dendoncker and Iroegbunam. Are they in the squad next season? I think Unai wants more depth available here so extra quality players expected. I think questions will be asked over the futures of Coutinho, Bailey and Traore. Nakamba and Sanson will almost certainly be sold I would have thought? Replacing the pair of them with players who actually play in the squad would be massive! A new, rapid winger/ forward is also expected which may be bad news for one of the other three names I mentioned.

Forwards - not vital to make a new dedicated forward signing but perhaps expected. Archer has impressed greatly out on loan again and it would be nice to see him and Duran acting as back up but Unai might want someone who can play in that winger/forward role that can step right in to the first team.

Therefore I would expect our squad next season to look a bit like this:

Goalkeepers - Martinez, Olsen, Sinisalo

Defenders - Mings, Carlos, Konsa, Cash, Moreno, Digne, Young, Chambers

Midfielders - Kamara, Luiz, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam, McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey, Traore + 2 or 3 new first team players

Forwards - Watkins, Archer, Duran

Let's say that most of the highlighted players stay, minimising the changes in the squad and we bring in Guendouzi, Goncalves and Nico Williams. Just three new players and we lose Steer, Hause, Nakamba, Sanson, Davis and Wesley. I'd be happy with that and trust that team to fight for Europe next season. What do you think?

Edited by Monkeypuzzle
Spelling.
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Signing 6 new players and still starting Konsa at RB is not quite as bad as when Steve Bruce signed 11 players and brought Chris Samba on as a striker, but it's still negligent imo. 

Especially when you're apparently playing the Welsh RB as a striker as well. 

53 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Signing 6 new players and still starting Konsa at RB is not quite as bad as when Steve Bruce signed 11 players and brought Chris Samba on as a striker, but it's still negligent imo. 

Especially when you're apparently playing the Welsh RB as a striker as well. 

I'm making an assumption that Emery will want a defensive RB to act as a 3rd CB. Konsa would be perfect imo.

Im not sure cash is that player and he is a saleable asset.  

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Wan Bissaka to replace Ash. I can just see him  being perfect in this system . The yang on the right  to Morenos ying on the left 

He really is the perfect defensive RB for Emery.  One of the best 1v1 defenders in the Prem and will be available to sign this summer because he isn't great going forward and doesn't fit ten Hag's system.  

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Wan Bissaka to replace Ash. I can just see him  being perfect in this system . The yang on the right  to Morenos ying on the left 

Yeah he gets a bad rap but I never think he looks as bad for Man. United as everyone says he does.

As you say playing for us his job won't be to get endlessly into opposition half and whip in crosses (that's Moreno's job), it will just be to hold his shape and be strong on the 1 v 1s and that's his main strength so we could do worse although still think we'll go for someone like Foyth who did a great job for UE at Villareal, is still mid 20s and already has premier league experience.

7 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I really don't understand why everyone is trying to get rid of Matty Cash? Unai seems to have no issue playing him and he has been a great player for us since his move here. His recent form hasn't been dreadful so I just don't get it? If we are looking to bring in a new right back I would think it was to replace Ashley Young, not Cash. If Konsa gets used more as a right back next season then Cash can compete with him and offer something different. In that case I would expect us to go for a new centre back (Pau Torres perhaps?)

Goalkeeper - not vital that we do anything but most would like a replacement back up for Olsen.

Defenders - not vital that we make any changes here but Digne, Young and Chambers are all players Unai will have to make a decision about.

Midfielders - our busiest area of business. Decisions to be made regarding Dendoncker and Iroegbunam. Are they in the squad next season? I think Unai wants more depth available here so extra quality players expected. I think questions will be asked over the futures of Coutinho, Bailey and Traore. Nakamba and Sanson will almost certainly be sold I would have thought? Replacing the pair of them with players who actually play in the squad would be massive! A new, rapid winger/ forward is also expected which may be bad news for one of the other three names I mentioned.

Forwards - not vital to make a new dedicated forward signing but perhaps expected. Archer has impressed greatly out on loan again and it would be nice to see him and Duran acting as back up but Unai might want someone who can play in that winger/forward role that can step right in to the first team.

Therefore I would expect our squad next season to look a bit like this:

Goalkeepers - Martinez, Olsen, Sinisalo

Defenders - Mings, Carlos, Konsa, Cash, Moreno, Digne, Young, Chambers

Midfielders - Kamara, Luiz, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam, McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey, Traore + 2 or 3 new first team players

Forwards - Watkins, Archer, Duran

Let's say that most of the highlighted players stay, minimising the changes in the squad and we bring in Guendouzi, Goncalves and Nico Williams. Just three new players and we lose Steer, Hause, Nakamba, Sanson, Davis and Wesley. I'd be happy with that and trust that team to fight for Europe next season. What do you think?

IF we get into Europe, you don't do it without two top forwards, plus Unai has already said he is looking to strengthen in that area.  It's perhaps an additional 10 games (qualifying, group, knockouts), probably on a Thursday, so the depth needs to be there for the rotation. That goes for all positions tbf.

As a minimum I'd be expecting; a forward, a winger, a CM and at least one wing-back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I agree Cash was brilliant in the 'Emery RB' role before he got injured. He's more then capable. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

Now you are just making peoples names up aren’t you?  😉 I don’t most of these people nevermind picking them.  

I’d love to know how you know these people?  Do you watch loads of youth football? Watch loads of non-major leagues football? From YouTube clips, reviews or other social media stuff? Or even from computer games? I’d love to know because as I said yesterday I watch masses of football but somehow I miss many of these names that yourself and a few others suggest and I would like to enhance/improve my knowledge of these lesser known players generally because I’m sure I’m not efficient when I’m watching or looking at other players.  I generally only know some of these players after I look after you guys recommend them.  So any tips of how you see these players beforehand would be gratefully received.

Nothing ground breaking mate, would love to say I have the time to watch loads of footie, in truth I struggle to watch Villa games at times with two young sproglets to look after here. 

I’m just a bit of a statto really and have been researching players that I think would fit us, just using websites more than anything else.

I stated I liked Alcaraz previously before he signed for Saints, same with Tete at Leicester and also Danilo at Forest.

As for the list Lois Openda is a bit of a battering ram of a forward, doing well this season and I just think he’d do well in our system.

Ugarte is a player someone of here mentioned to be honest but he’s a carbon copy of Kamara, Ugochukwu is a beast in the making and someone I found whilst looking at another player we were linked with. (he’s got a cool name and is fricking huge)

One I really, really want us to sign but I don’t think we will is Xavi Simons. He’d be so good in this team.

Kokcu I’ve been going on about for ages as he’s a more offensive version of Luiz, great set piece taker too. 

His Feyenoord teammate Geertruida is playing well too as a RB/CB so I put his name forward as an option for us. He’s a converted CM so he’s good on the ball and can also cover the DM position. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

We should sign Mitoma and weaken Brighton in the process.

They’d want to rinse us for him So no thanks.

With the Vitoria link up I’m wondering if they’ll become our ‘Brighton’ and allow us to buy ‘indirectly’ players like the Mitoma’s of the future. 

I’ve mentioned him already but Nakamura at LASK is worth a punt. His ST teammate Ljubicic is worth a look too

11 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

It's not specifically a problem with Cash, but it's a problem with the entire first team that we're too small, and that shows up when we're trying to defend set pieces. Cash is the most logical player to replace to improve that weakness. (Konsa too, but replacing the current 2nd best aerial threat offers less scope for improvement). Getting a taller midfielder in too would be great, but RB is the most logical. 

Cash has been doing perfectly fine in that role, so he doesn't need to be replaced at all, but we need to make improvements somewhere, and that is a position that we can address a clear weakness in the team, and probably not even at a big cost.

Cash is probably worth 30m+ because he has the abilities that most teams look for in a modern full back - the ability to get up and down the pitch all game. But we don't use that most of the time. What we primarily need is a guy who is good defensively against wingers, good in the air and good in possession, especially under pressure. Cash has been doing fine in that role, but we could definitely find someone with those specific strengths, and we could possibly even turn a profit whole doing so, as there is more of a premium on Cash's strengths than those of the type of player we're looking for. 

People have mentioned Konsa for that RB role, but Konsa's limitations on the ball are already obvious at CB, and would be more of a problem at RB. The RB needs to be very comfortable on the ball. One of the reasons Young has been so good in that position despite not being a natural defender is that it's comparatively easy for him to play there compared to the wing. He has way more time on the ball, so it's easy for him. It would be the opposite for Konsa. He'd have less time, and he's already not progressive or ambitious enough on the ball as it is.

We could keep Cash as a backup/attacking option, but I've already argued that that seems a massive waste of resources. Our budget will have limits, so keeping a high earning player whose resale value is at it's peak is just bad business. We could get someone cheaper and with potential there, and even that would only be needed if KKH and Young are not in contention for that role next year.