Jhon Durán

PieFacE

13 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The problem is, we are desperate for the finished article in order to get into the top half. Do you think the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea or Spurs will be buying such players? 

This signing worries me in so many ways. It just looks like we either have no money to compete, no desire to compete or that we are screwed with FFP. Whichever it is, it doesn't bode well.

…or that they’ve seen something in him that they think will prove to be of use to the club, either now or within a time frame like the next season or two.

I have no opinion on the player. It’s just another possibility.

I can also completely imagine Chelsea buying an unproven player for this sort of amount.

As for the lack of desire in competing, Gerrard’s first signing proper was a left back for about £25m, on frankly ridiculous wages. If there was a lack of wanting to compete, I’m not sure Emery’s first transfer would also have been a left back. He might have been told to prioritise. They might have been tempted to say “No, use the really expensive one we’ve only had for a year and are currently paying 160 grand a week…”

28 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

A 1 in 4 striker in the MLS. Hmm. I won't be getting excited let's put it that way. It's Jordan Bowery, Simon Dawkins, Jean Makoun levels of meh...

Really needed a proven, quality striker. 

This isn't it.

He's was 18. Proven strikers like Ings and Watkins you moan about...... 

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

…or that they’ve seen something in him that they think will prove to be of use to the club, either now or within a time frame like the next season or two.

I have no opinion on the player. It’s just another possibility.

I can also completely imagine Chelsea buying an unproven player for this sort of amount.

As for the lack of desire in competing, Gerrard’s first signing proper was a left back for about £25m, on frankly ridiculous wages. If there was a lack of wanting to compete, I’m not sure Emery’s first transfer would also have been a left back. He might have been told to prioritise. They might have been tempted to say “No, use the really expensive one we’ve only had for a year and are currently paying 160 grand a week…”

Maybe I should have been clearer and said that the clubs I mentioned wouldn't have bought this guy as a solution to a current problem. We need a proven goalscorer badly. This is not it.

Just now, Made In Aston said:

People have been moaning that we  signed too many old players. We sign a 19 year old prospect and now they say we need more experienced players🤦

They're just trolls. 

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

People have been moaning that we  signed too many old players. We sign a 19 year old prospect and now they say we need more experienced players🤦

We need quality. However old they are. This guy is not what we need right now.

8 minutes ago, messi11 said:

He's was 18. Proven strikers like Ings and Watkins you moan about...... 

No I don't. I think Ings is quality but too inconsistent. Watkins isn't a striker that will take us into the top half. That's not moaning, it's an opinion.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

No I don't. I think Ings is quality but too inconsistent. Watkins isn't a striker that will take us into the top half. That's not moaning, it's an opinion.

Who do you want us to sign?

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We need quality. However old they are. This guy is not what we need right now.

A club needs to have a mix of players. Some will be there to make a profit on and others will be there for immediate performances. There is nothing to say that we won't get a proven striker just because we have signed a young prospect. 

14 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not for the first team they didnt. They aren't struggling for goals either and thats despite the fact they spent 60 million on Isak in the summer and he has been out injured.

He is exactly the kind of signing we needed to make. Not a punt on a kid from the MLS with a fairly poor goalscoring record.

Neither are we. Since Emery has came in, we’ve scored 11 league goals. In that same period Newcastle have scored 9.

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

A club needs to have a mix of players. Some will be there to make a profit on and others will be there for immediate performances. There is nothing to say that we won't get a proven striker just because we have signed a young prospect. 

If that turns out to be case then I will be delighted and will not be as concerned about this signing. I am very doubtful we will sign another striker now but let's hope we do.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Neither are we. Since Emery has came in, we’ve scored 11 league goals. In that same period Newcastle have scored 9.

We struggled for to score enough goals v Liverpool, Man United, Wolves and Stevenage so far in his reign. We need a more clinical strker.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

We struggled for to score enough goals v Liverpool, Man United, Wolves and Stevenage so far in his reign. We need a more clinical strker.

Well I'm super excited for this transfer and think he will go on to become one of the best strikers in the PL and eventually leave for big money. 

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Well I'm super excited for this transfer and think he will go on to become one of the best strikers in the PL and eventually leave for big money. 

OK well that's the point of a forum. Different opinions. I don't think he will go on to be one of the best strikers in the Prem and his stats to date don't support that he will either. Time will tell.

11 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

You’re right. We couldn’t score enough against a League 2 team, we need a £70m striker immediately.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You’re right. We couldn’t score enough against a League 2 team, we need a £70m striker immediately.

Not being able to break down a League 2 team absolutely proves that we need another striker yes. I think it's clear we need one. Not a rookie with a 1 in 4 record ina terrible league, but a proper solid, proven striker. Maybe we will buy one. I hope we do.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Â