Club World Cup

duke313

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

FIFA just went and decided to turn the video game into real life without thought about the actual implications. 

In fairness, FIFA are taking the thing that makes them most money - the thing that works best for them in football - the World Cup - and copying it directly into club football as a potential method of gaining better control of the European clubs that threaten it.

I reckon they've given a lot of thought to the actual implications - or at least to the actual implications for FIFA.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess it will come down to whether the clubs want it.

It's more than possible that a tournament set up this way - a massive, once every four years shootout to be the World's biggest club - club football presented as a World Cup - could bring in enormous TV revenues, as well as massive marketing benefits. 

That'll be hard to resist for Barca, Real and the other Superleague clubs and it'll be something that any prospective new Liverpool owners for example would be very keen on regardless of Jurgen's opinion.

As a tournament, I think it could be fantastic - but something's got to give - and I'd be torn on whether I'd like this tournament (potentially featuring Villa in years to come) to mean the end of the League Cup or an 18 team Premier league or both.

I can see the League Cup ending.  Or possibly changing to feature teams not in European competition, which would make it a glorified Papa John's Trophy.

23 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I have zero interest in this. Glorified pre season friendlies.

Like @OutByEaster?says too Many Questions not enough Answers  

I have some interest in it - if done right it could be the biggest club tournament in football.

I just worry how it would fit in - too much football - not enough space.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

I can see the League Cup ending.  Or possibly changing to feature teams not in European competition, which would make it a glorified Papa John's Trophy.

I thought that - but would you end the league cup for something that only happens every four years?

Just now, bobzy said:

If people stop watching these football abominations (like the Qatar World Cup etc) then they don't happen.

But people want football 24/7.  No-one really cares.  It will just happen.

I think Qatar WC has been pretty decent footballing wise so far. 

And this already is happening, it was supposed to happen in 2021 but was postponed because of covid.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I think Qatar WC has been pretty decent footballing wise so far. 

And this already is happening, it was supposed to happen in 2021 but was postponed because of covid.

Exactly - no-one cares about anything other than access to football.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have some interest in it - if done right it could be the biggest club tournament in football.

The idea in principle is good, but we already have the Champions League. 

Do we really need to see Real Madrid or PSG batter some team from New Zealand?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The idea in principle is good, but we already have the Champions League. 

Do we really need to see Real Madrid or PSG batter some team from New Zealand?

Did we need to see Spain beat Costa Rica 7-0?

The World Cup doesn't interfere with the Champions League - think of this as a World Cup but where Messi wears his club shirt.

The Premier League is making huge amounts of money already and along with the expanded CL do they really want to cede some control to FIFA for yet another competition? Nobody will care about the clubs outside of the traditional big european names so I don't really see the point of this. Apart from the money of course.

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm the same

If it's treated like the pinnacle of world club football then it could be great, better than the CL, especially the new dogshit format CL

If it's treated as an extension of the "tournament" that the ESL clubs play in the states every summer already then it'll be shite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I'm the same

If it's treated like the pinnacle of world club football then it could be great, better than the CL, especially the new dogshit format CL

If it's treated as an extension of the "tournament" that the ESL clubs play in the states every summer already then it'll be shite

I should clarify that with its still bullshit for world football while FFP exists

The prize money for this will be how many millions? Man City win it and get gifted £100m+ while it's also hosted in a country that enables them to grow their fan base... But if villa run themselves properly and look after their finances we can catch them... No we **** can't, it'd rigged to keep the top teams at the top, this would just further the disparity

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

These are the top two ranked clubs in each conference based on FIFA ranking points (no, me neither).

• CAF  - Al Ahly - Egypt (1661)
  • CAF - Wydad Casablanca Morocco (1637)
  • AFC - Al Hilal · Saudi Arabia (1663)
  • AFC - Kawasaki Frontale · Japan (1647)
  • UEFA - Bayern München · Germany (2048)
  • UEFA - SSC Napoli · Italy (2007)
  • CONCACAF - América · Mexico (1645)
  • CONCACAF -CF Pachuca · Mexico (1638)
  • OFC - Auckland City · New Zealand (1605)
  • OFC - Team Wellington · New Zealand (1498)
  • CONMEBOL - Palmeiras · Brazil (1808)
  • CONMEBOL - Flamengo · Brazil (1780)

If they then went with their ranking points, the next twenty clubs would all be European.

• Real Madrid
  • Manchester City
  • Liverpool
  • Paris St Germain
  • Barcelona
  • Arsenal
  • AC Milan
  • Inter Milan
  • RB Leipzig
  • FC Porto
  • Chelsea
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • Ajax
  • Newcastle United
  • Manchester United
  • Juventus
  • Freiburg
  • Lazio
  • Atletico Madrid
  • Real Betis

(We're ranked 77th with 1650 points)

Which I guess suggests that FIFA's club rankings would make for a very Eurocentric competition and that it's hilarious that FIFA rank Newcastle higher than Man Utd.

The different confederations will get assigned a number of spots, presumably in the same ratio as the current WC. The confederations will then decide which of their clubs to put forward for the competition.

For Europe that would mean 13 clubs going and I would guess UEFA will nominate to send the 13 of the 16 teams who reached the knockout stage of the Champions League.  

Â