Club World Cup

duke313

Been in FM few a few years now

Was also floated as an idea a few years back, it's better than the 2 year cycle international world cup bollocks, was backed by a big Japanese bank and will no doubt take place in footballing hot beds like the middle east and the US, should replace the confederations Cup which no one is interested in so held in the WC host country 

It could work and be good imo or it could be glorified friendlies

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was also floated as an idea a few years back, it's better than the 2 year cycle international world cup bollocks, was backed by a big Japanese bank and will no doubt take place in footballing hot beds like the middle east and the US, should replace the confederations Cup which no one is interested in so held in the WC host country 

Why held in the World Cup host country?

It'll fill one of the remaining summers won't it - so for European players, one summer the World Cup, the next the World Club Cup, then the Euros then a summer with a break.

Hosting will be interesting - it's exactly the type of things that the oil will want to host - but I don't think we can repeat this weird break in the season that we've had for the Qatar World Cup - which means they'll either need to build fully indoor stadia or rule themselves out.

Selection will be particularly fascinating - if you were to just pick the best 32 clubs in the World, then right now, we'd have a decent chance of being in it.

They won't do that - they'll pick clubs from every Confederation in order to control the global TV markets - so clubs from:

• CAF (Africa)
  • AFC (Asia and Australia)
  • UEFA (Europe)
  • CONCACAF (North & Central America and the Caribbean)
  • OFC (Oceania)
  • CONMEBOL (South America)

Which presents it's own difficulties.

Each confederation will want at least one team, which will be simple enough - but the other 24?

Who decides that OFC get two and CONMEBOL get three and on what basis?

Who makes sure that Europe get enough to ensure that the global TV giants are present?

How do FIFA explain to CAF that UEFA has been awarded eight spots and they only get two?

How is qualification achieved? At the moment you need to win the Champions League to qualify from Europe - will it be the winners of the three European titles and the runner up? Will Champions League semi-finalists qualify?

Will there be some sort of European qualifying competition, like we get for the World Cup of Nations? So Aston Villa have been draw in Group F with Anderlecht, Porto and Club Brugge?

It's a big change and it could be an enormous competition - an actual World Club championship that has value and something that sits above the Champions league.

For FIFA that would be the dream - a competition that is theirs, not UEFA's and is in their control, not the control of the European Super clubs.

Incidentally, that four year cycle - Euros/WC/WCC/summer off - still leaves room for a World Cup every two years if FIFA want to take control of every summer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll fill one of the remaining summers won't it - so for European players, one summer the World Cup, the next the World Club Cup, then the Euros then a summer with a break.

Hosting will be interesting - it's exactly the type of things that the oil will want to host - but I don't think we can repeat this weird break in the season that we've had for the Qatar World Cup - which means they'll either need to build fully indoor stadia or rule themselves out.

Selection will be particularly fascinating - if you were to just pick the best 32 clubs in the World, then right now, we'd have a decent chance of being in it.

They won't do that - they'll pick clubs from every Confederation in order to control the global TV markets - so clubs from:

• CAF (Africa)
  • UEFA (Europe)
  • OFC (Oceania)

Each confederation will want at least one team, which will be simple enough - but the other 24?

Who makes sure that Europe get enough to ensure that the global TV giants are present?

How do FIFA explain to CAF that UEFA has been awarded eight spots and they only get two?

How is qualification achieved? At the moment you need to win the Champions League to qualify from Europe - will it be the winners of the three European titles and the runner up? Will Champions League semi-finalists qualify?

Will there be some sort of European qualifying competition, like we get for the World Cup of Nations? So Aston Villa have been draw in Group F with Anderlecht, Porto and Club Brugge?

It's a big change and it could be an enormous competition - an actual World Club championship that has value and something that sits above the Champions league.

For FIFA that would be the dream - a competition that is theirs, not UEFA's and is in their control, not the control of the European Super clubs.

Incidentally, that four year cycle - Euros/WC/WCC/summer off - still leaves room for a World Cup every two years if FIFA want to take control of every summer.

I guess the same way they tell them for the World Cup that UEFA get 13 and CAF get 5?

I really hope players and ideally clubs start to decline taking part in these things. I imagine a maximum of games per year will be part big name player contracts before long. Guys like De Bruine seem fed up with the ridiculous number of games. Let them have a proper break once in a while or they will break. And the quality of football is already suffering imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• CAF (Africa)
  • UEFA (Europe)
  • OFC (Oceania)

Because it replaces the confederations Cup as the test event

The way it worked on FM was it was based on EL and CL, so the winners of both I think go in + the runners up and then maybe the semi finalists (over the 4 year cycle) which means it's the usual suspects that they want because its the normally the same 7 or 8 teams at those stages 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Been in FM few a few years now

It could work and be good imo or it could be glorified friendlies

I detest it in FM. 

Lost the CL final one year with Bayern and had to immediately play in this monstrosity of a competition the following week.

1 minute ago, sne said:

I really hope players and ideally clubs start to decline taking part in these things. I imagine a maximum of games per year will be part big name player contracts before long. Guys like De Bruine seem fed up with the ridiculous number of games. Let them have a proper break once in a while or they will break. And the quality of football is already suffering imo.

They should boycott it, or if they faced sanctions/fines from FIFA send a squad made up of entirely U18 players, be good experience for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I detest it in FM. 

Lost the CL final one year with Bayern and had to immediately play in this monstrosity of a competition the following week.

Yeah nearly said that

In FM it also works that the tournament features small squads as it doesn't take priority over international competitions like u21s and then the games are over a short period of time so it decimates your squad

Also had it on an ajax save that I played a Brazilian team in the group stage, scouted them, found a wonderkid striker, transfer window was open so I signed him, scored for me in the final

• Haha 1

These are the top two ranked clubs in each conference based on FIFA ranking points (no, me neither).

• CAF  - Al Ahly - Egypt (1661)
  • CAF - Wydad Casablanca Morocco (1637)
  • AFC - Al Hilal · Saudi Arabia (1663)
  • AFC - Kawasaki Frontale · Japan (1647)
  • UEFA - Bayern München · Germany (2048)
  • UEFA - SSC Napoli · Italy (2007)
  • CONCACAF - América · Mexico (1645)
  • CONCACAF -CF Pachuca · Mexico (1638)
  • OFC - Auckland City · New Zealand (1605)
  • OFC - Team Wellington · New Zealand (1498)
  • CONMEBOL - Palmeiras · Brazil (1808)
  • CONMEBOL - Flamengo · Brazil (1780)

If they then went with their ranking points, the next twenty clubs would all be European.

• Real Madrid
  • Manchester City
  • Liverpool
  • Paris St Germain
  • Barcelona
  • Arsenal
  • AC Milan
  • Inter Milan
  • RB Leipzig
  • FC Porto
  • Chelsea
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • Ajax
  • Newcastle United
  • Manchester United
  • Juventus
  • Freiburg
  • Lazio
  • Atletico Madrid
  • Real Betis

(We're ranked 77th with 1650 points)

Which I guess suggests that FIFA's club rankings would make for a very Eurocentric competition and that it's hilarious that FIFA rank Newcastle higher than Man Utd.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

These are the top two ranked clubs in each conference based on FIFA ranking points (no, me neither).

• CAF  - Al Ahly - Egypt (1661)
  • CAF - Wydad Casablanca Morocco (1637)
  • AFC - Al Hilal · Saudi Arabia (1663)
  • AFC - Kawasaki Frontale · Japan (1647)
  • UEFA - Bayern München · Germany (2048)
  • UEFA - SSC Napoli · Italy (2007)
  • CONCACAF - América · Mexico (1645)
  • CONCACAF -CF Pachuca · Mexico (1638)
  • OFC - Auckland City · New Zealand (1605)
  • OFC - Team Wellington · New Zealand (1498)
  • CONMEBOL - Palmeiras · Brazil (1808)
  • CONMEBOL - Flamengo · Brazil (1780)

If they then went with their ranking points, the next twenty clubs would all be European.

• Real Madrid
  • Manchester City
  • Liverpool
  • Paris St Germain
  • Barcelona
  • Arsenal
  • AC Milan
  • Inter Milan
  • RB Leipzig
  • FC Porto
  • Chelsea
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • Ajax
  • Newcastle United
  • Manchester United
  • Juventus
  • Freiburg
  • Lazio
  • Atletico Madrid
  • Real Betis

(We're ranked 77th with 1650 points)

Which I guess suggests that FIFA's club rankings would make for a very Eurocentric competition and that it's hilarious that FIFA rank Newcastle higher than Man Utd.

I bet bank balance and bungs you pay to FIFA give you 1000+ FIFA fun points.

I guess it will come down to whether the clubs want it.

It's more than possible that a tournament set up this way - a massive, once every four years shootout to be the World's biggest club - club football presented as a World Cup - could bring in enormous TV revenues, as well as massive marketing benefits. 

That'll be hard to resist for Barca, Real and the other Superleague clubs and it'll be something that any prospective new Liverpool owners for example would be very keen on regardless of Jurgen's opinion.

As a tournament, I think it could be fantastic - but something's got to give - and I'd be torn on whether I'd like this tournament (potentially featuring Villa in years to come) to mean the end of the League Cup or an 18 team Premier league or both.

Â