Egypt

villarule123

Lets just say i would never go again. True story - one guy and i remember this well came up to my dad and offered 3 donkeys for my mum. The guy was deadly serious if i was older i probably would have got arrested.

Its got some nice places the pyramids are good but getting to cairo my god absolute chaos. I personally  didnt like the place couldnt wait to come home but im sure people on here had a better experience than me.

My old man came back from there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time.  He did the Nile cruise and a hotel near the pyramids as well as Hurghada.  It seems like a place with a good balance of nice resorts and history nearby, I think if I went I'd like to spend more than a day doing the pyramids and temples, they looked amazing especially all the hieroglyphics.

I did sharm and I'll never go again either

The set up with the huge all inclusive resort and perfect weather and the price it all makes so much sense

But then the dodgy stomach, the mosquitos and the desperation of the looky looky men when I went off resort meant that overall I just didn't enjoy the place 

In Feb you'll be struggling for anywhere comparable in europe but I prefer Turkey if you want that kind of holiday

I love Egypt , never had a bad experience there , could have just ben lucky though , I’ve met a lot of people that have hated the place 

Tbh I think you’d need more than a day by the time you get to  Cairo , but guess you could get something like a 5 am flight and a late evening flight back

Hire a guide for the day and they would take you to  Saqqara  ,  there are some underground tombs that you can go inside there , they are quite spectacular

the best view of the pyramids is from the back but it would be a long walk if you do your own thing so again a guide with a car might be useful  …you can usually go inside one of the pyramids but if you are at all claustrophobic then I wouldn’t advise it …

the Coptic church area is worth a look and also the “old” Cairo  museum …but  if you are lucky the new Cairo museum might finally be open by Feb 

If you decide to stay the night then the sight and sound is a bit meh  ,  I first saw it in 1984 and I don’t think it has been updated when I saw it again in 2016 

never had any safety issues in my half dozen trips there , you’ll get people trying to flog you stuff but just keep walking they don’t press gang you 

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2022 at 17:18, villarule123 said:

Considering taking the family to Hurghada in February, and possibly do a day trip on my own to see the Pyramids. Anyone been? How is the place? 

Stayed in Hurghada twice, nice place mostly. Don't take the missus if she's fair or blonde though.

Been to Sharm once too, preferred Hurghada though.

Pyramids and other old stuff are amazing, proper life changing experience 

Edited by Talldarkandransome

On 13/11/2022 at 12:43, Demitri_C said:

Lets just say i would never go again. True story - one guy and i remember this well came up to my dad and offered 3 donkeys for my mum. The guy was deadly serious if i was older i probably would have got arrested.

When I went, I was offered a camel for my then missus. I was gutted. They wouldn't let me take the camel back on the plane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went for my Honeymoon with Mrs T. To Sharm, Cario.and the pyramids. I would never go again if it was free and they gave me spending money. Mrs T was 44 at the time blonde and buxom, they would not.leqve us alone, even when on my arm they would whistle at her. In Sharm market I shouted to be left alone, they surrounded us it was scary. The police came, the stall holders gave them money, so that they did not stop them selling. Never have I ever felt that I could not keep my wife safe. Even around the pool , staff were taking pictures of the young girls sunbathing. Police helped us cross busy road and asked for payment. Omg I could tell you so much more. So glad when we left 

Edited by Robtaylor200

On 14/01/2023 at 22:54, Xela said:

When I went, I was offered a camel for my then missus. I was gutted. They wouldn't let me take the camel back on the plane.

Should have told em it was your emotional support camel to help with your fear of flying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Should have told em it was your emotional support camel to help with your fear of flying.

What would I have done with my peacock then?!

• Haha 1

Â