Unai Emery

PeterSw

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I was editing my post at the end but you'd replied so add here Emery looking at Iroegbunam as cover and if not good enough will probably get some obscure youth player like the January transfers we've made. People complain we don't use our youth players then want to sign quality depth to play odd game if player X has a dip. Makes no sense in reality of running a club under FFP constraints

I hope he can step up… on that we can agree… but I haven’t got much to go off of there…

The “big” clubs do rotate on occasion and have more than two options btw…

Edited by Jas10

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I hope he can step up… on that we can agree… but I haven’t got much to go off of there…

The “big” clubs do rotate on occasion and have more than two options btw…

If I check players minutes per club I expect to find CBs and DMs play the bulk minutes across the board. We had Dendoncker and still have Chambers. We're not getting much better externally without spending a lot of money on a player that expects to start every game or a random punt on player from lower tier league

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

I say, respectfully, that is a complete misinterpretation, of the points I have been making.....I have never suggested it to be so, I have merely cited it as an ingredient that is missing presently, that is not to suggest all the other important ingredients like talent, are missing too, albeit quality does get affected, when urgency and intensity is missing.

Effort is not just good, its crucial....but all the other things you mention are too, but effort has a knock on effect to so many things like control, etc

I have never, questioned the subject of quality or Talent, call it what you will, but without effort, workrate, etc it washes away like sand on a beach, thats not saying its more important, but as important.

The old saying "Working hard beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" that does have a significant overtone, which is more than valid.....you see it in clear evidence with the lower league teams in the cups.. banana skin games are also borne out of it...it all boils down to the same thing.

I don't think Villa fans have trouble grappling with it ( albeit that is quite a cross reference to mention all the views in the fanbase)...I think many of them know.....all the ones, I have spoken too are unanimous in their verdict, of the latest form.

In the long emboldened bit....I am genuinely, not sure what you are saying......If you are saying that Unai Emery has a style that pays no heed to stopping opponents from attacking us, I think you are wrong and he would not have had the success he has at various clubs, if he did.

The " Press" is a means to am end.....its is an action, during a game, that teams use, to stop, disrupt and turnover the ball, by ideally winning it back................Now if another solution can be sought, that delivers the same out come, fine........but if you are saying, no attention to stopping the opposition is needed, which is tantamount to saying we don't have to compete.....I think your theory is flawed.....and I do not think UE thinks like that at all.

His face the other night, illustrated, he did not think they were following his orders at all......Will he say that?, behind closed doors he will.

He’s not saying that TRO… you originally brought up gegenpressing or high intensity or aggressive pressing… that’s what has been responded to initially…

It’s not that we won’t press, it’s that we won’t be relentless with it… our style is different and more focussed on control and dictation of play… he is trying to make us play like or become a big or dominant team that focusses on quality possession and chance creation… we are more focussed on playing with the ball than chasing it and focussing on fast counter attacks or anything resembling hoofball or just solely trying to catch teams out (I think the aim is to be a bit more “holistic” or have a bit of variety but… control and structure in the main which is what Unai repeats so often)… we will continue to see and refine the high line and offside trap… it’s that our backup players are not as adept at that as our first choices… but they have to learn it too… so maybe Unai is being a bit “stubborn” in that regard but it’s part of the (learning) process… it’s about adaptation… and we’ll be much better off for it in the long term…

But, we will still press and intercept, (we usually have done) intelligently rather than constantly…. we still see players like McGinn and Kamara get their foot in and steal the ball and get us going in terms of attack… even Tielemans! Ollie will work as hard as ever… others need to pitch in…when and where necessary… maybe a more aggressive/tenacious Dougie would be good but he is our primary creator… we don’t wanna give away too many fouls or pick up too many bookings/suspensions (can’t afford it) either…

A high intensity pressing style takes a lot out of players, it’s difficult to sustain or maintain over a whole season (but can still be implemented on occasion or according to the opposition) - there is often some sort of drop off… takes a hell of a lot of energy and stamina and usually results in “burned out” players and injuries… especially if your squad is small/tight… it’s why we see rotation (something we can’t really afford much of)…

Unai is managing the players and trying to ensure that they are not exhausted or become ineffective before the season is out… he is being intelligent and looking at the big picture or our long term future as a competitive team… for him, it’s not just about this season but all of the ones beyond…

Keeping a hold of the ball is a lot less exhausting than constantly chasing after it…

If we want to back and support Unai, have belief and trust in him, then we need to get behind the style and system(s) he is implementing and be supportive of it… accept it… we aren’t going to play in a different way or resemble other teams that are thrown up as examples or alternatives…

There is no point in anyone complaining  about our style - it’s here to stay.

As you say, we are WIP… we will keep improving further along the journey or process… 10-15% so far?

Edited by Jas10

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If I check players minutes per club I expect to find CBs and DMs play the bulk minutes across the board. We had Dendoncker and still have Chambers. We're not getting much better externally without spending a lot of money on a player that expects to start every game or a random punt on player from lower tier league

Ok, let’s leave it there mate because we’re straying into transfers when Unai is the subject here… Chambers isn’t sticking around…

A better squad helps Unai achieve more, that’s mainly my point.

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He’s not saying that TRO… you originally brought up gegenpressing or high intensity or aggressive pressing… that’s what has been responded to initially…

It’s not that we won’t press, it’s that we won’t be relentless with it… our style is different and more focussed on control and dictation of play… he is trying to make us play like or become a big or dominant team that focusses on quality possession and chance creation… we are more focussed on playing with the ball than chasing it and focussing on fast counter attacks or anything resembling hoofball or just solely trying to catch teams out (I think the aim is to be a bit more “holistic” or have a bit of variety but… control and structure in the main which is what Unai repeats so often)… we will continue to see and refine the high line and offside trap… it’s that our backup players are not as adept at that as our first choices… but they have to learn it too… so maybe Unai is being a bit “stubborn” in that regard but it’s part of the (learning) process… it’s about adaptation… and we’ll be much better off for it in the long term…

But, we will still press and intercept, (we usually have done) intelligently rather than constantly…. we still see players like McGinn and Kamara get their foot in and steal the ball and get us going in terms of attack… even Tielemans! Ollie will work as hard as ever… others need to pitch in…when and where necessary… maybe a more aggressive/tenacious Dougie would be good but he is our primary creator… we don’t wanna give away too many fouls or pick up too many bookings/suspensions (can’t afford it) either…

A high intensity pressing style takes a lot out of players, it’s difficult to sustain or maintain over a whole season (but can still be implemented on occasion or according to the opposition) - there is often some sort of drop off… takes a hell of a lot of energy and stamina and usually results in “burned out” players and injuries… especially if your squad is small/tight… it’s why we see rotation (something we can’t really afford much of)…

Unai is managing the players and trying to ensure that they are not exhausted or become ineffective before the season is out… he is being intelligent and looking at the big picture or our long term future as a competitive team… for him, it’s not just about this season but all of the ones beyond…

Keeping a hold of the ball is a lot less exhausting than constantly chasing after it…

If we want to back and support Unai, have belief and trust in him, then we need to get behind the style and system(s) he is implementing and be supportive of it… accept it… we aren’t going to play in a different way or resemble other teams that are thrown up as examples or alternatives…

There is no point in anyone complaining  about our style - it’s here to stay.

As you say, we are WIP… we will keep improving further along the journey or process… 10-15% so far?

Thanks Jas..interesting rendition.

I don't think our style, is the issue, and I hope, I haven't suggested it is....but while the emboldened bit is true...... its idealism v reality. 

When we lose the ball, through poor passing, being rushed or in a duel, the ball is lost, and our intention to keep it, breached......so the next action, is to win it back, and that can take on various ways of doing it.....but do it, we must.

I think there is too much technical crap, creeping in to football, from various sources, and Common sense is being lost. its a simple game

My suggestion of Counter pressing, was merely a suggestion, no more.....I don't much care about how we go about recovering the ball, or our style or anybody elses, doesn't concern me......but in order to do anything in the game, we must have the ball.....now we can spin yarns about what we do once we have the ball.....but very few conversations, take place, about what we do, when we haven't got it......and its a significant part of the game, that it seems to me is glossed over, with no real tangible acknowledgement of it.

We can sugar coat, these last few games, all we like.....But I feel sure UE will be working on a fix....if they carry out his wishes, on that,  we will see, in the forth coming games.

I accept your explanation, about gegen pressing, but I am still none the wiser of how we propose to meet the same benefits of it, if we don't use it......we have to win second balls, win duels and create turnovers, how are we to do that with passive play? or with sparse appetite to engage...how are we to stop opponents having a "Field Day"?

Someone, Somehow, somewhere on the pitch, has to win the ball back, if we always rely on a passive method of doing that, it will create a problem for us, eventually.

Backing, Unai is a bland comment, because everyone backs him....and I simply do not believe he is even close to being happy, with these past results, even if he publicly says he is......I even think the Man U 3-2 was as bad, second half.

I am like, many Villa Fans....searching for answers.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thanks Jas..interesting rendition.

I don't think our style, is the issue, and I hope, I haven't suggested it is....but while the emboldened bit is true...... its idealism v reality. 

When we lose the ball, through poor passing, being rushed or in a duel, the ball is lost, and our intention to keep it, breached......so the next action, is to win it back, and that can take on various ways of doing it.....but do it, we must.

I think there is too much technical crap, creeping in to football, from various sources, and Common sense is being lost. its a simple game

My suggestion of Counter pressing, was merely a suggestion, no more.....I don't much care about how we go about recovering the ball, or our style or anybody elses, doesn't concern me......but in order to do anything in the game, we must have the ball.....now we can spin yarns about what we do once we have the ball.....but very few conversations, take place, about what we do, when we haven't got it......and its a significant part of the game, that it seems to me is glossed over, with no real tangible acknowledgement of it.

We can sugar coat, these last few games, all we like.....But I feel sure UE will be working on a fix....if they carry out his wishes, on that,  we will see, in the forth coming games.

I accept your explanation, about gegen pressing, but I am still none the wiser of how we propose to meet the same benefits of it, if we don't use it......we have to win second balls, win duels and create turnovers, how are we to do that with passive play? or with sparse appetite to engage...how are we to stop opponents having a "Field Day"?

Someone, Somehow, somewhere on the pitch, has to win the ball back, if we always rely on a passive method of doing that, it will create a problem for us, eventually.

Backing, Unai is a bland comment, because everyone backs him....and I simply do not believe he is even close to being happy, with these past results, even if he publicly says he is......I even think the Man U 3-2 was as bad, second half.

I am like, many Villa Fans....searching for answers.

That’s fair enough…

No one is trying to sugarcoat games or performances… no one has been smiling or delighted after those off days and we’re all upset and hurt (to varying degrees) or even embarrassed after those occasions… some have more belief that we will bounce back than others though…

I just think some are more patient and understanding than others… and prefer to look at the bigger picture rather than be too reactionary (if you think people are not questioning or criticising Unai… your are off there my friend…and Villa Talk only represents a portion of our fanbase but we do have some silly crap written here from time to time too 😆) and start being negative or worrying that everything is beginning to fall apart…

that’s an unfortunate mentality that has become, maybe understandably so, ingrained into many Villa fans minds after years of struggle, toil and decline. But this is a new era, we have to forget the “old Villa” and focus on the “new Villa” and realise that it’s going to take time and a few stumbles along the way for us to become the side that Unai envisions…the best manager we’ve ever had…

We can’t be amazing every week… it’s not a fair or realistic or demand… but yeah, I agree with you, sometimes we have to grind out results too but… we have also done that… is that now why we are where we are and part of why Unai has the highest win rate of any Villa manager ever? The think we have already demonstrated that we have had answers to these kinds of questions or overcome challenges already…on multiple occasions…

We may be in the mix with sides like Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs… but… do we have the squad, level of quality, number of options as they do? And these sides play poorly and suffer from “upsets” from time to time too… I really hope we don’t become as entitled and arrogant as many of those fans…

you can’t win or achieve anything without any kind of struggle or challenge along the way…

You  are saying it yourself, we are a work in progress. Again, it’s more of a personnel issue for us than a tactical or psychological one imo… we have to get these backup or alternative players playing the same style or in the same way but they are not as good and need more time to adapt… Unai hasn’t been with us for all that long either… what a job he is doing! We are really suffering from key absences and need to find a way to reduce or alleviate that…

I don’t think the intention is to be passive… once again, it’s worth looking back at our positive performances and results… we aren’t usually passive… we are entering and exciting, in the main, to watch… and I couldn’t love it more! 😆

Did we not dominate and dismantle Man City? Did we not intercept the ball and be aggressive then? Against Brighton? Against West Ham (a team you often use as an example to accentuate the points that you make - we demolished them)…

It’s fine to analyse and ask questions… I’m not trying to shut you down… but we know no one is doing that more and with more nous and expertise than King Unai….

I firmly believe… we will get there… we will get where Unai wants us to be..

Edited by Jas10

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That’s fair enough…

No one is trying to sugarcoat games or performances… no one has been smiling or delighted after those off days and we’re all upset and hurt (to varying degrees) or even embarrassed after those occasions… some have more belief that we will bounce back than others too…

I just think some are more patient and understanding than others… and prefer to look at the bigger picture rather than be too reactionary (if you think people are not questioning or criticising Unai… your are off there my friend…and Villa Talk only represents a portion of our fanbase but we do have some silly crap written here too from time to time 😆) and start being negative or worrying that everything is beginning to fall apart… that’s an unfortunate mentality that has become, maybe understandably so, ingrained into many Villa fans minds after years of struggle, toil and decline. But this is a new era, we have to forget the “old Villa” and focus on the “new Villa” and realise that it’s going to take time and a few stumbles along the way for us to become the side that Unai envisions…the best manager we’ve ever had…

We can’t be amazing every week… it’s not a fair or realistic or demand… but yeah, I agree with you, sometimes we have to grind out results too but… we have also down that… is that now why we are where we are and part of why Unai has the highest win rate of any Villa manager ever?

We may be in the mix with sides like Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs… but… do we have the squad, level of quality, number of options as they do? And this sides play poorly and suffer from “upsets” from time to time too… you can’t win or achieve anything without any kind of struggle or challenge…

You  are saying it yourself, we are a work in progress. Again, it’s more of a personnel issue for us than a tactical or psychological one imo… we have to get these backup or alternative players playing the same style or in the same way but they are not as good and need more time to adapt… Unai hasn’t been with us for all that long either… what a job he is doing!

I don’t think the intention is to be passive… once again, it’s worth looking back at our positive performances and results…

Did we not dominate and dismantle Man City? Did we not intercept the ball and be aggressive then? Against Brighton? Against West Ham (I team you often use as an example to accentuate the points that you make - we demolished them)…

It’s fine to analyse and ask questions… I’m not trying to shut you down… but we know no one is doing that more and with more noise and expertise than King Unai….

Fair comments, Jas, Liked it.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I say, respectfully, that is a complete misinterpretation, of the points I have been making.....I have never suggested it to be so, I have merely cited it as an ingredient that is missing presently, that is not to suggest all the other important ingredients like talent, are missing too, albeit quality does get affected, when urgency and intensity is missing.

Effort is not just good, its crucial....but all the other things you mention are too, but effort has a knock on effect to so many things like control, etc

I have never, questioned the subject of quality or Talent, call it what you will, but without effort, workrate, etc it washes away like sand on a beach, thats not saying its more important, but as important.

The old saying "Working hard beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" that does have a significant overtone, which is more than valid.....you see it in clear evidence with the lower league teams in the cups.. banana skin games are also borne out of it...it all boils down to the same thing.

I don't think Villa fans have trouble grappling with it ( albeit that is quite a cross reference to mention all the views in the fanbase)...I think many of them know.....all the ones, I have spoken too are unanimous in their verdict, of the latest form.

In the long emboldened bit....I am genuinely, not sure what you are saying......If you are saying that Unai Emery has a style that pays no heed to stopping opponents from attacking us, I think you are wrong and he would not have had the success he has at various clubs, if he did.

The " Press" is a means to am end.....its is an action, during a game, that teams use, to stop, disrupt and turnover the ball, by ideally winning it back................Now if another solution can be sought, that delivers the same out come, fine........but if you are saying, no attention to stopping the opposition is needed, which is tantamount to saying we don't have to compete.....I think your theory is flawed.....and I do not think UE thinks like that at all.

His face the other night, illustrated, he did not think they were following his orders at all......Will he say that?, behind closed doors he will.

Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but your proposition is that if we just pressed like our opponents and gave more effort, it would turn things around. You frequently highlight Newcastle as “taking the game to the opposition.”

And what I’m saying is we won’t play like that. At our peak, we use high lines and offside traps to compress the pitch - to prevent passes from getting in between the lines - to have a narrow shape and force them into low percentage passes - to trap them in certain areas of the pitch. 

But we won’t be pressing high and maniacal like the Geordies or Chelsea or United.

Our problems, though some seem to think otherwise, are purely down to fitness and injury. An incomplete and low quality back 4 and DM. 

Unai will stick to the plan, and I hope the Villa faithful understand that we won’t be out there pressing like maniacs or suddenly playing counter attacking football or low blocks. 

We will play as best as we can with the lesser players we have. I’ve criticized Unai plenty for his weird personnel decisions but it would be the beginning of the end if he changed the way he wanted to play philosophically because of a few results with his backup defensive line. 

17 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but your proposition is that if we just pressed like our opponents and gave more effort, it would turn things around. You frequently highlight Newcastle as “taking the game to the opposition.”

And what I’m saying is we won’t play like that. At our peak, we use high lines and offside traps to compress the pitch - to prevent passes from getting in between the lines - to have a narrow shape and force them into low percentage passes - to trap them in certain areas of the pitch. 

But we won’t be pressing high and maniacal like the Geordies or Chelsea or United.

Our problems, though some seem to think otherwise, are purely down to fitness and injury. An incomplete and low quality back 4 and DM. 

Unai will stick to the plan, and I hope the Villa faithful understand that we won’t be out there pressing like maniacs or suddenly playing counter attacking football or low blocks. 

We will play as best as we can with the lesser players we have. I’ve criticized Unai plenty for his weird personnel decisions but it would be the beginning of the end if he changed the way he wanted to play philosophically because of a few results with his backup defensive line. 

Forgive me too, because I simply don't accept what you are saying, in the main.....We do press at times, we did it against Newcastle at home last season and registered a 3-0 win.

The last 2 games at Home, Unai was horrified by what he saw, and the reports were, that he was going to spend 2 days forensically analysing, whats gone wrong.....that does not strike me as the plan working or him happy with what he has been getting lately.

and I say with respect to describe pressing as Maniacal is quite absurd.....Whatever the style, whatever the plan, ....you simply have to engage with the opposition when they have the ball, the lesser the opposition, the more chance they will lose it, and you can getaway with interceptions....the better teams, don't lose the ball so often, so you have to challenge for it.......To suggest anything else, is just plain missing the whole point of the game.

I will present a few quotes, from the games elite to ponder:

• Rinus Michels..... Football is like war- whoever bhanes too properly, is lost.
  • Alex Ferguson.....Attack wins you games, Defence wins you titles
  • Alex Ferguson.....Hard work will always overcome natural Talent, when natural talent doesn't work hard enough.
  • Pep Guardiola.....There are teams that wait for you and teams that look for you..I feel very close to the latter, style of football.
  • Sergio Busquets......I play in a position that demands hard work and generosity and little glamour, but I like it..Its my job, and I like it...I would rather steal  10 balls than shoot...thats what I am here for, to make everyone elses job easier.
  • Carles Puyol.......I don't have Romario's Technique, Overmars pace or Kluiverts strength...But I work harder than the others....I'm like a student, who is not as clever, but revises for his exams and does ok in the end.

I could go on.....and yes, I am quoting the elite as a bench mark to thrive for and aspire to.

I am not for one minute, saying talent can be substituted for hard work....what I am saying is Hard work, Intensity, urgency and the like, cannot be ignored....especially as some kind of chaotic or maniacal, (as you describe it) style....its integral to teams who win things.

I am not dismissing all the reasons and excuses, that have been put forward, to our drop off.....but to suggest, UE has a style or an intention to not engage in some of those things is folly....He is too wise a man, not to accept a style, that dismisses the oppositions exploits....however, you negate them.

If today, a United winger Roasts the arse of one of our full backs, you can safely say, he has not told the full back to allow that.

I will sign off by saying....I accept its all about opinions, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

PS don't just assume, when we are being overrun, that the plan is working....plans are one thing, what players do, is another.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

About what? They hounded him out during a difficult post-Wenger period and they weren't even doing that badly.

That they had a good run initially but then started to see a complete collapse in results… 

King Unai has to earn his corn now. The boys played well today but that will have really knocked their confidence. We need to go on a run now. Five or six wins on the bounce. We are capable but we need to just pick ourselves up and go for it.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

King Unai has to earn his corn now. The boys played well today but that will have really knocked their confidence. We need to go on a run now. Five or six wins on the bounce. We are capable but we need to just pick ourselves up and go for it.

It’s not unais fault he lost Pau.konsa and and an in form digne to injuries. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zero7 said:

It’s not unais fault he lost Pau.konsa and and an in form digne to injuries. 

I didn’t say it was. Unai is King. What he is doing at Villa is simply incredible. We need him to pick them up and we go again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

About what? They hounded him out during a difficult post-Wenger period and they weren't even doing that badly.

When they sacked him they were on their worst run of form since the early 90s. I think he was on a hiding to nothing trying to take over that squad post Wenger but every manager would get the sack if they produced their teams worst run of form for nearly 30 years.

14 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

Does anybody know why we took Bailey off when we did?  Did he have a knock? Bailey was rinsing Lindeloff everytime. Strange substitution 

He hardly ever plays 90 minutes, not sure why it's an issue.

Players still missing is the biggest problem, our first team is 11 players, the squad is not built to be CL challengers, so you lot can cut Emery some slack.

• Like 1

I wonder how he navigates this.

I think he is now seeing some of the players have a weak mentality.  When the pressure is off and nobody expects anything they perform.

Once we got to 2nd place and the pressure was on to stay there they have collapsed somewhat.  Yes we have also had defensive injuries that clearly do not help but I don't think that's the main issue. 

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I think he is now seeing some of the players have a weak mentality.  When the pressure is off and nobody expects anything they perform.

Once we got to 2nd place and the pressure was on to stay there they have collapsed somewhat.  Yes we have also had defensive injuries that clearly do not help but I don't think that's the main issue. 

We had a rough spell last year from memory, didn't we lose 3 on the bounce, including leicester and arsenal at home. We got through that. 

Like you say, he'll see the players that don't have what it takes. 

Also, we're missing our 4 best defenders - Konsa, Mings, Torres and Digne, three of which have been instrumental this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We had a couple of opportunities to go top IIRC (definitely had one) and failed to take it. Now we're failing miserably generally. Today could have been a turning point, but nowhere near.

Â