Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think Emery is pretty limited in options at the moment, and tactically that makes him more predictable.

If you’re an opposition coaching team doing your homework on Villa, it’s pretty obvious who’s going to be starting atm, and what the plan is going to be.

That would be different with another starting striker or winger, with Buendia available to cause mayhem in midfield, with Pau available to spring attacks from deep, and so on.

For that reason, I’m not sure much of the criticism is justified even though I completely agree we’ve dropped off badly in recent games.

Completely agree.

Other managers look at the opposition they are due to play and adjust tactics to suit. We are a bit too predictable at the moment and easy to play against, but we don't really have much option due to so many of our creative players being injured...

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

We're definitely in a bit of a slump but have some very decent fixtures ahead, a new signing for the first team, and hopefully some key players coming back soon. We're also still competing on three fronts. 

I know Villa fans love to be despondent but the overall picture is exceptionally rosy.

It absolutely is.

It's not even that we "should" be getting top 4. It's that through unbelievable performances, we've given ourselves such a great chance. And it will **** hurt to watch that slip away.

If we play like we did against City, we will beat Sheff Utd 7-0. That'll set us back on track.

• Like 2

Hopefully he speaks a bit to Luiz, McGinn, and Konsa to shoulder some of the responsibility that Pau had. I think for a few matches now, they go through the motions with Lenglet but Lenglet just takes a bit too long to make his decisions and they seem hesitant to pass it to him to direct.

Additionally - Moreno seemed overly concerned in providing an outlet to him instead of pushing high to pin Trippier back.

It's not that we can't win without either Mings or Pau, but it's that I find we're having to difficulty winning without either of them.

Mings and Pau provided leadership in different ways. So while Mings wasn't necessarily the distributor that Pau is, he still took the responsibility of initiating the attack. Pau obviously can not defend corners like Mings, but powered us to a league leading attack in the first half. Lenglet is just not that guy.

So Konsa/Luiz/McGinn need to step up and Unai has to speak to them and initiate this forward progress so that everyone isn't in a malaise waiting for the next move.

Another great press conference from this King today. I was starting to feel a bit nervous about tomorrow until I watched that and remembered that we have a bone fide football God in charge. We’re gonna thrash those scamps tomorrow. UTV

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Another great press conference from this King today. I was starting to feel a bit nervous about tomorrow until I watched that and remembered that we have a bone fide football God in charge. We’re gonna thrash those scamps tomorrow. UTV

Just pure class and dignity (the norm for him) when he also talked about referees and other coaches constantly talking to the fourth official…spot on. It’s obvious and (similar to what Ange said), they’re just trying to push things in their favour or cheat. Arteta is a perfect example, for me, of that kind of cheating and pettiness… his team reflects on him too… but others like Pep and Klopp are just/almost as bad…

Sometimes, I feel like pinching myself because I can’t believe how lucky we are… we have the perfect manager, coach and… man… tbh, to lead and represent our club.

I liked Deano for a few reasons but… we really levelled up (staggeringly so) as well as we could’ve done with Unai. A shame about the egotistical spoofer we had in between but… that’s over. There is no one I would rather have in charge…

I intend to back and support Unai more than any manager we’ve ever had, have more trust and faith in him than any other one, and most of all…. he is so much more capable and adept than any of those individuals have ever been…this is the time to relax and enjoy! Sod the complaining, sod any negativity…

Now is the time to believe and stand by the club more than any other and to accept or tolerate blips or slumps because I truly believe that King Unai will just have us thriving and excelling…it just might take more time and patience than some people are willing to allow but… we need to realise the level and speed of progress and that it’s because of his work that expectation levels have been raised so high.. as he says, he is very demanding…

Simply brilliant.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Out of interest what did you find impressive about the press conference ?

We need to pick up some momentum again both to recreate daylight between us and trailing clubs, as well as to hopefully demoralise them a bit.

Whilst we are increasingly catchable, it will only galvanised them more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Just his whole demeanour. He is so calm, thoughtful and professional. He also treats people with respect and dignity. Under all of that though there is a determination that exudes from every pore on that man’s body. He is class and we are so lucky to have him. No matter what has gone on before, when he talks, he gives me unbelievable confidence in his ability. Imagine what that persona must do for the team!

Thanks and well put. Couldn’t agree more.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Just his whole demeanour. He is so calm, thoughtful and professional. He also treats people with respect and dignity. Under all of that though there is a determination that exudes from every pore on that man’s body. He is class and we are so lucky to have him. No matter what has gone on before, when he talks, he gives me unbelievable confidence in his ability. Imagine what that persona must do for the team!

Love this, spot on.

I hope the players realise how lucky they are and are doing their all to impress and please him in training and out on that pitch where it matters most…

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need to pick up some momentum again both to recreate daylight between us and trailing clubs, as well as to hopefully demoralise them a bit.

Whilst we are increasingly catchable, it will only galvanised them more.

I’m sure we’ll “be back” or “on it” again really soon… got to resist the negativity or pessimism… we know how Unai works his ass off and how studious he is… it’s up to the players to meet his demands…

Confident in saying that we will pick up or hit form and go on another impressive run… see no reason not to believe that or feel deflated or defeated…

Unai has overcome every bit of adversity, every challenge and obstacle so far… when none of our previous managers would have had it in them to be frank… a few injuries and they would’ve been crying and we would have wilted badly…

And if we are really in a slump/blip… we’ve still picked up points and not gone on the kind of depressing run we’ve been used to in the not to distant past… we’re made of stronger stuff these days… this is not the old Villa… we’re still in a great position in the league.

It’s a long season, full of ups and downs… no one ever really cruises it… can’t be amazing in every game…

I do think Unai has kind of “over achieved” with the players he has… our squad is not as strong or deep as those of the clubs around us… (especially with the rotten and severe injuries we’ve had) but that doesn’t mean we won’t continue in the same vein… I think we’ll still see impressive performances and get brilliant results…

plenty of games and so much to play for… Unai‘s going to do his best to make the most of it… that’s good enough for me…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I’m sure we’ll “be back” or “on it” again really soon… got to resist the negativity or pessimism… we know how Unai works his ass off and how studious he is… it’s up to the players to meet his demands…

Confident in saying that we will pick up or hit form and go on another impressive run… see no reason not to believe that or feel deflated or defeated…

Unai has overcome every bit of adversity, every challenge and obstacle so far… when none of our previous managers would have had it in them to be frank… a few injuries and they would’ve been crying and we would have wilted badly…

And if we are really in a slump/blip… we’ve still picked up points and not gone on the kind of depressing run we’ve been used to in the not to distant past… we’re made of stronger stuff these days… this is not the old Villa… we’re still in a great position in the league.

It’s a long season, full of ups and downs… no one ever really cruises it… can’t be amazing in every game…

I do think Unai has kind of “over achieved” with the players he has… our squad is not as strong or deep as those of the clubs around us… (especially with the rotten and severe injuries we’ve had) but that doesn’t mean we won’t continue in the same vein… I think we’ll still see impressive performances and get brilliant results…

plenty of games and so much to play for… Unai‘s going to do his best to make the most of it… that’s good enough for me…

While I think I agree with most of what you say, I have one question… is 23 ellipses in one post a personal best?

On 25/01/2024 at 14:30, DJBOB said:

Looks like he's giving a few of the young lads a chance. Love to see it and should be a good time for them to train with the first team, get a few minutes without overwhelming them into a starting position right away.

If they're good enough, they will earn their spot.

Much better to go about it this way than to keep plugging in non-improving veterans.

It heartens me to see that.....I can excuse a bit of raw talent, I can't excuse passive play.

31 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

While I think I agree with most of what you say, I have one question… is 23 ellipses in one post a personal best?

“Piss off” mate 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

His performance overall has been amazing, but personally, I felt we would falter, at some stage, not because of him, but because of certain facets of the team are not quite right for me.....based on the games we have played, not the league table.

I think Unai, has got as much as he can out of this team, and I think moving forward the profile will change....we are not as well equipped as some teams, to lose the key players, we have and I think it has highlighted, some of our shortfalls.

I don't know where we will finish, but top 4 for me, was a big ask. I think under certain conditions, we can pose as a top 4 team and under other conditions, we find it a stretch.

I understand the comment "over achieved" but so far we have acheived nothing......its like playing startling snooker over 8 frames of a 35 frame match, its just half way there....or running a world class time half way through a marathon.

Bless us fans....we have been through some tough times, and some of our form has got us a bit ahead of ourselves....and I accept the thought of you have to enjoy it while you can, yes....but you have to see it for what it is too.

To have a realistic view, is not pessimism, to see the oppositions task, of just stopping us is not negative.....Its simply a consciousness, of how we have to deal, and negate, with how they are dealing with us....its competing.

We cannot just accept we have the right to champagne football, we have to work for it, and they may not be pretty.

To get back on track, is not a simple task of resuming, the eye catching football, we have mustered.....its about finding a way, to winning the right, to resume it.

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

His performance overall has been amazing, but personally, I felt we would falter, at some stage, not because of him, but because of certain facets of the team are not quite right for me.....based on the games we have played, not the league table.

I think Unai, has got as much as he can out of this team, and I think moving forward the profile will change....we are not as well equipped as some teams, to lose the key players, we have and I think it has highlighted, some of our shortfalls.

I don't know where we will finish, but top 4 for me, was a big ask. I think under certain conditions, we can pose as a top 4 team and under other conditions, we find it a stretch.

I understand the comment "over achieved" but so far we have acheived nothing......its like playing startling snooker over 8 frames of a 35 frame match, its just half way there....or running a world class time half way through a marathon.

Bless us fans....we have been through some tough times, and some of our form has got us a bit ahead of ourselves....and I accept the thought of you have to enjoy it while you can, yes....but you have to see it for what it is too.

To have a realistic view, is not pessimism, to see the oppositions task, of just stopping us is not negative.....Its simply a consciousness, of how we have to deal, and negate, with how they are dealing with us....its competing.

We cannot just accept we have the right to champagne football, we have to work for it, and they may not be pretty.

To get back on track, is not a simple task of resuming, the eye catching football, we have mustered.....its about finding a way, to winning the right, to resume it.

We can obviously highlight flaws or mistakes and criticise appropriately (no one is perfect) and identify areas for improvement but there’s no need or even justification to believe or state that we will fall apart or slide down the table either… basically, not repeat behaviour or comments of the past where, ok maybe a small minority, start slating the manager and believing we are doomed or cursed…

There’s no one better equipped and more knowledgeable or capable of addressing any issues we may have… that’s mainly what I’m pointing at. I want to embrace this era and fully back and endorse this manager because I have full faith and trust in him… I mean, it was kind of an unlikely or unexpected appointment too… I’m sure many thought “how have they got him?”…

To repeat myself again… the fact that he has overcome challenges and adversity such as major injuries to key players and yet got us battling at the right end of the table… is remarkable… that is “over achieving” but not in the sense that it’s unsustainable or unlikely… I’m pointing to the fact that, at long last, we have a truly elite coach and manager at the club… we don’t need to be restless, negative, moaning and groaning etc. etc.

Just imagine if none of those players had got injured… how strong and impressive would we be looking now??? 😮

In no way do I mean to have a go at you or dredge up old stuff, but (as an example) you’ve been supportive of far inferior men in the past… and they didn’t deserve that kind of support tbh - the criticism was fully justified and they were sent on their way… they didn’t have the capability, nous or skill to deal with many problems… and they wilted under the pressure…

Unai has already overcome such difficulties or conundrums… and he will do it again, many times…

He is a class apart and we’re bloody luck to have him!

He just won’t stand for mediocrity and decline (like some arguably did)… the demands and ambitions are high… but it was never going to be a smooth ride…

He has exceeded all expectation… so let’s not be too critical when we have a minor blip… it’s no more than that imo and… it will be addressed…

Just the way I feel and see it… not aimed at or a direct response to you… I just want to take a more relaxed approach and enjoy the experience, to enjoy this era without being unfair or unnecessarily disgruntled - like a spoilt brat…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â