January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

7 hours ago, burchy said:

At times I just think they’re everything wrong with Football, a bit strong I know but from hoarding young players like they’re panini stickers to paying ridiculous amounts to cash grabbing teenagers, they’re just an arsehole of a club (IMHO of course). 

Chelsea have sadly gotten away with it for years - they broke many rules signing teenagers under 18 and got sanctioned but it didn’t stop them. They are scummy, horrid club which I will all detest immensely. They are and so are other elite clubs in what is tantamount to child trafficking when they try and bring in such young talent - you still need to give them a good standard of living and education. Madrid have basically found a loophole on this rule to sign this Brazilian lad also. 

I think we need two new strikers, one starter (Thuram if we can convince him) and a young up and coming prospect. I’d like to dip our toe in the Brazilian market and go after Marcos Leonardo at Santos.

I would have said Datro Fofana but that boat has sailed to Chelsea apparently 

Others worth a mention; Amine Gouiri, Noah Okafor, Goncalo Ramos, Mathys Tel, Vitinha, Terem Moffi, Brian Brobbey Vitor Roque, 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, burchy said:

I think we need two new strikers, one starter (Thuram if we can convince him) and a young up and coming prospect. I’d like to dip our toe in the Brazilian market and go after Marcos Leonardo at Santos.

I would have said Datro Fofana but that boat has sailed to Chelsea apparently 

Others worth a mention; Amine Gouiri, Noah Okafor, Goncalo Ramos, Mathys Tel, Vitinha, Terem Moffi, Brian Brobbey Vitor Roque, 

Didnt think you would be recommending thuram based on ur expertise 

I do like the sound of Thuram. Seems like a perfect fit for us. Him and Bailey as wide strikers would be a real handful.

We need a marque signing. The Moffi link and similar are underwhelming and risks that we don't need to take.

I wouldn't mind Sarr either, but not convinced he is consistent enough.

For me a left winger, that is comfortable as a striker too. Is the minimum we need in attack. Ideally we'd sign a technical, creative striker, a pacy left winger that can also play as a fast striker, and a top class ball playing right centre back. This is what we need to push the team forward. We can sell McGinn and Nakamba, and probably Sanson too. I'd also move on Ings if we get both attacking players.

32 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I do like the sound of Thuram. Seems like a perfect fit for us. Him and Bailey as wide strikers would be a real handful.

We need a marque signing. The Moffi link and similar are underwhelming and risks that we don't need to take.

I wouldn't mind Sarr either, but not convinced he is consistent enough.

For me a left winger, that is comfortable as a striker too. Is the minimum we need in attack. Ideally we'd sign a technical, creative striker, a pacy left winger that can also play as a fast striker, and a top class ball playing right centre back. This is what we need to push the team forward. We can sell McGinn and Nakamba, and probably Sanson too. I'd also move on Ings if we get both attacking players.

I kind of agree with most of this - but I am a little concerned about a "converted" winger who is comfortable as a striker.  I think we need the opposite - a striker who knows how to score goals who can also play wide left and attack defenders with the ball at his feet and beat them for pace.  I know that that probably describes a player that almost every club in the world would be wanting to sign.

The reason being that Bailey can do the wide role and I think we need someone who can do a bit of that but can also put their head on the ball in a crowded box and / or find that little bit of space in the box to score tap-ins from rebounds, etc.  A younger, more mobile and quicker version Ings rather than a better version of Ollie who can control the ball, read the game and shoot.  Ultimately we probably need both but I doubt we can do that in a single window.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, allani said:

I kind of agree with most of this - but I am a little concerned about a "converted" winger who is comfortable as a striker.  I think we need the opposite - a striker who knows how to score goals who can also play wide left and attack defenders with the ball at his feet and beat them for pace.  I know that that probably describes a player that almost every club in the world would be wanting to sign.

The reason being that Bailey can do the wide role and I think we need someone who can do a bit of that but can also put their head on the ball in a crowded box and / or find that little bit of space in the box to score tap-ins from rebounds, etc.  A younger, more mobile and quicker version Ings rather than a better version of Ollie who can control the ball, read the game and shoot.  Ultimately we probably need both but I doubt we can do that in a single window.

agree which is why I'd like both. A winger that can play as a striker, and a striker that can play as a 10.

I think the winger that can play as a striker would suit our current formation better, as the strikers are are wide strikers, play as a cross between a winger and a striker. Once Jacob is fit I think he can get loads of goal coming from deep as the most offensive of the two supporting players.

The striker that can play as a 10 would slot in nicely between the two quick wingers, dropping off and providing extra creativity in the middle to counter the low block we struggle so much with.

With 3 or 4 players that can score 10 to 15 goals each.  We won't need to rely one player to score 20 plus.

If we can't get Thuram, what about Moussa Dembele? 

Had a good season last year with Lyon scoring 22 goals and 5 assists in 36 games, his contract is also running out in June 2023 so would be relatively cheap and is only 26.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If we can't get Thuram, what about Moussa Dembele? 

Had a good season last year with Lyon scoring 22 goals and 5 assists in 36 games, his contract is also running out in June 2023 so would be relatively cheap and is only 26.

He’s probably worth a punt if we can really get him on the cheap. But I also saw him being linked with Arsenal and United, so not sure if he’s a realistic target. Terrible start to this season for him too so not sure about going all out to attract him.

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Love to find a prime Benteke. He’d have had a field day playing in this team. 

What about the Nigerian striker Paul Onuachu? I feel he would do well here. 6'6" good with the ball at his feet, strong and scoring goals at Genk. Not a youngster but more of an immediate impact player.

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

What about the Nigerian striker Paul Onuachu? I feel he would do well here. 6'6" good with the ball at his feet, strong and scoring goals at Genk. Not a youngster but more of an immediate impact player.

Mate I don’t watch any European football at all so I can’t comment on certain players.

Would love a player like CB though. 

On 15/12/2022 at 15:52, DaveAV1 said:

Goats can’t hold a light to a Duck Billed Platypus when it comes to weird looks. 

That must push the GOAT close for weird looks.

Black Dragon fish.jpg

4 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

His numbers certainly catch the eye.

Haven't seen him play, but must be worth monitoring.

Wesley was a failure, but only due to injury. He would have been a wrecking ball by now.

Benteke was a huge success.Brilliant out of the blue signing. 

We have bought what i would call obvious signings the last 3 years. Would be good to pick up one that has technical as well as physical attributes.  Ings and Watkins mixed together would be great.

7 hours ago, allani said:

I know what we need....I just don't know who it is.

I think you describe it too.