U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

As expected, the final will be this Monday, May 15th at 7pm in Elland Road.

19:00 Leeds United v Nottingham Forest

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Leeds beat Forest 3-0 last night. So that's them up!

Oh and yes I checked for ringers. They only used Rutter again. Although he did score their opener and set them on their way.

It's an interesting proposal. Certainly very different, and has its merits. Although there is the drawback mentioned in the article that "some club officials are concerned that the new one-tier format would reduce the amount of jeopardy or meaningful competition in the latter stages of the season".

It won't be coming in until 24/25 at the earliest though, so we're OK for now :)

14 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Is there a reason why they wouldn’t want to increase the number of games in a season? That would allow more players able to get match experience? 20 seems low to me. 

I think with young players there's an importance in not overplaying them, letting them develop, young players pick up injuries as they develop physically and with two domestic competitions on top of the league, too many games might not be helpful to their development.

They restructure these leagues quite often I think, but it's noticeable that the number of games doesn't seem to change significantly when they do.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think with young players there's an importance in not overplaying them, letting them develop, young players pick up injuries as they develop physically and with two domestic competitions on top of the league, too many games might not be helpful to their development.

They restructure these leagues quite often I think, but it's noticeable that the number of games doesn't seem to change significantly when they do.

Saved me a job :P 

• Like 1

To play in Premier League U21 league divsion 1 or division 2, a club has to have a category 1 academy, only so many clubs can have this as it costs a lot of money, I think I read around £4m a year, so the number of games they play is going to be in part limited by that.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

To play in Premier League U21 league divsion 1 or division 2, a club has to have a category 1 academy, only so many clubs can have this as it costs a lot of money, I think I read around £4m a year, so the number of games they play is going to be in part limited by that.

Yes but I think the question probably originated from the fact that there are currently 25 category 1 teams, so straight away you have 48 potential league games if you chuck them all in the one division as is being mooted.  The answer of course is that you don't want to burn out the youngsters. But the number of games is not currently limited by the number of academies.

The proposal seem similar to what I was saying on last page, or at least the reason for potential change

On 08/05/2023 at 21:24, useless said:

The same teams all have U18 sides, but they're split up between north and south rather having a division 1 and division 2, not sure why the U21 league doesn't just do that, I suppose it gives the U21 leagues more of a sense of competition which is maybe a good thing as the players get closer to senior football, but also I think if U21 league was just split between North and South and promotion was taken out of the equation then that would encourage more individual player development, as for example would stop teams like Leeds selecting senior players at the expense of academy players that should be getting development time, in desperate attempt to get promoted..

From Training Ground Guru article 'The idea is that by removing relegation, development decisions will take priority over league position. In recent years, some clubs have opted to retain players for longer than they otherwise might have in order to boost their PL2 position, or they have recruited specifically for the U21 age group.'

Not to the same extent as a team like Leeds, but could argue we have been guilty of it to a degree ourselves this season, as chaing the play-offs we gave a lot of game time to players we knew we were going to be releasing when instead we could have given that game time to younger players.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/05/2023 at 17:17, useless said:

The proposal seem similar to what I was saying on last page, or at least the reason for potential change

From Training Ground Guru article 'The idea is that by removing relegation, development decisions will take priority over league position. In recent years, some clubs have opted to retain players for longer than they otherwise might have in order to boost their PL2 position, or they have recruited specifically for the U21 age group.'

Not to the same extent as a team like Leeds, but could argue we have been guilty of it to a degree ourselves this season, as chaing the play-offs we gave a lot of game time to players we knew we were going to be releasing when instead we could have given that game time to younger players.

There's a thread for that... ahead of your time ;).

If we didn't know that the PL were incompetent and couldn't plan anything without 3 years notice,  I'd suggest they stole your idea.

14 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Confirmed.

Oof, confirmed and seemingly starting immediately. Assuming 'next season' is the one coming up, rather than the one after it?

• Like 1

Right, I think I'm ready to go now regardless of format :D 

Aston Villa statistics : 2023/2024 Premier League 2 - Under-21 development league

LEAGUE TABLE (as of 20/06/2023) P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Arsenal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Aston Villa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Blackburn Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Chelsea 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Crystal Palace 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Derby County 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Everton 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Fulham 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Leeds United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Leicester City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Liverpool 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Manchester City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Manchester United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Middlesbrough 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Newcastle United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Norwich City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Nottingham Forest 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Southampton 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Stoke City 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Sunderland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Tottenham Hotspur 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 West Bromwich Albion 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 West Ham United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

ARS AST BLA BRI CHE CRY DER EVE FUL LEE LEI LIV MCI MUN MID NEW NOR NOT SOU STO SUN TOT WBA WES WOL
ARS                                                  
AST                                                  
BLA                                                  
BRI                                                  
CHE                                                  
CRY                                                  
DER                                                  
EVE                                                  
FUL                                                  
LEE                                                  
LEI                                                  
LIV                                                  
MCI                                                  
MUN                                                  
MID                                                  
NEW                                                  
NOR                                                  
NOT                                                  
SOU                                                  
STO                                                  
SUN                                                  
TOT                                                  
WBA                                                  
WES                                                  
WOL                                                  
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Oof, confirmed and seemingly starting immediately. Assuming 'next season' is the one coming up, rather than the one after it?

Was wondering that too, but definitely this season coming.

• Like 1