U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well I never ...

"because if recent history is anything to go by, you can be damn sure Leeds will be packed full of players who've been barely visible in that side all season"

In their slight defence, he only turned 21 a few weeks back.

We should of Started Duran :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Well who’s broadcasting it if Leeds can’t stream it ?

No one. It's not allowed compete with a broadcasting Premier League game.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

No one. It's not allowed compete with a broadcasting Premier League game.

But I want to watch the Villa the Villa want to watch the Villa the Villa want to watch the Villa err err oh 

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

HT 2-1

Brad Young (16') for us, Fernandez (30') and S.T. Perkins (43') for them.

Mateo Joseph with their first.

Edit I see one of his 3 surnames is Fernández 😁

A shame - but it's been a productive season in which we've changed the team over. I think this team now gets a good go at it next term and we've seen some bright prospects emerge.

Next season will belong to Omari Kellyman.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

We should of Started Duran :D

This, but unironically. Why didn't we? We don't play again until the weekend, and he wouldn't be starting anyway. As @BOF pointed out, Leeds always put in senior players, so it's not like it would be 'unsporting' or something. 

Would have been nice to win and a good achievement for the players to get promotion, but truth be told I don't think promotion is the be all and end all, as there's really not much difference in qualifty between division 1 and division 2, it all gets distorted by teams putting player development before results, which is the right thing to do, but it means some of the better academies will have worse results than others because of sending players out on loan when possible, playing younger players ages up and so on.

The main thing that tells you the quality of U21 teams is more the status of the academy they belong to rather than whether they play in division 1 or division 2.

The same teams all have U18 sides, but they're split up between north and south rather having a division 1 and division 2, not sure why the U21 league doesn't just do that, I suppose it gives the U21 leagues more of a sense of competition which is maybe a good thing as the players get closer to senior football, but also I think if U21 league was just split between North and South and promotion was taken out of the equation then that would encourage more individual player development, as for example would stop teams like Leeds selecting senior players at the expense of academy players that should be getting development time, in desperate attempt to get promoted.

Still disappointing though, especially as our academy teams have lost quite a few semi-finals this season, Floodlit PL Cup, Albert Phelan PL Cup, PL National League U14 Cup, and also Final of U18 Premier League Cup and quarter-final of U17 PL Cup, still I guess it's good that we're going far in these competitions, and at least U16s managed to win U16 PL Cup.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it says something about the structure when Spurs win the U16 cup and the U18 cup and are relegated from the U21's.

It wasn't so long ago that Spurs didn't even participate in the PL2, preferring instead to send them all out on loan and arrange friendlies for whatever was left behind.  

• Like 1

I think for us, it feels a little like this season has been one full of college juniors who will be seniors next year - a lot of those with promise aren't yet ready for loans, so I think we'll see them develop with us and I think there are more than a few to get excited about watching.

• Like 1

Front page stats updated, for what it's worth. 2-1 defeat recorded.

It's worth pointing out that Bradley Young scored 8 league goals this season in 5 starts and 1 sub appearance. Remarkable. I trust he'll find a good destination for next season.

• Like 2