Fantasy NFL 2022-'23

maqroll

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Some very close ties this week. 

A couple of you should feel very hard done by. 

Not me.... my team is awful despite ratings not being too bad. Too many under-achievers.... can I rename them SJM 😄😄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Each of my opponents so far have had one  player go **** bananas against my solid output. Fully expecting this again.

Rob is up on all three players from other night, fully expecting a 50 point loss...

• Like 1

My problem is I just don't pay enough attention to the NFL. I'd never even heard of Ekeler before the draft! 

Seems like there's been a shift to WR being the marquee fantasy position..I should have drafted Diggs.

Edited by maqroll

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

My problem is I just don't pay enough attention to the NFL. I'd never even heard of Ekeler before the draft! 

Seems like there's been a shift to WR being the marquee fantasy position..I should have drafted Diggs.

I think the RB position diminished in value in each season since RG3 ushered in the era of mobile, rushing QBs.

The value comes entirely from the scarcity (and likelihood of injury) at the position and more teams opting for a committee of RBs, rather than pinning it mainly on one guy. There's only a few teams who go with the 'bell-cow' running back these days, and so everybody tries to snap them up early.

That's how I see it anyway.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Xela said:

I actually thought I had a reasonable team. Least i'll be near first pick next year! 

On the flipside, I shouldn't be 3-0, but thanks to a fortunate schedule and playing the waiver wire, I've managed to paper over the cracks.

On 26/09/2022 at 00:26, maqroll said:

On 26/09/2022 at 10:11, Beastmix said:

I think the RB position diminished in value in each season since RG3 ushered in the era of mobile, rushing QBs.

The value comes entirely from the scarcity (and likelihood of injury) at the position and more teams opting for a committee of RBs, rather than pinning it mainly on one guy. There's only a few teams who go with the 'bell-cow' running back these days, and so everybody tries to snap them up early.

That's how I see it anyway.

Interesting thoughts.  Whilst the RB position isn't what it used to be in terms of an offensive game plan, there are still some very good RBs in the league.

In terms of fantasy, RBs aren't being scored as favourably as WRs.  As an example, this week I scored 11.60 points for Najee Harris (15 carries, 56 yards, 1 TD; 3 Rec, 5 yards; 1 fumble knocked a couple of points off) and 12.90 points for Drake London (3 Rec, 54 yards, 1 TD).  NH is clearly doing a lot more work for the same amount of points and that doesn't feel right to me.  Looking at the scoring, RBs and WRs are the same in terms of distance related points however, WRs get 0.5 points per reception whereas there is no carry points for RBs.  

@Beastmix To avoid amending the distance scoring, perhaps for next season, 0.25 points per carry should be awarded to RBs?  Using my example, NH would have received 17.35 points (+3.75 for carries, +2 adding the fumble back) and Drake London 12.90 which feels more reflective of the effort each player made.

Example 100 yard game with TD:

RB:  20 carries (5 points), 100 yards (10 points), bonus (1.5 points), TD (6 points) = 22.5 points (17.5 points currently)

WR:  7 Receptions (3.5 points), 100 yards (10 points), bonus (1.5 points), TD (6 points) = 21 points

*Option to increase the points per reception to 1 but if a RB is also catching a lot of passes, this might quickly create an imbalance.

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

@Beastmix To avoid amending the distance scoring, perhaps for next season, 0.25 points per carry should be awarded to RBs and WRs can be upped to 1 per reception?  Using my example, NH would have received 18.85 points (+3.75 for carries, +1.50 for receptions, +2 adding the fumble back) and Drake London 14.40 (+1.50 for receptions) which feels more reflective of the effort each player made.

Example 100 yard game with TD:

RB:  20 carries (5 points), 100 yards (10 points), bonus (1.5 points), TD (6 points) = 22.5 points (17.5 points currently)

WR:  7 Receptions (7 points), 100 yards (10 points), bonus (1.5 points), TD (6 points) = 24.5 points (21 points currently)

Duly noted. I'll add it to the suggestions list for next pre-season.

You're right though, RBs should have been getting points per carry, which is standard in PPR. Bit of oversight on my part, so I apologise for that.

Wouldn't be right to amend it now.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Duly noted. I'll add it to the suggestions list for next pre-season.

You're right though, RBs should have been getting points per carry, which is standard in PPR. Bit of oversight on my part, so I apologise for that.

Wouldn't be right to amend it now.

AFAIK points per carry is not standard in any format. I've only ever seen it in this league. Going back to @Tubby's point, both players got 55-60 yards and a TD and got a similar amount of points. If we want to reflect real life football does that not make sense? 

One thing I have seen elsewhere which could be interesting is using PPFD (point per first down) instead of PPR. It then is more closely aligned to rewarding players that actually impact the game, no matter what position they play.

1 hour ago, rhyscartwright_avfc said:

AFAIK points per carry is not standard in any format. I've only ever seen it in this league. 

One thing I have seen elsewhere which could be interesting is using PPFD (point per first down) instead of PPR. It then is more closely aligned to rewarding players that actually impact the game, no matter what position they play.

Points per carry has always been standard in PPR leagues I've played. Nonetheless, in the spirit of democratically refining our league, it's interesting to hear everybody's experiences playing in other leagues too.

I'll add the PPFD to the suggestions list. It's a good suggestion. I'm not even sure if Yahoo has a setting for this, but I'll look into it.

11 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

We wouldn’t need to arrange trades through VT dm either….

Not sure why this is happening. Just put in the trade request on the Yahoo site and MAYBE, if you don't get a response within a reasonable time, then bump them with a DM?

Right, let's ready ourselves for week 4! (already!?)

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Not sure why this is happening. Just put in the trade request on the Yahoo site and MAYBE, if you don't get a response within a reasonable time, then bump them with a DM?

Right, let's ready ourselves for week 4! (already!?)

I know I've sent a few DM's out this week but the reason I do that rather than just send the request is I find you're a lot more likely to get some explanation/reasoning, find out what the other person is thinking and eventually come to an agreement than just sending blind trade requests. I've certainly had more success that way across the years anyway.

This league has always had minimal trade activity.

Edited by rhyscartwright_avfc

On 28/09/2022 at 10:52, rhyscartwright_avfc said:

AFAIK points per carry is not standard in any format. I've only ever seen it in this league. Going back to @Tubby's point, both players got 55-60 yards and a TD and got a similar amount of points. If we want to reflect real life football does that not make sense? 

Sorry but I don't see why the who gets a 1st down gets rewarded. 1st Down 9yds carry RB1 2nd 1yd RB2. Which player had most 'impact' on game? 

We used to have PPR but that seemed to over value RBs, especially the work horse types 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rhyscartwright_avfc said:

I know I've sent a few DM's out this week but the reason I do that rather than just send the request is I find you're a lot more likely to get some explanation/reasoning, find out what the other person is thinking and eventually come to an agreement than just sending blind trade requests. I've certainly had more success that way across the years anyway.

This league has always had minimal trade activity.

This. A discussion in my dynasty league often  tends to lead to a trade rather than just firing out trade offers.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Â